Three characters and they're all male. Why is Rockstar afraid of progress?

#41MinamoPosted 11/8/2012 9:12:34 PM
RDen96 posted...
So, you want a story about a soccer mom who learns kung-fu from an infomercial or something?

That sounds awesome.
#42oxnerdPosted 11/8/2012 9:14:32 PM
Wan't there a gay character?
#43RoachmeatPosted 11/8/2012 9:20:00 PM
In unrelated news, 'Saints Row: The Third' sold over 5 million since its release.

And while I have to lower the price I'd pay to even play GTA5 now, I have to agree with the folks saying that ROCKSTAR had to make their story legit through the characters they decide to lead with.

As for Grand Theft Auto 5 itself, R* should just make a low budget bank heist movie on [AMC] and be done with it already. But yeah, go after that sweet 'Mafia 2' and 'Godfather' fanbase I guess.. (-)'
#44TiamatKillerPosted 11/8/2012 9:23:45 PM
Why do Popeye's commercials all use the black lady cook?

I want to see a white man cook.

I'm never buying from Popeye's again.

/threadanalogy
---
GTX 560 Ti (2GB)/ z77-pro motherboard/ i5-3570k/ 8 GB RAM
#45iedahGPosted 11/8/2012 9:28:39 PM
wwervin posted...
I don't find the idea of a 90 pound skinny blonde chick stealing cars in broad daylight in a bad neighborhood, and leading a group of psychopathic men on bank heists is very realistic.

Wow thats pretty sexist and its kind of silly since GTA has never really had any "realistic" set pieces in the first place.

Women can be ruthless too and if you think size and weight prevents people from being effective harden criminals then I suggest you look up the Latin kings, Crips, or the ms13. Some of these groups have women and child members who are high up in the respect chain for being so crazy, they even have all girl gangs who rob stores and murder people.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."
#46Erik_PPosted 11/8/2012 9:34:57 PM
iedahG posted...
wwervin posted...
I don't find the idea of a 90 pound skinny blonde chick stealing cars in broad daylight in a bad neighborhood, and leading a group of psychopathic men on bank heists is very realistic.

Wow thats pretty sexist and its kind of silly since GTA has never really had any "realistic" set pieces in the first place.

Women can be ruthless too and if you think size and weight prevents people from being effective harden criminals then I suggest you look up the Latin kings, Crips, or the ms13. Some of these groups have women and child members who are high up in the respect chain for being so crazy, they even have all girl gangs who rob stores and murder people.

What do you expect from ignorant teenagers who still live at home with mommy and daddy and have never had a girlfriend in their life?
---
Knock knock! Who's there? SHOOT ME IN THE FACE! - Face McShooty
#47RoastChickenYUMPosted 11/8/2012 9:38:16 PM
You're one of those crazy liberal types that think if a work of fiction doesn't portray (group x), whether it be women, certain racial groups or gays, that it's 'anti-progressive' or 'racist' or some other buzzword, aren't you OP?

If Rockstar wanted a character to be female for the story they're telling, they would've done that. Obviously they didn't want that. Do you honestly think that Rockstar, a developer who has been portrayed so negatively in mainstream media for the past decade, would be 'afraid' of the public reaction after having a female protagonist? That's one warped outlook on things.
#48strange_guyPosted 11/8/2012 9:41:00 PM
iedahG posted...
wwervin posted...

Really? You deny that there are gender differences when it comes to toughness? Why don't women play American football? Because the guys with 250 pounds of pure muscle(and some fat) would crush her. I have seen guys that scare the s*** out of me, but I cannot recall the last time I saw a woman that can bench press 400 and weighs 250 pounds of pure muscles.

I hate people who think both genders are exactly the same. It disgusts me. Nobody will deny that women do some stuff better than guys but screw the guys who say that they do stuff better than women!

Women can be involved in "masculine" activities but men cannot do "feminine" activities or they would be considered homosexual. I think society has disgusting double standards that makes me sick. Men are constantly told that they are worthless by the media and women and feminine males. The world is wide and open for women in the modern days, not so much for guys.

Admit it. There ARE some things that males can be proud of no matter what the media tells you and what movies tell you. If you look at women's activities in the military, they rarely do as many heroic acts as males.

Women are equal to men but we do have our strengths and weaknesses. We are not identical.
---
---
Stupid is when you spend 18 hours trying to drown a fish.
#49TromeritusPosted 11/8/2012 9:41:26 PM
Erik_P posted...
RDen96 posted...
This troll topic failed, didn't it?

Wanting to play as a female is trolling? Sounds like you're a sexist troll.

The fact that people find it funny that someone wants to play as a woman screams young and immature to me.

ZodofWar posted...
italics560 posted...
FriendlyGamer posted...
Why is innovation so reliant on what gender the character's are? As long as their stories are interesting, their personalities fleshed out, why does it matter? The majority of people playing GTA5 will be male and they are going to want to relate to the characters, and become immersed in the game.

Oh my god this.

Being married to a female gamer, I understand the frustration 88miles feels, as the video game world is not just guys. And yet, guys are all they cater to. It's frustrating for anyone to think they're not appreciated, but to pay to feel that way?

I'm sure if you all found out that from now on, only women would be the main protags in games, you'd throw yourself a little hissy, too. So maybe back off 88miles and see where he/she is coming from rather than bash he/she for simply wanting to voice their understandable opinion.

These.

Sadly, I feel like this topic is going to go very poorly.
---
Playing: Dead Space/Broken Sword/Dungeon Raid/GW2/Glitch
Reading: X-O Manowar/COBRA/Fatale/AoA/Prophet/Detective Comics/Stumptown/Rachel Rising/Amelia Cole
#50LesserAngelPosted 11/8/2012 9:45:09 PM(edited)
I have to agree with the TC that the characters we're seeing in GTA games is getting stale, but that has nothing to do with said character's gender. Also, why the same three locations over and over again? I'm sure they have a valid reason (maybe), but New York/Miami/LA is getting overused. How about Chicago or Philidelphia? Maybe try London again.

EDIT: Just a side note. When it comes to criminal activities, if the person has a gun, it really doesn't matter what sex they are or how much they weigh.