Three characters and they're all male. Why is Rockstar afraid of progress?

#141ill-thoughtsPosted 11/9/2012 12:41:51 AM
i read somewhere that youll actually be able to play as an Antagonist.....it COULD be the female officer thats seen in one of the pictures....Valesquez i think the name was.
#142RanmaRanmaPosted 11/9/2012 3:06:54 AM
Look what changing to a female protagonist did to FFXIII. I kid, I kid. I agree with the OP. These characters not only resemble the three protagonists from the PS2 era GTA games in terms of looks, but also mimics their personas as well. It's lazy and predictable. I wonder if Rockstar is trying to swerve people ala MGS2. I doubt it though.
---
http://animerecap.blogspot.com/
#143ZodofWarPosted 11/9/2012 6:21:24 AM
IrisVile posted...
Thirdrail1 posted...
I agree with you, TC. When they said 3 protagonists, I thought, "Wow, Rockstar has finally grown up enough to have a female character. I never thought I'd live to see the day."

But, no, it's just three more generic Rockstar dudes. I love their engines, but their writing is just terrible. Every GTA game reminds me of reading fiction written by high school boys for other high school boys. They can imagine females as whores, liars, junkies, or someone who just screams at you all the time, and that's pretty much where their perception of women ends. It says some genuinely awful things about the people who work there.

Most men in general aren't great to women. You are either a sex symbol or Meg.

Small Sidenote due to not wanting to argue. I know when it comes to endurance I out last loads of guys physically due to being a runner and light gymnast. So I feel like to level the playing field wouldn't the 90 pound blonde girl: need to be a will trained black belt to take on a 300 pound body builder? (only using that due to a guy of the same build would just as easily be disposed of).

Especially if we look at an average man vs average woman it really boils down to, his strengths and her level of playing nasty. Eye gouging and testicle popping, tend to be greater than brute force...though if he just starts wailing on her she could be pretty screwed too.

I don't see why a woman can't do what needs to be done in a GTA game. Driving, shooting, and delivering idiotic jokes is not just a male thing. Giving the player the option to play as a male or a female has worked wonders for other games. Just look at Saints Row 3. All in all, a horribly written POS filled with jr high humor and rubber male parts references. But it sold how many millions of copies? You don't think the fact that they let women play as a woman, affected that?

Bottom line is that no demographic, in this day and age, should feel left out or pissed on by the games they pay good money for. And to those of you who think that if the situation was reversed, and all the male leads were female, that it wouldn't bother you, well it would bother some. Maybe not you, but someone would be upset about it.

Just like the TC is upset about this, and decided to voice it. Too bad so many of you come to a message board to only read stuff you agree with, and not discuss things like a civilized person. Otherwise, this could've been a great dialogue, instead of the testosterone fueled stupidity it turned into.
---
Being Difficult is easy.
#144goldwPosted 11/9/2012 7:51:07 AM
No, because it would not make sense.

In real life, gangs do not let women lead, or become high ranking members. They do not seek out gun for hires that are women.

GTA looks to be more realistic, so a female protagonist does not make sense.

---
A child has a 40% chance of surviving if hit by Usain Bolt - S1nharvest
#145Erik_PPosted 11/9/2012 7:54:07 AM
strange_guy posted...
pizzaman95 posted...
I have a question for you all.

Arguments like these on the Internet never reach any conclusion, peaceful or otherwise aside from one party leaving. No one changes their opinion, no one thinks "Well, that person had a good point", no one goes "Huh, I might not actually be right.".

So why are you all still arguing when this argument has turned into a foregone conclusion?

Well I thought we had some common ground but now this guy won't even believe that I've been on co-ed teams just because I disagree with him.
---

You hate women so it's kinda tough to believe your claim that you would play sports with women.

Also, I laugh at how you claim you've never insulted anyone in this topic and yet you just called someone retarded.
---
Knock knock! Who's there? SHOOT ME IN THE FACE! - Face McShooty
#146Skribbz1990Posted 11/9/2012 7:55:39 AM
Because in real life you can have a head on collision at 120 mph and not get a scratch, right?

A female protagonists would have been just fine. She wouldn't have had to be the leader or anything, or even in a gang at all. Criminals can work on their own.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3vnj3Ri3z1r43g6fo1_400.gif
#147MashYouGoodPosted 11/9/2012 8:05:53 AM
More to the point, why are R* afraid of progressing the game to a full cop open-world experience?

I mean, three different protags for one player to use? Crapcom knew not even RE6 could get away with such stupidity...
#148hakmiyaPosted 11/9/2012 9:08:29 AM(edited)
goldw posted...
No, because it would not make sense.

In real life, gangs do not let women lead, or become high ranking members. They do not seek out gun for hires that are women.

GTA looks to be more realistic, so a female protagonist does not make sense.

This is a stab at humor right?

If not then you should pay attention to the news and get out of your gated community more because that was ignorant. There are plenty of women ring leaders out there who run a multitude of crimes. Also gangs dont hire, they jump people in, put them through trials, make them murder a random stranger, or steal a specific item. The only form of "hire" is the promise of a reward or a piece of the cut if a task is successful
Women who are active gang members also get chosen to carry out task. Some latino and blueflag black sets actually use the attractive girl members to take out hits. They know its much easier for females to lure someone to a empty place so they can put a bullet in their head or cut out their throat.

There are however certain groups that believe women are under men and the only reason is to keep them in the gang for sex or drug transpiration but they are not a global organization. Some groups dont allow male members.
Not all criminals are the same.
#149Erik_PPosted 11/9/2012 9:24:40 AM
MashYouGood posted...
More to the point, why are R* afraid of progressing the game to a full cop open-world experience?

I mean, three different protags for one player to use? Crapcom knew not even RE6 could get away with such stupidity...

Hell no! That'd be terrible!
---
Knock knock! Who's there? SHOOT ME IN THE FACE! - Face McShooty
#150theballer_04Posted 11/9/2012 9:34:06 AM
Someone with a differing viewpoint =\= troll