Still No Female Protagonists?

#81c_yoderPosted 11/27/2012 10:56:15 AM
arturo228 posted...
Well then hopefully she has a twin.

Hypothetically (as Spaz said, PS2 era characters aren't returning), she would have to, I'd think. Because even in GTA:SA, Catalina came off as antagonistic, and I couldn't envision her EVER being a protag. Of course, I can't imagine her having a twin, either, but again this is just hypothetical.
---
Now playing: MK: Komplete Edition, MGS: Peace Walker HD, Dead Nation
Now anticipating: GTA V, Dead Island: Riptide, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
#82deltamustang_65Posted 11/27/2012 1:15:48 PM
So, ah...has 'ol bluntie bothered to post after the original?
---
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
PSN: DeltaMustang65 GT5 Garage:http://www.mygranturismo.net/25743
#83beardface21Posted 11/27/2012 2:53:44 PM
deltamustang_65 posted...
beardface21 posted...
Look, if Rockstar wants to make a female lead, then they should do it with quality. Not just to amuse some folk.

The whole point of a game is to amuse some folk.

All I'm going to say is that it's much harder for me to relate to a woman, and relating to the character is a big thing to the Housers.

Hmmm...that almost sounds as hard as relating to, well...ANY of the main characters of the GTA games. Seriously, gender is where you draw the line? How superficial. And sad.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Elizabeta being that powerful and having scores of goons at her disposal. She was more like the Queen hood rat of Bohan.

You people seriously need to pick a side. All women are only good for washing dishes and making sammiches, or being "queen hoodrat"? Two sides of the same coin, if you ask me. Are you really that afraid of intricacy or depth or character?

I am picking a side dude, and that's whatever the Housers do. All I'm saying is make female character as in depth as they do all of their main characters since this game generation dropped.

And Elizabeta is the Queen Hoodrat in comparison to the other mobsters in the game. That doesn't mean she should be in the kitchen (in my opinion she can stay away from the fridge).

As for amusing folk, yeah GTA always has done that, but then they took a slightly different approach and made Niko a bit more humbling than outright insane like Tommy.

Johnny was another one in that direction, and perhaps even Luis.

And it maybe superficial and sad to you, but that's just my thoughts on the matter. It's just video games at the end of the day. Anything superficial is taken with a grain of salt.
---
Ghost Recon FS: Where you can be invisible and a noob at the same time! PSN:usfstu18
#84ShiangPosted 11/27/2012 7:12:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#85ShiangPosted 11/27/2012 7:16:06 PM
I reject the opinion that a woman "wouldn't fit" GTA.

A character in GTA is designed to create chaos and gain fame and power within their world. A female character is as capable of that as a man is. The issue is an inherent belief amongst the fanbase, and possibly the R* themselves, that a man can do X, Y and Z, whilst a woman can only do X, Y or Z.

I believe that R* are capable of creating a balanced female character who stepped out of the kitchen and took on the world. However, considering how R* have treated women so far in their games, I doubt they would choose to do so for several reasons.

The first and foremost reason is that they would risk alienating their fanbase by committing the atrocity of condemning them to play as a female character. Any insecure sexist who believed that men were superior to women would dislike something that challenged that belief. Especially if that video game represented the woman as something other than a sexy outfit with a gun.

The second reason is that having a balanced female character would require a choice between showing that woman to be a "manly" bad*** who blasted through everything in her way, or to have her be a broken bird who required the protection of a man to guide her through the cruel, cold streets. The first is unrealistic (but who cares? It is a video game after all) and the second is patronising (but would reassure all those insecure minds out there.)

The third reason is that no female lead character would satisfy the entirety of the male-dominated fanbase. They would claim she wasn't attractive enough, strong enough, easy enough - issues that a male lead character would never have to deal with, and issues that would threaten the marketability of such a game.

Those are the issues of having a female protagonist. That's why R* won't have one, because they won't risk alienating the fanbase and losing all of their money. At the end of the day, they're just another company who want to make money.

But if the fanbase were willing to accept her, I'm certain that a woman could fit the cut for a GTA game.
---
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams... Yea, in spite of a dreamer who slumbers, and a singer who sings no more.
#86DarkchocolateXPosted 11/27/2012 7:16:23 PM
Shiang posted...

*Kicks Shiang on the bottom* GET 'kicks again' THE 'Kicks twice this time a little harder' HELL OUT OF HERE! 'roundhouses Shiang's bottom out the topic door'

Stubborn bastard. And don't come back!
---
Woman: Does this make me look fat? Al Bundy: It's not the dress that makes you look fat it's the fat that makes you look
#87adz-specPosted 11/27/2012 11:38:50 PM
arturo228 posted...
Well then hopefully she has a twin.

Her twin would have to be part of the same universe for them to be related. And that universe is finished.
---
PSN: adz-spec
#88wokiboy67Posted 11/28/2012 12:48:51 AM
Shiang posted...

A character in GTA is designed to create chaos and gain fame and power within their world. A female character is as capable of that as a man is. The issue is an inherent belief amongst the fanbase, and possibly the R* themselves, that a man can do X, Y and Z, whilst a woman can only do X, Y or Z.

I believe that R* are capable of creating a balanced female character who stepped out of the kitchen and took on the world. However, considering how R* have treated women so far in their games, I doubt they would choose to do so for several reasons.

The first and foremost reason is that they would risk alienating their fanbase by committing the atrocity of condemning them to play as a female character. Any insecure sexist who believed that men were superior to women would dislike something that challenged that belief. Especially if that video game represented the woman as something other than a sexy outfit with a gun.

The second reason is that having a balanced female character would require a choice between showing that woman to be a "manly" bad*** who blasted through everything in her way, or to have her be a broken bird who required the protection of a man to guide her through the cruel, cold streets. The first is unrealistic (but who cares? It is a video game after all) and the second is patronising (but would reassure all those insecure minds out there.)

The third reason is that no female lead character would satisfy the entirety of the male-dominated fanbase. They would claim she wasn't attractive enough, strong enough, easy enough - issues that a male lead character would never have to deal with, and issues that would threaten the marketability of such a game.

Those are the issues of having a female protagonist. That's why R* won't have one, because they won't risk alienating the fanbase and losing all of their money. At the end of the day, they're just another company who want to make money.

But if the fanbase were willing to accept her, I'm certain that a woman could fit the cut for a GTA game.

Good,now we know why there's no female protagonist. Thank you sir!
---
Never forgive,never forget.
#89DarkchocolateXPosted 11/28/2012 1:29:07 AM
wokiboy67 posted...
Shiang posted...

Good,now we know why there's no female protagonist. Thank you sir!

Also, Trevor looks like a super male-model. Guys a freakin icon.
---
Woman: Does this make me look fat? Al Bundy: It's not the dress that makes you look fat it's the fat that makes you look
#90_white_rabbitPosted 11/28/2012 1:56:15 AM
Dat combover...........
---
"You wouldn't know the truth if you found it banging your wife; now shut up and release my client. And your wife's not that great." K Rosenburg