A lot of aliasing in the game?

#1pecorrePosted 9/19/2013 5:34:26 AM
I played GTAV for the first time yesterday. During the tutorial mission I thought that the game looked very good. But as soon as I get to Los Santos with Franklin, I see aliasing everywhere (mostly during the day).

Is it my tv? (Samsung 32inch 1080p, 5-6 years old, hdmi). I tried to adjust the sharpness, but it changed nothing. If it's my TV, I'll simply go buy another one.

Is it because I played too many PC games lately and I'm not used to PS3 graphics anymore?

Is it normal?
#2AevenathPosted 9/19/2013 6:07:10 AM
We're at the limit of how much AA current gen consoles can do. With the scope of the map I never expected much, if any, AA.
---
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4941/8lpf.png
#3knickschampsPosted 9/19/2013 6:14:30 AM
Jaggies as people call it is usually a result of people not understanding the sharpness setting on a HDTV. Sharpness adds artificial sharpness to the image giving everything a fake but very SHARP look. It is something left over from the days of SDTVs and has no use in current HDTV but manufacturers include it anyways. It makes it even worse that the default setting for most TV is adding artificial sharpness. You always want the sharpness value to be at the point where nothing is added and nothing is taken away. On Samsung TV the value should always be at 0 anything else and you are introducing artificial elements into the image. On some other brands though it can be other than 0 because they have a scale which includes softening/blurring and sharpnening so it is best to find out what the 0 value is for your particular HDTV. I know what jaggies are and there is 0 in this game on a properly calibrated Samsung 32" HDTV.
#4redorblue88Posted 9/19/2013 6:19:47 AM
knickschamps posted...
Jaggies as people call it is usually a result of people not understanding the sharpness setting on a HDTV. Sharpness adds artificial sharpness to the image giving everything a fake but very SHARP look. It is something left over from the days of SDTVs and has no use in current HDTV but manufacturers include it anyways. It makes it even worse that the default setting for most TV is adding artificial sharpness. You always want the sharpness value to be at the point where nothing is added and nothing is taken away. On Samsung TV the value should always be at 0 anything else and you are introducing artificial elements into the image. On some other brands though it can be other than 0 because they have a scale which includes softening/blurring and sharpnening so it is best to find out what the 0 value is for your particular HDTV. I know what jaggies are and there is 0 in this game on a properly calibrated Samsung 32" HDTV.

I agree, tv settings can make a difference. But if you think there are 0 jaggies in this game. You don't know what aliasing is. Play a pc game with 8x multi sampling ant-aliasing and then you'll know what a game with no jaggeis looks like. This is not it...still, amazing game though!!!
#5knickschampsPosted 9/19/2013 6:25:19 AM
I have a mid-range gaming PC as well (2008). I know what AA does and what it looks like without it. Maybe everything about my view distance, calibration fits near perfectly or maybe God just remove the jaggies from my vision but I havent seen any everything looks near photo realistic on mine . When you consider all that is going on and how fast everything is it is easily graphically more impressive than The Last of Us. I cant help but suspect lack of proper calibration techniques when I hear anyone saying anything bad about these graphics.
#6RadioMirrorParkPosted 9/19/2013 6:31:14 AM
I have an old Samsung 702p HDTV. I set the sharpness to 0. GTAV looks fantastic, much better than IV.
---
I came...I saw...Got drunk...Fell on the floor.
#7pecorre(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 7:15:59 AM
knickschamps posted...

RadioMirrorPark posted...
I have an old Samsung 702p HDTV. I set the sharpness to 0. GTAV looks fantastic, much better than IV.

OMG! Thanks guys! The sharpness on my TV was 50. I always thought that it was the default setting.