Pikmin 3: Perfect Example for DLC

#1timehacker11Posted 6/18/2013 8:11:41 PM
I can see Nintendo creating new Missions for Mission mode and new stages for battle mode and releasing them as DLC either individually or as level packs or both. I hope Nintendo takes this opportunity to extend the life of this wonderful game.
#2NamohysipPosted 6/18/2013 9:42:44 PM
The moment I saw the way Mission Mode was structured, I knew it had DLC potential. I usually have personal qualms about DLC, at least if it's for the story, but for extra content like the Mission Mode, I don't see too much of an issue with it. Though I hope the DLC isn't just stuff they intentionally cut out of the final product just to tack on for more money...
#3ArtOWarfarePosted 6/19/2013 10:26:00 AM
I like DLCs that are more expansion-y. Give me enough content to double the play time (so its like I have an entire sequel, it's just running on the same exact engine.) but charge only half what the full game cost.

IE, if they offered an entire new story + doubled how many missions there were for a $30 DLC, I'd be good with that. If they want to charge $1 per mission, I'm not okay with that. I don't like being frequently asked for more money.
#4PinxedPosted 6/19/2013 5:18:48 PM
ArtOWarfare posted...
I like DLCs that are more expansion-y. Give me enough content to double the play time (so its like I have an entire sequel, it's just running on the same exact engine.) but charge only half what the full game cost.

IE, if they offered an entire new story + doubled how many missions there were for a $30 DLC, I'd be good with that. If they want to charge $1 per mission, I'm not okay with that. I don't like being frequently asked for more money.

Like New Super Luigi U?
---
Amazing Pikmin 3 CYOA
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633263-pikmin-3/65324351
#5LordBowserPosted 6/23/2013 3:42:36 AM
Namohysip posted...
The moment I saw the way Mission Mode was structured, I knew it had DLC potential. I usually have personal qualms about DLC, at least if it's for the story, but for extra content like the Mission Mode, I don't see too much of an issue with it. Though I hope the DLC isn't just stuff they intentionally cut out of the final product just to tack on for more money...

As of yet, Nintendo has never practiced 'day one DLC', they make quality DLC over time, usually long after the game released only.

So far, I've been impressed by Nintendo's DLC, especially their latest DLC, New Super Luigi U.

That said, I've never been big on Mission mode, I never got into it. If that changes and they made DLC, I'd buy it, otherwise, probably not.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#6ArtOWarfarePosted 6/23/2013 5:52:53 AM
Pinxed posted...
ArtOWarfare posted...

Like New Super Luigi U?

That doubles the play time? I thought they only added a few more levels. IDK, I tried one of the new Mario bros games and I didn't like it. I vastly preferred Rayman Origins and am planning on having the sequel be the second game I get for the Wii U (after Pikmin 3, of course.)
#7-Jester-Masque-Posted 6/23/2013 10:39:51 AM
ArtOWarfare posted...
Pinxed posted...
ArtOWarfare posted...

Like New Super Luigi U?

That doubles the play time? I thought they only added a few more levels. IDK, I tried one of the new Mario bros games and I didn't like it. I vastly preferred Rayman Origins and am planning on having the sequel be the second game I get for the Wii U (after Pikmin 3, of course.)

I'm not a big fan of DLC. I guess I'd prefer it for developers to save their new ideas/additions until there's enough for a full new game. New Super Luigi U is practically a new game. It's not just "a few new levels". It's the same number of levels that New Super Mario Bros. U had. The only thing that keeps it from truly feeling like a new game is that it uses the same world map, has the same power-ups, enemies, and bosses.

So I would have preferred to see NSLU release as its own game, but doing it as DLC with so many re-used game assets has allowed them to justify a cheaper price tag.

But as for Pikmin 3... I don't know. If they provided new Mission Mode or Bingo-Battle packs, I'd probably be happy with that. The reason is a bit sad though. I'm not so confident that we will get another Pikmin game, at least not for a long time. If Nintendo would rather add onto Pikmin 3 for a while, that would be O.K. with me. I just don't want story DLC.