Poll: Should we be able to explore at night?

#1Enigma149Posted 5/26/2012 7:24:51 PM
Yes: 1
No: 0

Personally, I think its the only thing left they can reasonably do. I mean, we already have day and underground exploration, and underwater exploration doesn't seem feasible.
#2CypherSkillsPosted 5/26/2012 8:50:34 PM
some sort of light pikmin would be pretty cool. You could use them to set up a boundary so enemies of some sort cant get close to you.
---
Heart Gold : 2065 2098 4510
#3Legeon86Posted 5/27/2012 12:43:39 AM
One of the pikmin's ships malfunctions and crashes during the night, or a new enemy shoots it out of the sky. Olimar is heroic so of course he'd have to save them.

Epic potential.
#4-Jester-Masque-Posted 5/27/2012 2:41:10 AM
Well, I completely disagree that it's the only thing left. I'm sure that was an exaggeration, but I've actually thought of a few ways that under-water areas could work.

I'd love it if we could explore at night. I feel like there's a really good chance of this happening, too. Just imagine the crazy nocturnal creatures that there could be, and all of the bulborbs would be awake and doing... whatever it is that bulborbs do.
#5genius14Posted 5/27/2012 6:45:48 AM
I like that idea. Different creatures should arise at night, such a lightbugs or something like that.
---
SSBB-0603-5794-4363 GT: Ace Of Blew
http://i.minus.com/iMimjTXRoOuTF.gif
#6LaMafiacciPosted 5/27/2012 9:33:54 AM
I think this would be good, but only if the nighttime played rather differently than the daytime. Perhaps make a boundary around Olimar that Pikmin must be within, else they would be insta-eaten. (Could even be small at the beginning, which would prevent Olimar from taking too many Pikmin early on, until he finds some way to upgrade it).That, coupled with more powerful/aggressive enemies would make the nighttime viable, but very dangerous. Sort of like a last resort.

As for the light pikmin idea above, sounds good as well.

Ultimately, if there is a night/day system, it should include some risk/reward. Obviously, speedrunners, in order to get the best time, would need to work through the dangerous night. But I wouldn't mind seeing something else, perhaps a reason Olimar would need to go back to his ship.
---
Without a sig, I'm nothing but a generic user.
Here's to conformity! Man, I feel so... complete now...
#7CypherSkillsPosted 5/27/2012 10:10:08 AM
I honestly expect some sort of mode or maybe just night time parts that feature some sort of base building mechanic. You use pikmin to build up walls and attacking structures. Maybe a kind of catapult that automatically shoots pikmin at the enemies storming towards your base. I know it doesnt sound much like pikmin, but I think either a separate mode that features defense is a possibility.
---
Heart Gold : 2065 2098 4510
#8ChinomanilaPosted 5/27/2012 12:06:24 PM
Maybe, but in only some areas.
#9-Jester-Masque-Posted 5/27/2012 7:02:02 PM
Of my own Pikmin 3 ideas, my own favorite involved night-play. I posted the details on one of these Pikmin boards several years ago. I'll try to give you the nut-shell version.

- Night-play is done with a pilot other than Olimar. He/she does not have a partner.

- (Based on the original idea) only one pikmin type is available at night; black pikmin. I'd probably adjust this if I were to develop the idea more.

- Plenty of new enemies roam around at night. They are more dangerous than day-time enemies. Because of this, a new strategy is needed to take them out.

- Dead enemies are interacted with differently.

- Swarming them will make your black pikmin carry them, like normal.

- Black pikmin that are thrown at the deceased enemy will burrow inside of it. A fraction, similar to, but not necessarily equivalent to the weight-to-pikmin-carrying fraction would appear. Once enough black pikmin are thrown into the deceased enemy, it comes back to life, somehwat zombie-fied. The black pikmin are the parasitic pikmin (not actually seen) in Pikmin 2.

- The different night-time enemies would have different abilities. It would have to be very simple though: They do one action when the A-button is pressed and other action when the C-stick is used. I guess the C-stick would just make them attack.

- If they take on a stronger enemy or the wrong type of enemy, their health will start to drop. Each fraction of the circle-meter that decreases is equal to one black pikmin dying. When all of them die, the possessed enemy falls and shrivels (or something less graphic than rotting), so it cannot be possessed again. There would also be a way to eject the pikmin out of a possessed creature, however it's maximum health would remain at whatever it's health was at the time of ejection.

- Tasks done during the night would open up new areas for Olimar and Louie during the day, and vice-versa.

- Another element is carrion insects. This is to encourage players to use what they kill, both during the day and the night.

- Enemies killed during the day that are not carried to an onion will be possessed by an insect that behaves similar to the black pikmin. These deceased enemies will come back alive with a fraction of their original health. The important difference is that bulborbs will be awake and patrolling instead of sleeping.

- Enemies killed during the night work almost exactly the same way. If they aren't carried to an onion or left rotten (from being possessed by blacks and killed by something), they will be back alive during the day for Olimar to deal with.

... In a nut-shell... a really, really big nut-shell. I hope you guys like the idea.
#10AvatarOfBaganPosted 5/28/2012 1:55:16 AM
-Jester-Masque- posted...
Of my own Pikmin 3 ideas, my own favorite involved night-play. I posted the details on one of these Pikmin boards several years ago. I'll try to give you the nut-shell version.

- Night-play is done with a pilot other than Olimar. He/she does not have a partner.

- (Based on the original idea) only one pikmin type is available at night; black pikmin. I'd probably adjust this if I were to develop the idea more.

- Plenty of new enemies roam around at night. They are more dangerous than day-time enemies. Because of this, a new strategy is needed to take them out.

- Dead enemies are interacted with differently.

- Swarming them will make your black pikmin carry them, like normal.

- Black pikmin that are thrown at the deceased enemy will burrow inside of it. A fraction, similar to, but not necessarily equivalent to the weight-to-pikmin-carrying fraction would appear. Once enough black pikmin are thrown into the deceased enemy, it comes back to life, somehwat zombie-fied. The black pikmin are the parasitic pikmin (not actually seen) in Pikmin 2.

- The different night-time enemies would have different abilities. It would have to be very simple though: They do one action when the A-button is pressed and other action when the C-stick is used. I guess the C-stick would just make them attack.

- If they take on a stronger enemy or the wrong type of enemy, their health will start to drop. Each fraction of the circle-meter that decreases is equal to one black pikmin dying. When all of them die, the possessed enemy falls and shrivels (or something less graphic than rotting), so it cannot be possessed again. There would also be a way to eject the pikmin out of a possessed creature, however it's maximum health would remain at whatever it's health was at the time of ejection.

- Tasks done during the night would open up new areas for Olimar and Louie during the day, and vice-versa.

- Another element is carrion insects. This is to encourage players to use what they kill, both during the day and the night.

- Enemies killed during the day that are not carried to an onion will be possessed by an insect that behaves similar to the black pikmin. These deceased enemies will come back alive with a fraction of their original health. The important difference is that bulborbs will be awake and patrolling instead of sleeping.

- Enemies killed during the night work almost exactly the same way. If they aren't carried to an onion or left rotten (from being possessed by blacks and killed by something), they will be back alive during the day for Olimar to deal with.

... In a nut-shell... a really, really big nut-shell. I hope you guys like the idea.

This is very good and is a nice expansion on the concept of the Bulbmin that we don't get to outright use in Pikmin 2.

I REALLY want to use parasitic pikmin in 3...
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.