Which GTA IV ending do you think should be canon? MAJOR GTA IV SPOILERS

#1c_yoderPosted 11/13/2012 12:39:28 PM
Just to warn y'all again,
THERE WILL BE MAJOR GTA IV SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT
---
Now playing: LittleBigPlanet, MK: Komplete Edition, Portal 2, MGS: Peace Walker HD
Now anticipating: GTA V, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
#2c_yoder(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 12:58:11 PM(edited)
Alright, now that that's out of the way, which ending do you feel would be better canon for the GTA IV story: Deal or Revenge?

I was saying in another topic that I felt Revenge (and its ensuing consequences) seemed more in line with Niko's character arc. He was a (more or less) honest criminal, and seemed intent on adhering to his principles while trying to make a better life for himself. I didn't feel like he would have taken the deal when he clearly despised Dimitri by that point.

(also, the reason I bothered with this topic is that the casual musing came up as to whether or not Roman could possibly have a cameo in GTA V; not that anyone was demanding that he do, but the suggestion came up, regardless)
---
Now playing: LittleBigPlanet, MK: Komplete Edition, Portal 2, MGS: Peace Walker HD
Now anticipating: GTA V, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
#3jazztronautPosted 11/13/2012 1:43:00 PM
Its been years since I've played that far into the game so whichever ending that involves romans death seems best fitting to the story.

But, honestly, I don't see roman making an appearance in V
---
If you love your job, you'll never have to work a day in your life.
psn: jazztronaut
#4deltamustang_65Posted 11/13/2012 1:46:02 PM
"Hey, Packie! It's your friend, Roman! Want to go surfing?
---
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
PSN: DeltaMustang65 GT5 Garage:http://www.mygranturismo.net/25743
#5OneCoIdNightPosted 11/13/2012 4:25:06 PM
I agree with revenge, Niko had such an intense hatred with Dimitri at the end that I find it hard to believe Niko would even consider the deal once he found out Dimitri was the one behind it.

Those heated phone calls between Niko and Dimitri were epic.
#6spaz12Posted 11/13/2012 5:57:00 PM
i think revenge should be canon, but deal had much more of an emotional impact since niko was so much closer to roman.
---
MuFF haT Inc.
#7JackTilsenPosted 11/13/2012 8:32:12 PM
spaz12 posted...
i think revenge should be canon, but deal had much more of an emotional impact since niko was so much closer to roman.

That's right, and like c_yoder said, the Revenge ending is more consistent with Niko's principles... But revenge itself as a principle is arguable, and the Deal one just seems LESS likely for Niko himself to pick. I prefer the Revenge ending myself for this reason...but BOTH of the endings have their own lessons in a way.

..so which Canon should lead into GTA 5? I think neither, because if someone is playing GTA5, and the GTA4 ending is detailed, then you risk giving it away. But let's say we run into Packie and try to get to know him or he tries to explain his past, then he'll just sorta be vague and shake it off, citing a rough upbringing, dysfunctional family, death in the family (true either way).
---
Ignorance Does not Exist.
#8Chocobo985Posted 11/13/2012 11:16:54 PM(edited)
The best course when you have multiple endings is too leave it vague in the sequel. Don't tell me which choice I made was the right one, if you give the player a choice have it matter or don't give him one at all.

The exception is if there is a joke ending (ie Silent Hill UFO)
---
There's room for only one Snake, and one Big Boss!- Liquid