No coal or charcoal

#1ianpwilliamsPosted 5/23/2012 3:12:40 AM
I can never find any coal or charcoal in this version, and because there is no furnace, at the moment I can't create any torches. I hope a furnace update comes soon
#2WritersAreLiarsPosted 5/23/2012 12:09:48 PM
Coal is very rare. Look for grey stone with black spots. You can find coal in those blocks.
---
Verzeihung, aber Sie haben Ihre Granate vergessen
#3ianpwilliams(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 2:17:46 AM
I haven't found any at all so far, in two different worlds. I've found different kinds of stone, sand etc, I've dug underground, I've dug into the sides of cliffs, but not one piece of coal or charcoal. Which means no torches. So I end up standing in my house at night. Or just going out killing monsters with a sword. I hope an update comes soon.
#4BustaClownShoesPosted 5/24/2012 7:19:47 AM
I was just about to post on this same topic. How in the hell are we supposed to craft Torches?

We can mine for coal, and I guarantee we'd find quite a bit IF WE COULD SEE to keep mining down there. Relying on surface coal blocks or ones which are not far down is very spotty. Not cool.
#5ianpwilliams(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 10:32:11 AM
Yes it does seem like quite a shame, and also a shame that there are no furnaces. Or more crafting options. I'm still happy I bought it though. I don't mind just messing around creating things for now, and I'm hopeful that the pocket edition will eventually end up being something like the Xbox 360 edition.
#6BustaClownShoesPosted 5/24/2012 2:03:34 PM
Agreed. For a pocket mobile edition I don't even mind not having the furnace, but c'mon one of the basic premises of the game is to LIGHT your areas up at night to keep monsters away.

They give us infinite brick and glass blocks in survival anyway, they should just update it so you have infinite torches too. Or at least start you with 10 or something, so you can start your way to mining some coal.

Still, having Minecraft in your pocket is pretty cool. Limited or no.
#7ianpwilliams(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2012 1:05:47 AM
Definitely. I don't play in creative mode, but sometimes I like to start a new random world and fly around the island up in the air just to see what it created, it's pretty impressive what the game creates.

Just hoping for coal/charcoal/furnace/more crafting/natural underground caves now.
#8BustaClownShoesPosted 5/25/2012 6:39:00 AM
I'm going to try a really wide, broad mining process, versus the normal way I do it, until I can stockpile some coal.

Instead of a tunnel, I'm thinking very wide like a swimming pool, going almost straight down. So natural light can hit most of the areas you're digging around in. When I need to broaden out to the sides, I'll just have to painstakingly broaden the top out so more light can get in.
#9ianpwilliams(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2012 12:27:27 PM
Good idea, think I'll try that myself. I'd give anything for just one torch!
#10BustaClownShoesPosted 5/25/2012 1:05:59 PM
Yea, only downside is you'll either really have to luck out that your site is on top of some veins, have multiple sites (likely for me), or end up having your first site get HUGE like the size of a football field over time.

Let me know how it works for you, seeing as we're like the only two people playing this right now lol.