Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#11bender8877Posted 11/15/2012 2:03:03 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
are you guys honestly trying to tell me that you spend more time doing the story then you do free roaming/experimenting/messing around?

Yes. This game puts a lot of work into the story. This isn't a Call of Duty game where the story can be beat in 4-6 hours. 99% of the people who buy them buy them for the online multiplayer, I'd have to say it's the complete opposite for the GTA franchise.
---
[This message was deleted because of your face]
PSN ID: Jack-a-tola XBOX LIVE: Jack a tola
#12Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:03:42 PM
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I mean seriously... who buys these for the story?!? Everyone just wants to drive/fly/parachute/etc while getting those wanted stars!!! am i right?

I bet you're one of those people that buy the new Call of Dutys each year and jump straight to the multiplayer and don't ever touch the campaign. You're a fool and you don't even know what you're missing out on. Not having a story makes everything hollow and lifeless. What's the purpose of even giving these characters a face or a name if you're not even interested in their story? What's the purpose of even existing in this virtual world?

I hope no company ever takes your advice. We need games to evolve and go forward. Rockstar is one of the best companies when it comes to that.

i always played the COD campaign first....this is NOT a game where i play for the story however....i have much more fun just messing around and wrecking things....

Dont get me wrong guys, im NOT saying the story is bad...im just saying I have much more fun just messing around and if they didnt include the story, i wouldnt miss it ONE BIT! these games are great enough without the story....you dont need a purpose to exist in GTA! you just mess around....thats how i play anyway, who are you to say its wrong?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#13wwervinPosted 11/15/2012 2:06:05 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I mean seriously... who buys these for the story?!? Everyone just wants to drive/fly/parachute/etc while getting those wanted stars!!! am i right?

I bet you're one of those people that buy the new Call of Dutys each year and jump straight to the multiplayer and don't ever touch the campaign. You're a fool and you don't even know what you're missing out on. Not having a story makes everything hollow and lifeless. What's the purpose of even giving these characters a face or a name if you're not even interested in their story? What's the purpose of even existing in this virtual world?

I hope no company ever takes your advice. We need games to evolve and go forward. Rockstar is one of the best companies when it comes to that.

i always played the COD campaign first....this is NOT a game where i play for the story however....i have much more fun just messing around and wrecking things....

Dont get me wrong guys, im NOT saying the story is bad...im just saying I have much more fun just messing around and if they didnt include the story, i wouldnt miss it ONE BIT! these games are great enough without the story....you dont need a purpose to exist in GTA! you just mess around....thats how i play anyway, who are you to say its wrong?

Well to be fair, you can do everything you said without ever touching the story, especially in this game since the whole map is open to you from the start. I think the majority of us want the story however, so what's the point of even bringing this up? You can do it your way if you want, but let us have our stories.
#14HoosierGuy88Posted 11/15/2012 2:07:10 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...

There's only so much to do while messing around. Sure you can drive around and explore, you can kill random people, and you can run from the cops. But after you've explored everywhere if there's no missions then there's no point in even playing anymore.
#15Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:08:51 PM
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Well to be fair, you can do everything you said without ever touching the story, especially in this game since the whole map is open to you from the start. I think the majority of us want the story however, so what's the point of even bringing this up? You can do it your way if you want, but let us have our stories.

OMG!!! Why are you guys so freaking serious about this??? LMAO!!! Im not saying they should remove the story!!! I was merely posting to see how many thought like me, apparently no one....apparently no narrative means the game sucks in your guy's minds....
---
#16Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:10:17 PM
HoosierGuy88 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

There's only so much to do while messing around. Sure you can drive around and explore, you can kill random people, and you can run from the cops. But after you've explored everywhere if there's no missions then there's no point in even playing anymore.

i played more games with friends in GTA 4 where we just jumped motorcycles off ramp trucks and over helicopters than i can count!!! not to mention all the helicopter jousting we did!!! lol, good times
---
#17HoosierGuy88Posted 11/15/2012 2:10:29 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
apparently no narrative means the game sucks in your guy's minds....

Yes, yes it does.
#18shootsmackPosted 11/15/2012 2:10:50 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

OMG!!! Why are you guys so freaking serious about this??? LMAO!!! Im not saying they should remove the story!!! I was merely posting to see how many thought like me, apparently no one....apparently no narrative means the game sucks in your guy's minds....

What is with your writing? Quit it with the ellipses and duplicate exclamation.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#19wwervinPosted 11/15/2012 2:12:46 PM
HoosierGuy88 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

I agree with this. The added element of structured gameplay gives you something extra to do. It puts you in situations that lead to interesting and fun gameplay. Without it, you're literally just wandering around aimlessly.

Also, to reiterate what I said earlier about giving your character a face and a name, it makes the world feel alive. Yes, you do need a purpose in this game. It adds a level of immersion which you don't have otherwise. This is exactly why I think SR3 was such a terrible game. The story sucked and the game itself was very hollow and pointless. They spent so much effort trying to make everything whacky and over the top that they ignored the basics. They created a world that was tolerable to be in for about an hour or so before it got boring and stupid. They showed exactly why they can't compete with GTA. I would rather GTA stick to what makes GTA best.
#20Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:13:16 PM
HoosierGuy88 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
apparently no narrative means the game sucks in your guy's minds....

Yes, yes it does.

so was mario just a chore for you to play?
---