To older fans: Do you like GTA5 AND the older games at the same time?

#11dimebagdrlPosted 2/12/2014 12:36:12 AM
I like them all. They each game has its own appeal.

But i will say that i have been highly disappointed in the music (not the radio, the music) since Vice City. San Andreas onwards have been very hit or miss when it comes to the rock stations. Rockstar has focused a lot of their music licensing towards getting the other stations solid playlists, so I find myself jumping around between the modern rock and classic rock stations and going over to the talk radio stations when both sync up their sucky songs.

Back in Vice City, I could just sit on a rock station until it looped before I switched over to KCHAT or VCPR. I get that creating a playlist everyone will like is difficult, but it's gotten pretty bad lately.
---
"Don't fight with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - A guy who clearly lost the fight.
#12SilverhermitPosted 2/12/2014 1:28:59 AM
In gaming terms, the older games haven't aged that well. The PS1 games, even at the time of release, were considered to be 'niche' in terms of direct appeal. Like with all good gaming ideas that seem to come onto a console a generation too early, what they had was new and interesting, but the console lacked the power to really flesh out those ideas.

GTAIII was the first in the series to really show the 'ideas' in the format that still exists today, and was revelatory back in 2001. If you weren't there at the time, it's hard to describe just what a massive deal the release of GTAIII was. OK, today it looks pretty terrible, but..... If any 'younger' gamers haven't played it, I would recommend you put in the hours and play through it at least once.

Vice City has always been the black sheep, for me..... Whilst the graphics were improved immensely, and the soundtrack was better in tune for the 'period'...... I have always felt the game, whilst a very good game, created potential that it just didn't live up to. Also, the game felt very short, and was very easy!

San Andreas, in my opinion, is still the best game in the series. Combining even better graphics than Vice City, with a much... much... much larger map. More vehicles, more weapons, more 'A-list' voice acting, unbelievable soundtrack, character customisation..... and much more besides. Also, San Andreas, to me, was the game that had the most 'complete' storyline. With several threads running parallel to one another, before the build up to the 'riotous' climax.

GTAIV, in comparison, was disappointing. Yes, the leap into HD graphics leant a more realistic feel, but that came at the expense of that 'cartoonish' sensibility of the earlier '3D' games. Also, whilst the protagonist was a fairly likeable sociopath, pretty much every NPC in the game was an annoying dick who I really didn't want to work for/associate with. Add on an astoundingly bad soundtrack, a physics model that would launch a Fire Engine into the air if you ran over a pebble, and a much smaller roster of vehicles....... And, for me, another 'good' game.... falling short of greatness.

GTAV, is a step in the right direction, but still suffers from the hangover left by GTAIV. I quite like the '3 main character' setup, and the ability to switch between them. But I don't like the fact that storyline is so linear, and the characters really have no backstory or depth. The game is also very short, with a very boring structure....... 'mission, mission, mission, heist, mission......' etc. Whilst the idea of the heists is a welcome break from the idea of a continuing storyline through to a conclusion, their presence as 'breaks' in the story don't seem to add anything. Plus the move, on the developer's part, towards a greater sense of realism, means that the inherent fun of earlier games has been removed. Replaced instead with incredibly boring leisure activities, or 'strangers & freaks' missions that are incredibly inane....... (Parachute jumping with an adrenaline junkie, foot/bike races against some angry fitness freak feminist, and that whole 'Epsilon' thing.....)
Finally add a Police force that will merrily chase you for beeping your car horn at someone, but aren't really bothered if you're being chased at high speed through the centre of the city by hitmen who are spraying your car with automatic weaponfire...... And, contextually, the series peaked oh so many years ago......
---
I Like Your Style Gnome
#13HarpyladyPosted 2/12/2014 8:19:33 AM
I turned thirty this year, I play GTA, I Also play Mass Effect and countless other games, I Still play Nintendo and supernintendo games to from time to time.
---
No matter what happens, even if you become the world's enemy, I'll be your knight. ~ Stiener FFIX
#14vivalatourPosted 2/12/2014 11:04:09 AM
I like GTA IV , TBOGT , TLATD,GTA V , as far as the others go , if they were upgraded to present times I would probably like them , but , to me all the others make me laugh at how crappy they really are !
I could imagine The Punisher and Scarface revisited in the kind of development and design they have now ... the industry would make milllllllllllions more ! ...you asked and I told you ...
#15hyperskate65Posted 2/17/2014 5:40:59 PM
II and V are fighting really hard for my all-time favorite GTAs at the moment.

VC will always be next, and IV above SA.

Then II will be last just because top down, bleh.
---
his comparison suggests we're closet african americans.
PSN BlahblahUnicornx 3rd General UMvC3 Heroes
#16CaIiber345Posted 2/17/2014 6:08:12 PM
I love GTA V.

I still think that GTA III, SA, and IV are awesome. I only briefly played VC, and I played both of the original games and still respect them for what they were. I also love RDR.
---
I'd like to play DayZ on consoles.
People who agree: 14
#17SanAndreas_GurlPosted 2/18/2014 9:08:57 AM
SexySamSosa67 posted...
but of course, my boy

I concur. I've got love for the new and the old.
Sometimes I pop in the older games purely for the nostalgia. I'll forget playing GTA 3 for the first time with my jaw opened.

Just thinking about it makes me wanna play it.
---
Posted using GameFlux
Get it now for Android from Google Play!
#18SanAndreas_GurlPosted 2/18/2014 9:26:10 AM
Silverhermit posted...
In gaming terms, the older games haven't aged that well. The PS1 games, even at the time of release, were considered to be 'niche' in terms of direct appeal. Like with all good gaming ideas that seem to come onto a console a generation too early, what they had was new and interesting, but the console lacked the power to really flesh out those ideas.

GTAIII was the first in the series to really show the 'ideas' in the format that still exists today, and was revelatory back in 2001. If you weren't there at the time, it's hard to describe just what a massive deal the release of GTAIII was. OK, today it looks pretty terrible, but..... If any 'younger' gamers haven't played it, I would recommend you put in the hours and play through it at least once.

Vice City has always been the black sheep, for me..... Whilst the graphics were improved immensely, and the soundtrack was better in tune for the 'period'...... I have always felt the game, whilst a very good game, created potential that it just didn't live up to. Also, the game felt very short, and was very easy!

San Andreas, in my opinion, is still the best game in the series. Combining even better graphics than Vice City, with a much... much... much larger map. More vehicles, more weapons, more 'A-list' voice acting, unbelievable soundtrack, character customisation..... and much more besides. Also, San Andreas, to me, was the game that had the most 'complete' storyline. With several threads running parallel to one another, before the build up to the 'riotous' climax.

GTAIV, in comparison, was disappointing. Yes, the leap into HD graphics leant a more realistic feel, but that came at the expense of that 'cartoonish' sensibility of the earlier '3D' games. Also, whilst the protagonist was a fairly likeable sociopath, pretty much every NPC in the game was an annoying dick who I really didn't want to work for/associate with. Add on an astoundingly bad soundtrack, a physics model that would launch a Fire Engine into the air if you ran over a pebble, and a much smaller roster of vehicles....... And, for me, another 'good' game.... falling short of greatness.

GTAV, is a step in the right direction, but still suffers from the hangover left by GTAIV. I quite like the '3 main character' setup, and the ability to switch between them. But I don't like the fact that storyline is so linear, and the characters really have no backstory or depth. The game is also very short, with a very boring structure....... 'mission, mission, mission, heist, mission......' etc. Whilst the idea of the heists is a welcome break from the idea of a continuing storyline through to a conclusion, their presence as 'breaks' in the story don't seem to add anything. Plus the move, on the developer's part, towards a greater sense of realism, means that the inherent fun of earlier games has been removed. Replaced instead with incredibly boring leisure activities, or 'strangers & freaks' missions that are incredibly inane....... (Parachute jumping with an adrenaline junkie, foot/bike races against some angry fitness freak feminist, and that whole 'Epsilon' thing.....)
Finally add a Police force that will merrily chase you for beeping your car horn at someone, but aren't really bothered if you're being chased at high speed through the centre of the city by hitmen who are spraying your car with automatic weaponfire...... And, contextually, the series peaked oh so many years ago......

That's one of the most accurate descriptions I've read in a while.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#19XavierKnight4dPosted 2/19/2014 12:20:17 PM
I've played them all. The only two that I've finished are Vice City and V.

My order is:
Vice City
V
San Andreas
IV
Vice stories
Liberty Stories
Chinatown wars
III
I
The rest of the ps1 games
---
Undead
Psn: Xavier_magnus
#20AFilthyHippiePosted 2/19/2014 3:01:26 PM
GTA V is excellent for me, but SA is still my favorite. V is a very close second though.
---
PSN: AFilthyHippie.