Wider Variety of Landscapes?

#1ArtOWarfarePosted 1/3/2013 8:28:25 AM
Has anyone else noticed the rather limited pallet of terrain in the first two Pikmin games?

Impact Site: Dirt, water, grass
Forest of Hope: Dirt, water, grass
Forest Navel: Dirt, water, grass, abyss
Distance Spring: Dirt, water, grass
Final Trial: Dirt, grass

Valley of Repose: Snow, concrete/asphault, water
Awakening Wood: Dirt, water, grass, flowers
Perplexing Pool: Dirt, water, grass, rocks, tile, rust
Wistful Wild: Leaves, water, rocks

They also had some indoor looking areas in some of the caves.

I'll admit they got a lot better with the second game, but come on, really?

I'd like to see a much wider variety of terrain in Pikmin 3. Maybe some magma areas or deserts or entirely submerged areas. It'd be nice to have more than just dirt, water, and grass.
#2shadowreaper7Posted 1/3/2013 10:36:36 AM
ArtOWarfare posted...
Has anyone else noticed the rather limited pallet of terrain in the first two Pikmin games?

Impact Site: Dirt, water, grass
Forest of Hope: Dirt, water, grass
Forest Navel: Dirt, water, grass, abyss
Distance Spring: Dirt, water, grass
Final Trial: Dirt, grass

Valley of Repose: Snow, concrete/asphault, water
Awakening Wood: Dirt, water, grass, flowers
Perplexing Pool: Dirt, water, grass, rocks, tile, rust
Wistful Wild: Leaves, water, rocks

They also had some indoor looking areas in some of the caves.

I'll admit they got a lot better with the second game, but come on, really?

I'd like to see a much wider variety of terrain in Pikmin 3. Maybe some magma areas or deserts or entirely submerged areas. It'd be nice to have more than just dirt, water, and grass.

Some different flooring types i'd like to see:
Sand
autumnal Forest (I.e. Leaves & twigs - Wisftul wild esque)
Swamp - Darker water complete with aquatic grass variants.
Hot spring - Clear blue water, with old pikmin 1 style fire gyesers underneath the pool (not spewing fire ofc) complete the look with some steam.

If its entire area's, i wouldn't mind seeing a larger coastal style area.
I mean you could have a small stream running through a forest, which enters a beach, which leads to the sea. Travel out to the sea and at the farthest end find a Coral reef, and at the opposite end of the sea, a small cavern partially submerged complete with glowcaps.

A desert is also an area i wouldn't mind. Neither would i mind a moutainous region (complete with magma) bearing a strong resemblance to the forest navel.
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#3zeppelincheetahPosted 1/3/2013 2:10:01 PM
we need a desert level and an ice level, complete with seeing each pikmin's breath.
---
if you wouldn't mind i would like to lose
~ c h e e t a h ~
#4sreamer14ydrPosted 1/4/2013 6:09:42 AM
I do agree the levels in both games are short, not in terms of size but overall. In Pikmin 1 there were 4 levels, and in Pikmin 2 there were 4 levels as well. In Pikmin 2 they were in the form of seasons on the planet.

So Pikmin 3 should have a wider array of levels. You can have your spring and grass themed level, your winter ice theme level, your fall looking level, and a watery level, but add more than 4 levels. We could have a windy level, a desert theme level, more icy and watery levels, a darker theme level. I hope this game has at least 7 levels~
#5andis1992Posted 1/5/2013 11:38:58 PM
I would love to see a more diversified landscape in Pikmin, but i have two problems with the idea.

diverse, or what people seem to be calling for, "extreme" landscapes are not hospitable for most types of pikmin. lava areas and swamps in particular would leave only red and blue pikmin alive (respectively). not to mention the lava would probably kill the protagonist. these extreme landscapes would be an interesting change to the eye, but seriously. how much life can you add to a pool of lava or some murky swamp water. not much. and the damper it would put on your pikmin types is a damper on strategy.

The second issue i have with this is that pikmin has always tried to be realistic. a volcano area just doesnt seem to fit with pikmins theme. pikmin is about life. theyve crashed on earth. its the beauty of these little plant creature that olimar befriends and the monsters he fights off in the dark forest. its quite peaceful. a volcano area doesnt fit that bill. I will say, a desert area could work well, imo. and even another snow area if done right this time.

also, as a note to the OP, im assuming you dont understand the level design behind the pikmin 2 levels. the symbolized the 4 seasons starting you in winter, then spring, then summer, then fall. and what you may not have picked up on either is that the majority of the levels were "aged" versions of the pikmin one levels. awakening wood is clearly an aged forest of hope, perplexing pool is the distant spring, and the wistful wild is very cleverly the final trial as well as the landing site (the area you land in is where you fought emperor bulblax, and the entrance to dream den is where you found the engine in the begining of the original. that is the reason for the extrmely similar design for the two games. because they were the SAME places. afterall, the whole point of the game was to return to the places to find treasure :D
#6sreamer14ydrPosted 1/6/2013 5:57:01 AM
andis1992 posted...
also, as a note to the OP, im assuming you dont understand the level design behind the pikmin 2 levels. the symbolized the 4 seasons starting you in winter, then spring, then summer, then fall. and what you may not have picked up on either is that the majority of the levels were "aged" versions of the pikmin one levels. awakening wood is clearly an aged forest of hope, perplexing pool is the distant spring, and the wistful wild is very cleverly the final trial as well as the landing site (the area you land in is where you fought emperor bulblax, and the entrance to dream den is where you found the engine in the begining of the original. that is the reason for the extrmely similar design for the two games. because they were the SAME places. afterall, the whole point of the game was to return to the places to find treasure :D

That is true, all the Pikmin 1 levels are rumored to be the same ones in Pikmin 2, which you can see the comparison. In Pikmin 1, The impact site and final trial make up parts of the fall themed level, Awakening wood, and the forest of hope are the same areas it seem, the pools etc. The only level from Pikmin 1 that doesn't have a Pikmin 2 comparisson level is The Forest Navel, as that level doesn't seem to match any Pikmin 2 level. The valley of Repose is not it, nor is the pool level or the forest level, nor the fall level. So I think the Forest Navel was the only level in which it didn't get a Pikmin 2 level.

I like the seasons idea, Just would like MORE levels, like more ice levels, and whatnot. They can reuse Pikmin 1 and 2 ideas just add more than 4 levels, so maybe 2 Snow levels, 2 forest levels, one could be like forest of hope, and another can more dense like a "jungle" with darker and taller trees etc. The underground caves are fun, hope they return too.
#7shadowreaper7Posted 1/6/2013 10:09:22 AM
Oh by no means do i want to see an entire magma/lava or swamp themed level. I'd just like to see a bit more variety in the floor tiles.

Think of it like caves, there was:
rusted pipe work
Cavern
Snow Cavern
Aquatic Fauna cavern
Tile
Sand

and that was basically it.
I don't want an entire Swamp zone, or a massive volcano zone, but they could perhaps have small sections within a larger level which has this flooring type.

Such as a fiery cavern in a Forest Navel area.
Or a Swamp bit in Perplexing pool with the lily pads.

I doubt it'd hinder pikmin all that much, after all, Perplexing pool is 60% Water if you think about it, but it doesn't stop the initial venture there with only red pikmin.
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#8AdmiralQballPosted 1/6/2013 8:34:14 PM
I like the life and natural flow of the areas in the first two games. The problem with going to a bunch of traditional level themes like lava, desert, ice, etc would be the idea of them being so closely located. The areas in the first 2 games were all around each other so it made sense for them to be similar.

I do agree there should be more than 4 areas though. And if caves return, hopefully more physical variety in there as well.

I would like to see a forest level (covered in leaves, lots of trees), a grass/dirt traditional level, a light snow/mountain area, a beach area with sand, a rocky/concrete area, a lake/river area, and a dark, mushroom covered forest area.
---
Pearl FC 3909 4588 9972
White FC 0905 6248 6243
#9andis1992Posted 1/6/2013 11:27:27 PM
sreamer14ydr posted...

That is true, all the Pikmin 1 levels are rumored to be the same ones in Pikmin 2, which you can see the comparison. In Pikmin 1, The impact site and final trial make up parts of the fall themed level, Awakening wood, and the forest of hope are the same areas it seem, the pools etc. The only level from Pikmin 1 that doesn't have a Pikmin 2 comparisson level is The Forest Navel, as that level doesn't seem to match any Pikmin 2 level. The valley of Repose is not it, nor is the pool level or the forest level, nor the fall level. So I think the Forest Navel was the only level in which it didn't get a Pikmin 2 level.

the speculated reasoning behind why forest navel was not revisted is because people speculate it to be underground. additionally, the reason for the visit to the valley of repose is the fact that it was entirely unintended. remember, olimar crashed there in the beginning of pikmin 2. he likely wasnt intending to go there in the first place. perhaps he was intending to start at forest navel and never got there... ;)