Still No Female Protagonists?

#171wokiboy67Posted 12/11/2012 11:03:38 PM
Shiang posted...
kanto_wanderer posted...
Stick with what you know. I'm pretty sure the Houser bros. and the majority of people responsible for bringing this game to fruition are - in fact - men. I think it's easier for them to create a game driven primarily by male characters, and whether women want to argue how life isn't entirely fair and that gender isn't always split down the middle in areas that don't entirely involve videogames as well as areas that do, the fact of the matter is that there is a greater prevalence from history to today of men being more involved in organized crime and (shockingly!) gang-related violence/criminal acts. It must be a sad fact for women to deal with this often unspoken truth, but it is one that they will have to come to terms with.

Which in turn brings up the under-representation of women in the gaming industry. *shrugs* I would argue that it isn't a stretch of the imagination for a man to write from a woman's perspective in relation to certain matters, or vice versa. Of course, statistics show that men are higher to participate in organised crime and gang-related violence, and there's a far higher amount of men than women jailed. It isn't saddening at all~

But the fact that fewer women commit crimes =/= women being unable to commit crimes.

And you wonder why there's no female protagonists? as you pointed out : men are higher to participate in organised crime and gang-related violence, and there's a far higher amount of men than women jailed. There's a fair amount of crime in GTA,yes?
---
Never forgive,never forget.
#172ill-thoughtsPosted 12/11/2012 11:10:28 PM
me personally, i LOVEDD playing as a woman in GTA4's multiplayer lol.....it kinda turned me on....

in Saints Row 3 too, i had massive wood the whole time i played...

and there is a female character named Officer Vasquez who we MIGHT get to play as.
---
mighty are they in the forbidden knowledge.
#173Phazon2000Posted 12/12/2012 12:15:51 AM
Yeah man, I'm not against a female protagonist either.

I'll start a few fist fights and then let them beat her to death... while I beat myself.
---
A man must have a code.
#174wokiboy67Posted 12/12/2012 12:37:19 AM
ill-thoughts posted...
me personally, i LOVEDD playing as a woman in GTA4's multiplayer lol.....it kinda turned me on....

in Saints Row 3 too, i had massive wood the whole time i played...

and there is a female character named Officer Vasquez who we MIGHT get to play as.

Massive wood,eh..?
---
#175ShiangPosted 12/13/2012 12:46:11 AM
The reality is, the majority of female characters in games are not strong or confident female personalities that most young women could look up to. They're overly sexualized caricatures intended to appeal more to adolescent males.

Hn. I would say that the majority of female characters throughout the media are like that: sexualised caricatures who are either the angel/demon category - and either way, are in desperate need of a man to fall in love with. It isn't just the gaming industry, though the gaming industry seems to be one of the most backwards. (Because of the focus on the visuals and the ability of the designers to create those visuals however they want, I suppose?)

And in any case, men are always the default slate for writing characters on. It's irritating.

And you wonder why there's no female protagonists? as you pointed out : men are higher to participate in organised crime and gang-related violence, and there's a far higher amount of men than women jailed. There's a fair amount of crime in GTA,yes?

Yes, of course there is. Yet the fact that men are more likely to commit a crime doesn't render a woman incapable of doing so. That's why I would be interested to see what R* could do with a female protagonist.
---
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams... Yea, in spite of a dreamer who slumbers, and a singer who sings no more.
#176wokiboy67Posted 12/13/2012 5:06:53 AM
Shiang posted...
The reality is, the majority of female characters in games are not strong or confident female personalities that most young women could look up to. They're overly sexualized caricatures intended to appeal more to adolescent males.

Hn. I would say that the majority of female characters throughout the media are like that: sexualised caricatures who are either the angel/demon category - and either way, are in desperate need of a man to fall in love with. It isn't just the gaming industry, though the gaming industry seems to be one of the most backwards. (Because of the focus on the visuals and the ability of the designers to create those visuals however they want, I suppose?)

And in any case, men are always the default slate for writing characters on. It's irritating.

Yes, of course there is. Yet the fact that men are more likely to commit a crime doesn't render a woman incapable of doing so. That's why I would be interested to see what R* could do with a female protagonist.

You're interested to see what R* can do with a female protagonist,unfortunately for you R* don't share your interest. To be honest,neither do i.
---
#177CranberryTacoPosted 12/13/2012 5:26:08 AM
I dont visit this message board much but when i do, i see many threads about female protagonists. I'll keep it brief. Saints Row is calling you. I played as a female aswell a couple of times. costumise away! All the best.
---
Slick Musician /DJ/ FF Versus Munchkin [>R&B> NU Jack Swing >House>UK Garage >UK Grime> Dubstep is where it went wrong.
#178spaz12Posted 12/13/2012 5:45:05 AM
maybe they want an actual female character as opposed to a generic protagonist?

not that the person who started this topic wanted anything other than what they got with the responses to this topic.
---
MuFF haT Inc.
#179Sword_of_DuskPosted 12/13/2012 6:51:18 AM
spaz12 posted...
maybe they want an actual female character as opposed to a generic protagonist?

not that the person who started this topic wanted anything other than what they got with the responses to this topic.

In that case, shall I see if I can kill this thing? Let's give it a try.

*casts Death on topic*
---
"The angels have the phone box".
#180deltamustang_65Posted 12/15/2012 10:29:21 AM(edited)
CranberryTaco posted...
I dont visit this message board much but when i do, i see many threads about female protagonists. I'll keep it brief. Saints Row is calling you. I played as a female aswell a couple of times. costumise away! All the best.

*category 5 whoosh*

http://funsubstance.com/fun/26281/omg-she-isnt-wearing-any-oh-wait/

Nude stretchy pants in GTA V, plz!
---
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
PSN: DeltaMustang65 GT5 Garage:http://www.mygranturismo.net/25743