Still No Female Protagonists?

#201MShogunHPosted 1/6/2013 11:43:46 AM
Personally, I dont really care if the protagonist is male or female...

If R* made a female protag, as long as she was badass, I could get over the gender difference.

Picture this: An alternate universe with Kate McReary from GTA IV but instead of being sheltered all her life, her mom died when she was a baby so she was raised by her dad/older brothers. During her teens they would use her to move drugs (because she was less likely to be stopped by police due to her being female) and they taught her a little about using guns, self defense ect so she wouldn't be COMPLETELY helpless if something happened. Then one day she was doing a job for them but when she returned, the house was on fire, her entire family was killed and she doesn't know who did it because her dad/brothers didnt tell her all the info regarding their enemies, alliances ect. So now Kate, a young girl in her late teens/early 20s has to try to use the few family associates she knows about to piece together the full story of what happened, diving deep into the mafia world (that her father/brothers didnt want her to get too involved with) to find the killers and avenge her family...

Maybe she has a strong desire to prove herself because her family didnt think she could handle the mafia life because she was a girl (using the same arguments that girls aren't 'cut out' for that type of life ect that some people on GameFaqs posted against her) and that just made her more frustrated and determined to prove them wrong. She could even use the fact that shes a girl to her advantage (enemies making the fatal mistake not taking her seriously saying that "a 120 pound girl could never hurt me" shortly before getting a bullet to the head)...

I could get into that...
---
(PSN: MShogunH)
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Grand Theft Auto V, God of War: Ascension!!!
#202wokiboy67Posted 1/6/2013 12:34:18 PM
If R* made a female protag, as long as she was badass

I have seen quite a few females with bad asses,so no thank you sir..
---
Never forgive,never forget.
#203Chrono_SyndromePosted 1/7/2013 4:52:58 AM
Btw... Didn't people supposed choose one between "120 pound" and USA ?
On a serious note: deedful kids with complled undernourishment (like being basically homeless) tends to be thrice as dangerous as ordinary teenager bantlings.
#204B0vrilPosted 1/7/2013 8:20:14 AM
BluntChick posted...
So there are 3 in this game and they couldn't make one female? Whats the deal, Rockstar? Females can't fit the cliche of criminals changing their ways and becoming good citizens? Is there any reason? I have no other complaints about this series other than this.. I would love to see a female protagonist.. Is Rockstar scared that their predominantly male core demographic won't want to play as a woman because their ego's are too fragile? We are out there as gamers and would love to be portrayed as more than just hookers, coked out strippers and suck hags! We are tired of being portrayed as not being independent and not being able to get along without males.. Look at me, I'm successful and I don't need a man to feel good about myself, so show us the respect we deserve! Chicks love GTA too, wake up Rockstar its 2012!

Having said all that, I'm not bashing the games! Vice City is my favorite game of all time and I will be preordering this one as well.. Its just one gripe I have which I think is legitimate.. Have they given any reasons? Thanks!

(Waiting for the first go make me a sammich response, you aint original I've heard it all..)

I think your being a incredibly simplistic. Rockstar puts a lot into it's characters & their particular narratives. I don't think they should just do a female protag just because people think "it's time", that's exactly the reason not to.

You also neglect to consider the confidence a male writer needs to pen a female protagonist. It's something that authors often consider quite an intimidating task. And not something you do just for the sake of it.

I suspect that, next-gen, the female protag will be the "in thing", and there will be many extremely poorly written female characters.

If am going to play as a female character I want that to be a significant departure from playing as a male character, rather than just a different model & voice actor. Some games have already done this very well, like Mirrors Edge.
#205wokiboy67Posted 1/7/2013 8:38:48 AM
B0vril posted...
BluntChick posted...
So there are 3 in this game and they couldn't make one female? Whats the deal, Rockstar? Females can't fit the cliche of criminals changing their ways and becoming good citizens? Is there any reason? I have no other complaints about this series other than this.. I would love to see a female protagonist.. Is Rockstar scared that their predominantly male core demographic won't want to play as a woman because their ego's are too fragile? We are out there as gamers and would love to be portrayed as more than just hookers, coked out strippers and suck hags! We are tired of being portrayed as not being independent and not being able to get along without males.. Look at me, I'm successful and I don't need a man to feel good about myself, so show us the respect we deserve! Chicks love GTA too, wake up Rockstar its 2012!

Having said all that, I'm not bashing the games! Vice City is my favorite game of all time and I will be preordering this one as well.. Its just one gripe I have which I think is legitimate.. Have they given any reasons? Thanks!

(Waiting for the first go make me a sammich response, you aint original I've heard it all..)

I think your being a incredibly simplistic. Rockstar puts a lot into it's characters & their particular narratives. I don't think they should just do a female protag just because people think "it's time", that's exactly the reason not to.

You also neglect to consider the confidence a male writer needs to pen a female protagonist. It's something that authors often consider quite an intimidating task. And not something you do just for the sake of it.

I suspect that, next-gen, the female protag will be the "in thing", and there will be many extremely poorly written female characters.

If am going to play as a female character I want that to be a significant departure from playing as a male character, rather than just a different model & voice actor. Some games have already done this very well, like Mirrors Edge.

If i just could understand the importance of having a female protagonist. Sorry,but i can't.
---
#206_white_rabbitPosted 1/8/2013 2:24:34 AM
Chrono_Syndrome posted...
On a serious note: deedful kids with complled undernourishment (like being basically homeless) tends to be thrice as dangerous as ordinary teenager bantlings.

What in the actual f***??? :/
---
"You wouldn't know the truth if you found it banging your wife; now shut up and release my client. And your wife's not that great." K Rosenburg
#207Phazon2000Posted 1/8/2013 3:11:08 AM
This really is going to hit 500, isn't it?
---
Dope on the damn table.
#208Chrono_SyndromePosted 1/8/2013 4:24:06 AM(edited)
_white_rabbit posted...
Chrono_Syndrome posted...

What in the actual f***??? :/

Thou hallo there. We would take note at your critique and take flollowing step accordingly somewhen. Have a nice day.

Phazon2000 posted...

Best topic here, so far. Nothing gonna even come close.
#209MShogunHPosted 1/8/2013 7:49:51 AM
What happens if it reaches 500?
---
(PSN: MShogunH)
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Grand Theft Auto V, God of War: Ascension!!!
#210wokiboy67Posted 1/8/2013 3:37:03 PM
Phazon2000 posted...

Maybe even hit 1000..?
---