Three characters and they're all male. Why is Rockstar afraid of progress?

#11katurosPosted 11/8/2012 4:58:34 PM
RDen96 posted...
This troll topic failed, didn't it?

Terribly.
---
G-Bay
#12ill-thoughtsPosted 11/8/2012 5:01:51 PM
88milesperhour posted...
a female protagonist that isn't a sex symbol.

LOL

all things considered, i did enjoy playing as a woman in GTA4's multiplayer....and also in Saints Row The Third. i think with the Premis of this game being about heisting, a woman wouldnt really fit in, as women tend to Not be effective in violent and deadly situations LOL...but id LOVE to play as the female officer Valesquez or whatever her name is, i think that would be a BLAST. it would be like combining True Crime and GTA :O

now thats what i call DLC.
#1388milesperhour(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 5:03:13 PM
FriendlyGamer posted...
Why is innovation so reliant on what gender the character's are? As long as their stories are interesting, their personalities fleshed out, why does it matter? The majority of people playing GTA5 will be male and they are going to want to relate to the characters, and become immersed in the game.

The problem is that their stories and personalities are not interesting. They're the same exact thing we've seen in other GTA games. They're rehashing the same old stories and hiding behind HD graphics and big worlds so we won't notice.

Rockstar thinks gamers are idiots, and of course the sheep on this board will hand over their preorders and money to play the same old **** and see the same old narrative.
#14RDen96Posted 11/8/2012 5:05:31 PM
So, you want a story about a soccer mom who learns kung-fu from an infomercial or something?
---
Thank you for shopping at Valco!
Deno
#15FriendlyGamerPosted 11/8/2012 5:10:00 PM
88milesperhour posted...

The problem is that their stories and personalities are not interesting. They're the same exact thing we've seen in other GTA games. They're rehashing the same old stories and hiding behind HD graphics and big worlds so we won't notice.

Rockstar thinks gamers are idiots, and of course the sheep on this board will hand over their preorders and money to play the same old **** and see the same old narrative.

It's like you've actually played and beaten the game. Only you haven't, and everything you are saying is conjecture.
#16jimbobrulezPosted 11/8/2012 5:12:03 PM
FriendlyGamer posted...
88milesperhour posted...

It's like you've actually played and beaten the game. Only you haven't, and everything you are saying is conjecture.

Conjecture may be too big a word for the man
---
its like gta: sa... Carl should've had 1 star at all times, just being a black guy in 1990s L.A.- Masonator 2002
#17ZodofWarPosted 11/8/2012 5:19:39 PM
italics560 posted...
FriendlyGamer posted...
Why is innovation so reliant on what gender the character's are? As long as their stories are interesting, their personalities fleshed out, why does it matter? The majority of people playing GTA5 will be male and they are going to want to relate to the characters, and become immersed in the game.

Oh my god this.

Being married to a female gamer, I understand the frustration 88miles feels, as the video game world is not just guys. And yet, guys are all they cater to. It's frustrating for anyone to think they're not appreciated, but to pay to feel that way?

I'm sure if you all found out that from now on, only women would be the main protags in games, you'd throw yourself a little hissy, too. So maybe back off 88miles and see where he/she is coming from rather than bash he/she for simply wanting to voice their understandable opinion.
---
Being Difficult is easy.
#18SherlockHomeyPosted 11/8/2012 5:44:52 PM
italics560 posted...
FriendlyGamer posted...

Oh my god this.

Being married to a female gamer, I understand the frustration 88miles feels, as the video game world is not just guys. And yet, guys are all they cater to. It's frustrating for anyone to think they're not appreciated, but to pay to feel that way?

I'm sure if you all found out that from now on, only women would be the main protags in games, you'd throw yourself a little hissy, too. So maybe back off 88miles and see where he/she is coming from rather than bash he/she for simply wanting to voice their understandable opinion.

I'm pretty sure the majority of male gamers would be fine with this.

/obviousimplying
#19cordsmanPosted 11/8/2012 5:48:13 PM
Rockstar being afraid of progress. That's funny.
---
"A man chooses... a slave obeys. Kill!" - Andrew Ryan
PSN: BigDaddyFatso
#20FriendlyGamerPosted 11/8/2012 5:58:32 PM(edited)
ZodofWar posted...

GTA5 is a product. Since GTA3, it has sold millions of copies and become critically acclaimed. It has always had male protagonists. There are lots of other games with female leads, and as women become a larger percentage of the people buying games in the first place, the number is sure to rise.

There are probably people out there who want a female 007, a jane bond film. There never will be, it is a masculine film and it's primary target audience is men. Just like there are feminine films targeted mainly at women. GTA is a masculine game. Suck it up and refuse to buy the game if it doesn't appeal to you.