Limiting the types of pikmin you can use in certain areas.

#1andis1992Posted 1/5/2013 11:05:24 PM
I like the idea of discovering many new types of pikmin. maybe 10 or 15 types. but i feel like allowing the player to always be able to control this many different types would become chaotic. so how about pikmin ditches the entire "taking pikmin with you" concept in reguards to special types of pikmin.

I like the idea of always having the basic red/blue/yellows available, but having other types not be. like for example

in area 1 you get the basic pikmin, and you get the rock pikmin and the flying pikmin

in area 2 you get the basic pikmin, but instead you find white and purple pikmin

in area 3 youd get the basic and two more new types.

so on and so fourth. the pikmin dont have to be area exclusive, obviously. you could find flying pikmin agian in another level. but this helps challenge the player by limiting their resources, while preserving the element of strategy by disallowing the player to just take a little bit of everything. i mean really. if you had control of then kinds of pikmin and you took 10 of each with you, what are 10 blue pikmin really going to be able to lift? nothing. having that few of one type is useless anyways. the new special types could also work as the purples and whites did, and could only be obtainable via flowers, making them much more valuable.
#2Capace23Posted 1/6/2013 2:44:39 AM
Ten to Fifteen different types would be to many for Nintendo to incorporate into Pikmin 3 imo. May'be in Pikmin 5 or 6 if the franchise ever goes that far.
#3ArtOWarfarePosted 1/6/2013 10:06:43 AM
I don't think limiting the types of pikmin that can be used in certain areas would be much fun, but I think it would be quite cool if they had ~7 types of Pikmin and they limited you to picking three types at the start of each day.

So on any given day, depending on which combination of Pikmin you bring, the traversable terrain becomes quite different. You'd have to decide before starting a day whether you wanted to explore the watery portion of a level that day or not, and based on that, whether you should bring blues or not.
#4andis1992(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 2:57:13 PM
ArtOWarfare posted...
I don't think limiting the types of pikmin that can be used in certain areas would be much fun, but I think it would be quite cool if they had ~7 types of Pikmin and they limited you to picking three types at the start of each day.

So on any given day, depending on which combination of Pikmin you bring, the traversable terrain becomes quite different. You'd have to decide before starting a day whether you wanted to explore the watery portion of a level that day or not, and based on that, whether you should bring blues or not.

You.... I like you....
#5ArtOWarfarePosted 1/7/2013 5:55:23 PM
My idea would allow a lot more replay-ability to each area, I think.

7 choose 3 yields 35 unique sets of Pikmin you could bring down to each area on each day. Of course, I wouldn't expect it to be necessary to actually try all 35 combinations in a single area to do everything, but I think you get an idea of how many possibilities there are.
#6zeppelincheetahPosted 1/9/2013 12:41:27 AM
andis1992 posted...
ArtOWarfare posted...

You.... I like you....

me too. excellent idea! I really hated in Pikimin 2 having white and purple pikmin in only certain areas.
---
if you wouldn't mind i would like to lose
~ c h e e t a h ~