Still No Female Protagonists?

#161Bass_X0Posted 12/7/2012 3:11:54 AM
http://www.fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=91153
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#162ChamillionLivePosted 12/7/2012 5:52:11 AM(edited)
DanseMacabreOG posted...
As such, they are perfectly able to function as a playable main character in a GTA game.

Even though this is a crime game... and all the best criminals have been men. Unless we're running around as Uma Thurman in some Saints Row cliche s***fest. You know why Quentin Tarantino didn't have a "Mrs. Pink" or "Mrs. White" in Reservoir Dogs? It would have been f***ing stupid. It's Tony Montana everyone wants to play as, not Tania Montana.

I take it you've never seen Cocaine Cowboys. The most powerful drug lord in Miami during the 70's and 80's was this lady:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griselda_Blanco

So yeah, if Scarface was based on real life, "Tony" Montana would have been "Tania" Montana.
---
"I ain't that dude that'd be braggin about how I'm spendin bucks/
One, I ain't rich and two, most of them tend to suck" -Dee-1
#163DanseMacabreOGPosted 12/7/2012 8:42:54 PM
That's one, in the history of criminals. And she wasn't even cool, she was just a child killing coke dealer who had henchmen do her work. Wouldn't that be fun? Sitting home and making phone calls all day to hitmen while you cook enchiladas for your família.
#164DanseMacabreOGPosted 12/7/2012 8:46:37 PM
I'd also like to point out that for every Griselda

1.Christopher Coke
2.Carlos Lehder
3.Amado Carrillo Fuentes
4.Manuel Noriega
5.Joaquin Guzman Loera
6.Ismael Zambada Garcia
7.Khun Sa
8.Diego Montoya
9.Fabio Ochoa Restrepo

There's about 9 equally insane men who actually pull the trigger.
#165kanto_wandererPosted 12/8/2012 12:08:27 AM
Stick with what you know. I'm pretty sure the Houser bros. and the majority of people responsible for bringing this game to fruition are - in fact - men. I think it's easier for them to create a game driven primarily by male characters, and whether women want to argue how life isn't entirely fair and that gender isn't always split down the middle in areas that don't entirely involve videogames as well as areas that do, the fact of the matter is that there is a greater prevalence from history to today of men being more involved in organized crime and (shockingly!) gang-related violence/criminal acts. It must be a sad fact for women to deal with this often unspoken truth, but it is one that they will have to come to terms with.
#166_white_rabbitPosted 12/8/2012 2:25:39 AM
DanseMacabreOG posted...
I'm so sorry that the Saint's Row kiddies get their jollies like that

Everyone tries to make their female protagonists naked. Fact.

Not fact. My female protag is well clothed... well, she's clothed; "well clothed" doesn't exist in SR3 because for the most part, the clothes suck.
---
"You wouldn't know the truth if you found it banging your wife; now shut up and release my client. And your wife's not that great." K Rosenburg
#167ShiangPosted 12/8/2012 5:39:58 AM
kanto_wanderer posted...
Stick with what you know. I'm pretty sure the Houser bros. and the majority of people responsible for bringing this game to fruition are - in fact - men. I think it's easier for them to create a game driven primarily by male characters, and whether women want to argue how life isn't entirely fair and that gender isn't always split down the middle in areas that don't entirely involve videogames as well as areas that do, the fact of the matter is that there is a greater prevalence from history to today of men being more involved in organized crime and (shockingly!) gang-related violence/criminal acts. It must be a sad fact for women to deal with this often unspoken truth, but it is one that they will have to come to terms with.

Which in turn brings up the under-representation of women in the gaming industry. *shrugs* I would argue that it isn't a stretch of the imagination for a man to write from a woman's perspective in relation to certain matters, or vice versa. Of course, statistics show that men are higher to participate in organised crime and gang-related violence, and there's a far higher amount of men than women jailed. It isn't saddening at all~

But the fact that fewer women commit crimes =/= women being unable to commit crimes.
---
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams... Yea, in spite of a dreamer who slumbers, and a singer who sings no more.
#168Sword_of_DuskPosted 12/8/2012 9:24:32 AM
I cannot believe this topic has made it this far.

Then again, maybe I can believe it. Stuff like this is powerful fuel for arguments and debates.
---
"The angels have the phone box".
#169kanto_wandererPosted 12/9/2012 2:40:16 AM
Shiang posted...
kanto_wanderer posted...

Which in turn brings up the under-representation of women in the gaming industry. *shrugs* I would argue that it isn't a stretch of the imagination for a man to write from a woman's perspective in relation to certain matters, or vice versa. Of course, statistics show that men are higher to participate in organised crime and gang-related violence, and there's a far higher amount of men than women jailed. It isn't saddening at all~

But the fact that fewer women commit crimes =/= women being unable to commit crimes.

No, but I'm only stressing that I wouldn't hold R* at fault for not centering their games around female protagonists, when in fact their female NPCs are generally stronger characters than the majority of playable female characters in other games. The reality is, the majority of female characters in games are not strong or confident female personalities that most young women could look up to. They're overly sexualized caricatures intended to appeal more to adolescent males.

As far as GTA V is concerned (and LA Noire, Red Dead, and of course, Max Payne 3), I don't think a female protagonist is appropriate for the stories they're trying to tell. That's entirely subjective of course, but like I said, I think female personalities have always been vital to their narratives and I don't think GTA V will be any different. I have no problem with R* making any game centered around a female protagonist, I just want them to choose their material wisely in deciding what type of game that should be.
#170deltamustang_65Posted 12/11/2012 6:11:04 PM
Danse, you had what...5-6 days, and that's what you come up with? So disappoint...

As for the discussion in general, it's nice to see that it has greatly improved. About the "caricature" thing, it's something I've always noticed and actually influences my enjoyment of a game.
---
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
PSN: DeltaMustang65 GT5 Garage:http://www.mygranturismo.net/25743