can you play this online?

#1Jedthehead91Posted 11/18/2012 4:42:47 PM
or is the multiplayer only local?
---
I have a learning disability, it is hard for me to understand technical stuff without clear instructions. Please forgive spelling and punctuation mistakes. Ty.
#2Ghost-inZeShellPosted 11/18/2012 6:00:22 PM
Jedthehead91 posted...
can you play this online?

No.
Jedthehead91 posted...
or is the multiplayer only local?

Only local.
---
Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin
Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Pikmin Wii U
#3SexPantherPandaPosted 12/1/2012 1:34:17 AM
God Nintendo it's 2012 no excuses at all for this not beng online, only a fanboy would defend them...
#4Ghost-inZeShellPosted 12/1/2012 6:32:42 AM
SexPantherPanda posted...
God Nintendo it's 2012 no excuses at all for this not beng online, only a fanboy would defend them...

They do have online games, they're just not very good.

I think it is from a lack of necessity.
No, Super Mario Sunshine would not be vastly improved by random-game-joining where you have 3+ other multi-color clones running around the same level you are, collecting all your coins, bouncing off each others heads, knocking things over, and getting everything sticky.

From what I heard when Nintendo said that there would be no online play for Pikmin 3 was that they did try, but due to the nature of the game, there was a severe lag problem.

I bet that they could fix it; (C&C works just fine) but it would take longer, and is honestly, not necessary.

You are right. It's 20XX, and Nintendo do not have their white-gloved hands firmly around this whole "internet-thing", yet.
#5ArtOWarfarePosted 12/1/2012 1:38:41 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
I bet that they could fix it; (C&C works just fine)

Oh BS to them not being able to do this. BS on 100 pikmin being too many.

StarCraft was released in 1997 with online play allowing for 8 players at a time with a unit cap of 200 per player plus another few hundred for non playable characters. So 15 years ago we had an online game allowing nearly 2K units to be in play at a time.

StarCraft II allows for 12 players and even more units per player, plus the units all have considerably more variables associated with them than in the first that need to be kept in sync.

I understand Blizzard is the king of online gaming (WoW?) but come on, surely Nintendo can make an online service with 1/20th of the capacity of Blizzard?

Plus, Battalion Wars II was online... that strikes me as pretty comparable to Pikmin... it has the same idea of a hybrid 3rd person + RTS game (BW & BWII are pretty awesome games to pick up if you haven't already to hold you over until Pikmin 3 is eventually released... it's basically Pikmin with more of a combat focus.)
#6_Taidow_Posted 12/1/2012 2:10:28 PM
Would create too much lag. The individual pikmin actions, the captains, the very detailed environment, and possible connection issues. No thank you.
---
Prior GFAQs name: AngelTails
http://i41.tinypic.com/25qvqfd.png - Thanks to Mew_ on Serebii Forums
#7Ghost-inZeShellPosted 12/1/2012 3:02:39 PM
I completely agree with ArtOfWarfare.
RTS games have been around for a long time, and online at that.
They have been able to function in a practical and competent manner.
Nintendo could have done it, if they wanted to.

I probably wouldn't play online, but I would have liked to have had the option.
#8Arcadia__personPosted 12/1/2012 6:42:51 PM
Yeah, it could clearly have been done with current technology. It just isn't. It is disappointing really-- I thought the Pikmin 2 multiplayer was pretty fun, and it would be nice to have ad the option to play it online.

Oh well I guess. That's just what you get with Nintendo. I'm a lot more upset that SSB online sucked in Brawl and will (likely) continue to suck than I am about this game.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia
#9ArtOWarfarePosted 12/1/2012 10:49:39 PM
_Taidow_ posted...
Would create too much lag. The individual pikmin actions, the captains, the very detailed environment, and possible connection issues. No thank you.

How many games have you programmed? How many networking applications? None? Good. As an indie developer, I can tell you it's not only possible, it's easy (if you can set up a proper network.) If online multiplayer isn't in this game, isn't because Nintendo chose not to, not because it wasn't possible. Why might they not want to? I feel like Nintendo is having a renewed effort in changing the social element of video games. Nintendo wants you to actually be in the room with the people you're playing with, and for those people to be actual friends that you actually talk to. I, for one, applaud their efforts and hope they succeed.
#10Arcadia__personPosted 12/2/2012 5:55:10 PM
ArtOWarfare posted...
_Taidow_ posted...

How many games have you programmed? How many networking applications? None? Good. As an indie developer, I can tell you it's not only possible, it's easy (if you can set up a proper network.) If online multiplayer isn't in this game, isn't because Nintendo chose not to, not because it wasn't possible. Why might they not want to? I feel like Nintendo is having a renewed effort in changing the social element of video games. Nintendo wants you to actually be in the room with the people you're playing with, and for those people to be actual friends that you actually talk to. I, for one, applaud their efforts and hope they succeed.

Please don't give Nintendo credit for putting in less effort and options into their games than they could. You can easily just put in both local and online multiplayer, and I can absolutely guarantee that Nintendo is not avoiding online to encourage togetherness. They are doing it because they think the fiscal cost of adding it in outweighs the fiscal benefit they would receive for it. They're a business, it's what they do.

Basically, Nintendo won't be adding in decent online experiences until fans demand it and sales of their products start dropping. I have enough fun with Nintendo's games that I'll buy them regardless, but I do wish that they could get it together in terms of online play.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia