Who else doesn't like Rock Pikmin?

#1zeppelincheetahPosted 1/9/2013 12:53:38 AM
Rather than coming up with new Pikmin with new abilities they make Rock Pikmin which is a hybrid of Purple and Yellow. What good are Purple and Yellow Pikmin if you have Rock Pikmin?

ideas for different types:

Orange Pikmin - shoot out a gooey substance to distract enemies (which love the taste and smell) but also can be used to bridge over toxic obstacles

Green Pikmin - chamelon-like in their camouflage, they also can sprint for short distances

Silver Pikmin - highly sensitive, can sense enemies before anyone else and are good at protecting the rest from danger. Can also use stingers to severely injure enemies though each sting is fatal to the pikmin.
---
if you wouldn't mind i would like to lose
~ c h e e t a h ~
#2_Sanaki_Posted 1/9/2013 1:53:51 AM
I'm not a fan of them. Not for their mechanics (which I wasn't aware of), but because they don't feel organic like the other Pikmin, nor do they do the whole color thing which I rather liked. Just feels... weird, and not like the usual Pikmin.
---
Official Barthandelus and Cosmos of the Dissidia 012 Board.
http://www.olimarsboard.com/index.php A Pikmin message board which needs more members
#3SVGKPosted 1/9/2013 2:03:47 AM
how on earth are they like yellows?, they have the same throwing ark as reds and blues, they don't cling on to enemies, they can only carry one unit of weight, they don't weigh 10 pikmin, they are faster than purples, and purples have a different role in this game, they have a lower throwing ark now and probably don't stun or do as much impact damage, but they probably do the same attack damage and can cling on and rockmin don't dive bomb or home in on anything, so how are they a mix exactly?.
#4-Jester-Masque-Posted 1/9/2013 2:10:10 AM
My initial reaction was a bit uneasy. They are definitely different, and so they don't feel like pikmin as we once defined them. However, I vaguely remember a similar feeling when I saw a screenshot of Pikmin 2's purple pikmin.

That uneasy feeling disappeared pretty quickly for me though. Strangely, what has made me really like them is how they move. In the E3 demo, I like how one (or more?) of them roll around a bit when you first encounter them. Also, I like how when you throw them at an enemy, they kind of bounce and tumble instead of sticking like normal pikmin. In all the years that we brainstormed ideas for new pikmin, most of us were sticking to the formula of naming a pikmin by its colour. I always wanted Pikmin 3 to do things that I wouldn't have come up with, even in eight years, and the rock pikmin are one such example.

Don't forget, there are also pink pikmin that can fly. ;)

I'm not sure I understand your comment about rock pikmin being a hybrid of the yellow and purple types. The purple comparison is obvious since they are bulky, but why yellow? Also, remember that the purple pikmin were used for their lifting strength, and their weight (in combat and solving environmental puzzles). Rock pikmin are used for smashing things: crystals and hard shells. I'm also guessing that the rock pikmin will die instantly in water. What do you think?
#5ArtOWarfarePosted 1/9/2013 4:08:31 AM
zeppelincheetah posted...
Rather than coming up with new Pikmin with new abilities they make Rock Pikmin which is a hybrid of Purple and Yellow.

As others have said, no they aren't.

Orange Pikmin - shoot out a gooey substance to distract enemies (which love the taste and smell) but also can be used to bridge over toxic obstacles

Green Pikmin - chamelon-like in their camouflage, they also can sprint for short distances

How would the player control any of these abilities?

Silver Pikmin - highly sensitive, can sense enemies before anyone else and are good at protecting the rest from danger. Can also use stingers to severely injure enemies though each sting is fatal to the pikmin.

What on earth does "highly sensitive" mean? How does it protect the others from danger? And how is the stinger functionality any different from the Whites? Or are you suggesting that the stinger is their only means of attack? Does that mean if you throw a silver at an enemy, you've decided your Pikmin will die?
#6RetroYoshi4191Posted 1/9/2013 9:59:32 AM
I didn't like it at first, and I'm still not sure I like it now, but...

I think something that doesn't work out for Pikmin in general is having the ability to create something. I think it would be best for the main concepts and ideas of Pikmin to stick to resistance against hazards or abilities based off of physical characteristics or attributes.

There seems to be a lot of popularity in camouflage, but it's really only good for battle tactics. If we're only going to have six or seven types of Pikmin in entirety, then each and every ability should deliver to each and every gameplay aspect the game can offer.

"Highly sensitive" as in fragile? Or just in the sense of smell, hearing, etc? Either way, a Pikmin whose secondary defining quality is protecting other Pikmin is redundant, especially when another of their features is a self-destruct-esque battle tactic.

...it's a lot better than these.
---
"Invincible. I can't be vinced."
#7andis1992Posted 1/9/2013 5:54:53 PM
They are not a hybrid of purple and yellow, and even if they were, I would be completely ok with that. The idea of later on in the game gaining pikmin that have multiple abilities could be very intersting for strategy. if the rock pikmin were actually a purple-yellow hybrid, assuming i normally take 20 yellows and 20 purples, i could instead take 20 rocks, maybe some extra for utility, and then be able to take more pikmin of other colors. hybrid pikmin can be a good thing if implemented correctly.

Also, if i could throw out my Idea for a new pikmin type, i would like to see a pollinator pikmin, that would either slowly cause your pikmin to turn from leaves to buds to flowers, OR, have them seldomly produce nectar/potions for the player to utilize. of course these effects would obviously have to be balanced, and having more of them would speed up the process. I think it would be an excellent idea for a green pikmin. think of it more as a "utility" pikmin, rather than a battle one.
#8Ghost-inZeShellPosted 1/10/2013 1:39:43 AM
I like the Rock Pikmin!
#9pygmiegoatPosted 1/10/2013 5:54:11 AM
I think the idea of Pikmin that can break through crystal and glass and whatnot is a good idea, but they really don't seem all that ....organic as someone pointed out. Perhaps they should have just made the purple Pikmin able to break stuff since they are a lot heavier and stronger than the rest.

As for a Pikmin I'd like to see, maybe brown ones that can act like moles and dig tunnels and such under enemies and just let the enemies walk over the pits and fall down to trap them. Tunneling would work like ......I don't know, only special areas can be tunneled into and then once they are tunneled into, maybe they follow your character from underground, by listening to the whistle. Or perhaps they just follow a path from said special area and dig the pit trap and it'll be up to the player to lure the enemies into the trap. Kind of like how Olimar could wake up enemies and drive them away. It'd also be the captain's job not to fall into his own pit. XD Like Team Rocket.
#10PokeclipsePosted 1/12/2013 2:35:59 AM
pygmiegoat posted...
Perhaps they should have just made the purple Pikmin able to break stuff since they are a lot heavier and stronger than the rest.

This. I like the rock Pikmin for what they are, but honestly, they should have just given its abilities to the purples.
---
MK7 name: Shane
http://i.imgur.com/ayJYA.jpg