I won't stop you from being angry at the delay, but...

#1AvatarOfBaganPosted 12/9/2012 12:08:01 AM
I, for one, would rather wait and get a finished, excellent game then an incomplete game.

Granted, several of my favorite games fall into the category of "unfinished" games.

However, part of my deep enjoyment stems from is seeign the great game that it fell short of (Godzilla unleashed for Wii is an excellent example).

However, some are simply unredeemable, such as Sonic 06 where the only thing finished were the cinematics, leaving gameplay as a sub par beta.

You may be griping "But the game is finished! I want it NOW!"

Do you work at Nintendo? if not, then how do you know 100% it is 100% finished? The answer is that you don't and you're, frankly, overreacting.

Relax, it'll be in your hands and you'll be enjoying it, don't blow a gasket that it isn't RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

i'm certain you can find something else to play/do until then.
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.
#2PlasmashedgehogPosted 12/9/2012 6:55:23 AM
IMO; The game is already finished, they just want us to buy the rereleases and cheap launch games (because if they release a really good 1st party game then noone would buy the cheap launch games)
---
someone in a parallel dimension is trying to find Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up",but can only find videos of the upcoming pokemon.
#3Boo DestroyerPosted 12/9/2012 3:32:10 PM
Completed, but gone gold yet?

Those two aren't the same thing, you know.
#4DanspurtPosted 12/9/2012 4:26:50 PM(edited)
Boo Destroyer posted...
Completed, but gone gold yet?

Those two aren't the same thing, you know.

Aren't they? When the developer considers the game completed, the completed game is what goes gold.

And hey guys, while the basic build might be complete, a thorough bug search is never bad.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#5pikmintaroPosted 12/9/2012 7:03:31 PM
I, for one, would rather wait and get a finished, excellent game then an incomplete game.

Granted, several of my favorite games fall into the category of "unfinished" games.

However, part of my deep enjoyment stems from is seeign the great game that it fell short of (Godzilla unleashed for Wii is an excellent example).

However, some are simply unredeemable, such as Sonic 06 where the only thing finished were the cinematics, leaving gameplay as a sub par beta.

You may be griping "But the game is finished! I want it NOW!"

Do you work at Nintendo? if not, then how do you know 100% it is 100% finished? The answer is that you don't and you're, frankly, overreacting.

Relax, it'll be in your hands and you'll be enjoying it, don't blow a gasket that it isn't RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

i'm certain you can find something else to play/do until then.

I don't think Godzilla Unleashed was "Unfinished" I've played it a lot more recently, and all the kaiju that were planned to be in it were there, the only problem is the massive amount of glitches, they could have delayed it awhile and taken care of those and I would be happy, but other than those it is the ultimate Godzilla game for me.
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#6Ghost-inZeShellPosted 12/9/2012 7:23:40 PM
My game would be P.N.03
It was a Capcom title that was developed for the GameCube by a tiny team with a little amount of time.

Many could (and have) argued that it was unfinished.
It was unfortunately unpopular, but was special to me.
#7ArtOWarfarePosted 12/9/2012 8:28:19 PM
I've been programming for... 8 years now?

Something I've learned is that getting to 90% done is a lot faster than 99% done and that's a lot faster than 99.9% done. As you get closer to being finished, it takes exponentially more time to continue working. Why? I haven't determined it yet... maybe because you're always saving the most stubborn, difficult bugs for last. Or maybe because moral depletes. IDK. Just letting you guys who maybe haven't done software development before know.
#8universaldavePosted 12/10/2012 4:49:52 AM
I want the game to be finished and bug free just like everyone else. Still, it's not like Pikmin 2 came out 2 years ago. If it's not done now it's still Nintendos fault for not putting enough effort into it sooner.
---
Gamefaqs: where men who can't get dates take every opportunity to tell everyone about their incredibly high standards when it comes to women.
#9Ghost-inZeShellPosted 12/10/2012 10:08:40 AM
universaldave posted...
I want the game to be finished and bug free just like everyone else. Still, it's not like Pikmin 2 came out 2 years ago. If it's not done now it's still Nintendos fault for not putting enough effort into it sooner.

Hmm... interesting thought. You are right. Even though it has been 8 years since Pikmin 2, they haven't been working on the game that whole time.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they only decided to make a new one about 2 or 3 years ago.
Just before they started working on making a new console.

I remember because there was an interview with Miyamoto about it.
He said that it was originally going to be a Wii game, but then Nintendo started up on this "Wii 2" and he knew that he could do a lot more with better hardware.

But ultimately, UniversalDave, you are correct. IF they started this back in 2004, right after finishing Pikmin 2, then we probably would have seen it released (and 100% complete) by 2007.
(it was a three year difference between Pikmin 1, released in 2001, and Pikmin 2, released in 2004)
#10AvatarOfBagan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 11:22:09 AM
pikmintaro posted...

I don't think Godzilla Unleashed was "Unfinished" I've played it a lot more recently, and all the kaiju that were planned to be in it were there, the only problem is the massive amount of glitches, they could have delayed it awhile and taken care of those and I would be happy, but other than those it is the ultimate Godzilla game for me.

Don't get me wrong, as I said, I love it, but after reading some interviews with the game creators, there were plans to make it even more grand then it was.

An example was that the game's adventure mode was set to be a set number of days long with each day taking place in a specific area that the player chose (which it still is).

However, the real kicker is that it was going to have a vastly more random encounter rate. Such as perhaps you end up in Seattle, but there are NO monsters, leaving you to do whatever you want for the length of the day. You could destroy the city, you could attack the military, or you could be passive and choose to leave the city (via a special "doorway" ) and thus end the day, gaining respective allegiances.

The closest this ever plays out in the finished game is a stage where no other daikaiju opponents show up RIGHT AWAY, but you know they WILL show up sooner or later, regardless if they are the same affiliated factions you have befriended or not.

---

But basically, my use of that analogy is to give an example of how things in Pikmin 3 could play out if it is not completely finished.

Such as spawn ratio's for certain tough foes. I'm sure it'd really be a pain if that crab foe showed up EVERY day, no matter how often you killed it.

Or how about that dark zone? Do the mushrooms turn off when the day is over? Do they stay on marking where you have or haven't gone? Do random ones stay on? These things can alter the gameplay drastically if they aren't ironed out and I'd like things to be more cleaned up before it gets released.

Won't be much fun if that hunting mob of bulbears walks into your camp EVERY SINGLE DAY forcing you to waste valuable time and pikmin fighting them instead of getting things completed.
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.