Should this game have...

#1RoccoRedPosted 1/16/2013 9:13:01 AM
The predators attacking and/or eating other predators?

Since Pikmin is all about nature and survival I always wondered what the other predators would eat besides Pikmin. Sure Pikmin are an easy prey (when alone) but Pikmin aren't exactly a great source of food, especially when they aren't in an area for days. So would you guys think it be a good idea if some of the predators would fight each other or eat each other? There has always been rivalry disputes in the wild (Lions and Cheetahs for example) and larger predators eating the smaller predators, so I thought this idea would make Pikmin feel even more real. :P
---
Xbox Live: KeroTenu
PKMN FC: 5415-5334-2248
#2ArtOWarfarePosted 1/16/2013 10:09:09 AM
No. This would be complicated and add little to the game, I think.
#3shadowreaper7Posted 1/16/2013 10:18:15 AM
It would be interesting to see, but i agree with ArtofWarfare, it doesn't actually add anything to the gameplay value. And that is more important over the realism aspects of sheargrubs would probably be predated on by snagrets.

I wouldn't mind sort of being able to use enemies, such as the boulders of cannon beetles to kill things.

Hence i wouldn't mind baiting a snagret into eating a smaller creature, like a skitter leaf or the like.

But as i said before, it doesn't really add anything to the gameplay value.
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#4SVGKPosted 1/16/2013 1:13:19 PM
Jiggle physics don't add to gameplay (talking about xenoblade and luigis mansion specificialy) i think it would be great along with a monster you never see, but it devours pikmin left on a set of "hotspots" while you are looking away and all you hear is an unatural slobbering sound and a scare chord that is louder the more pikmin lost, and you will see nothing but a few puddles of saliva on the ground leading into the distance...... and louie must be the final boss with THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppPHtB948_0 as the final battle theme (some would probably have to be converted into rockish music like the rest though).
#5LilraptorPosted 1/16/2013 3:24:39 PM
Yes. While some things (like the Smokey Progg/Waterwraith) don't fit into the food chain, it'd be nice to see some monster-monster interaction. Snagrets would probably be at the top of the food chain, since they can mortally wound just about everything in the game.

And as for the "doesn't add gameplay" bit, imagine using monsters like as traps: Is your army being assaulted by a Jellyfloat? Lure a Dirigibug over to it and watch the fireworks. Having issues with Bulborbs early in the game? Lure it over a Snagret and snatch away the pellets that fall out/nearby treasure while the snake-bird is busy with its new meal. Left a corpse out for too long? Too bad; it's been eaten by something else already. Now you'll have to track its predator down and kill that to get the first monster's equivalent in pellets.
---
Waiting for Tang to come back since '03.
#6_Sanaki_Posted 1/16/2013 7:43:15 PM
I'd really like to see this myself. I think it'd make a lot of sense, and be a good mechanic. Monsters only attacking Pikmin feels kind of odd as it is. Plus it helps give you an option to weaken a bigger enemy with a smaller one before you finish it off. I really, really like the idea actually. I doubt it'll happen though.
---
Official Barthandelus and Cosmos of the Dissidia 012 Board.
http://www.olimarsboard.com/index.php A Pikmin message board which needs more members
#7-Jester-Masque-Posted 1/16/2013 8:15:30 PM
Yeah, I've felt like this was a missing element that could be added to future games. I think that it could add a tremendous amount of new gameplay possibilities. Maybe agitated enemies will attack other enemies that are nearby, which you could use to your advantage. Enemies could behave differently depending on what type of enemy is attacking them (fight or flight). If enemies had an aggressive state (I imagine them turning reddish with steam coming off of their backs in the classic cartoon kind of way), maybe there's a spray that makes them aggressive.

I'm just spit-balling, but I know that if I put some time into it, I could come up with cool stuff centered around this idea. And, if I can, there's absolutely no doubt that a team of Nintendo's developers could.
#8RetroYoshi4191Posted 1/16/2013 9:07:04 PM
Don't see the point. There wouldn't be enough delivery to the atmosphere of the game for how much it would take away from the gameplay. To actually show off what it gives you'd have to let this happen to several enemies, doing the job for you, making some obstacles pointless and in general making the game easier.
---
"Invincible. I can't be vinced."
#9RoccoRed(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 10:55:26 AM
RetroYoshi4191 posted...
Don't see the point. There wouldn't be enough delivery to the atmosphere of the game for how much it would take away from the gameplay. To actually show off what it gives you'd have to let this happen to several enemies, doing the job for you, making some obstacles pointless and in general making the game easier.

They can always add obstacles and monsters that can only be taken down by other monsters. :P
---
Xbox: KeroTenu
PSN: Omagiri_Dragon
#10RetroYoshi4191Posted 1/18/2013 12:04:23 PM
Then you'd have to wait until one comes around, and as a result, you could waste any amount of time without any of it actually being your fault.
---
"Invincible. I can't be vinced."