Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#111goldwPosted 11/16/2012 2:06:02 PM
goldw posted...
Well, if you change a game too much, you may mess up. Ninja Gaiden III is a good example.

Major gameplay changes should wait until something is broken and is needed to be changed.

see this is where I tend to disagree without changing gameplay in fairly substantial ways you're just releasing clones of previous games which for certain company's makes them money but don't you think we should demand better than that?

Sure it's risky but I'd rather follow a developer down a different road than to keep giving them money for a reskinned old game.

This is where I start to think you don't understand game development.

Game development is absurdly expensive. It is insane to believe that a publisher would increase fund on a project on a game, promoting radical gameplay shifts, if it is not needed. Not only is that expensive, it's time exhausting.

When I watched the Ratchet and Clank developer's playthrough, they talked about how expensive things we take for granted, like audience models and the HUD, were. They talked about how, even though the game wasn't being changed that radically from the older ones, how insanely unstable the game was, just weeks from release. They talked about the sheer multitude of hours, they put into the game, ironing out bugs, and other problems.

Today's market is over saturated by sequels, but this is to be expected. New IPs are just not a safe investment today, seeing how stupidly expensive game development is. Radical changes, especially with games with successful formulas, are not smart uses of money.
---
A child has a 40% chance of surviving if hit by Usain Bolt - S1nharvest
#112shootsmackPosted 11/16/2012 2:08:52 PM(edited)
ohhh okay so nes was not more popular than texting games...i see
--------------------------------------

and its funny that you mention that 创 games were played for different reasons and people had different expectations创

since you where the one that originally said that people that play gta for free roaming have 创low IQ创

It doesn't matter how popular something is. The games were available. This fact alone invalidates several of your previous generalizations. And everyone can free roam in GTA. Playing the story is also free-roaming. Ignoring the story because it "bores you" or makes you feel "constrained" only demonstrates your common ancestry with slugs and buttworms.

If you were capable of proper articulation, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#113creep50Posted 11/16/2012 2:23:57 PM
shootsmack posted...

and its funny that you mention that 创 games were played for different reasons and people had different expectations创

since you where the one that originally said that people that play gta for free roaming have 创low IQ创

It doesn't matter how popular something is. The games were available. This fact alone invalidates several of your previous generalizations. And everyone can free roam in GTA. Playing the story is also free-roaming. Ignoring the story because it "bores you" or makes you feel "constrained" only demonstrates your common ancestry with slugs and buttworms.

If you were capable of proper articulation, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

i wasnt questioning if it existed or not just the fact that most gamers did not play them much......most of them did play mario however and that game didnt have much of a story (stop bowser)...and i never said that the story bored me or made me feel constrained just that it was not the main thing i play gta for

it is funny tho how you are trying to compare dificulty in older games to the story in never games....but that makes you feel smart than good for you
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#114DarkLordMorsulPosted 11/16/2012 2:29:01 PM
goldw posted...
goldw posted...
Well, if you change a game too much, you may mess up. Ninja Gaiden III is a good example.

Major gameplay changes should wait until something is broken and is needed to be changed.

see this is where I tend to disagree without changing gameplay in fairly substantial ways you're just releasing clones of previous games which for certain company's makes them money but don't you think we should demand better than that?

Sure it's risky but I'd rather follow a developer down a different road than to keep giving them money for a reskinned old game.

This is where I start to think you don't understand game development.

Game development is absurdly expensive. It is insane to believe that a publisher would increase fund on a project on a game, promoting radical gameplay shifts, if it is not needed. Not only is that expensive, it's time exhausting.

When I watched the Ratchet and Clank developer's playthrough, they talked about how expensive things we take for granted, like audience models and the HUD, were. They talked about how, even though the game wasn't being changed that radically from the older ones, how insanely unstable the game was, just weeks from release. They talked about the sheer multitude of hours, they put into the game, ironing out bugs, and other problems.

Today's market is over saturated by sequels, but this is to be expected. New IPs are just not a safe investment today, seeing how stupidly expensive game development is. Radical changes, especially with games with successful formulas, are not smart uses of money.

I'm not saying build an entire new engine or anything like that

look at III>VC businesses helicopters longer story speeking protag.
then VC>SA jets ariliners bigger streaming map customization(While I'm on record for not being awed by these they are there and pretty substantial boosts from previous instalments)

Those are what I mean always try to make your game better.

I feel games Like CoD just pump out reskinned clones and somehow people suck it up every time.

Now Sports games have to by definition have some leeway as they're based on fairly static games the names of the players change but that's about it. where I understand some newer versions had franchise mode which sounded interesting.
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#115shootsmackPosted 11/16/2012 2:40:11 PM
creep50 posted...
shootsmack posted...

i wasnt questioning if it existed or not just the fact that most gamers did not play them much......most of them did play mario however and that game didnt have much of a story (stop bowser)...and i never said that the story bored me or made me feel constrained just that it was not the main thing i play gta for

it is funny tho how you are trying to compare dificulty in older games to the story in never games....but that makes you feel smart than good for you

The problem here is that you have trouble articulating your thoughts and ideas but also do not want to "let me win" so you are spinning in circles, chasing your ass.
You do not even understand what I am saying, so tell yourself I am pious or delusional.

What you are experiencing is the communication range. We are worlds apart.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#116creep50Posted 11/16/2012 2:51:20 PM
shootsmack posted...
creep50 posted...
shootsmack posted...

The problem here is that you have trouble articulating your thoughts and ideas but also do not want to "let me win" so you are spinning in circles, chasing your ass.
You do not even understand what I am saying, so tell yourself I am pious or delusional.

i see i am chasing your ass??? you are calling people that dont play games for story stupid...and yet when i mention games in the 80磗 (sure nes games) you completely chance your argument

i just dont chance my view in the middle of the discussion and still pretend that the argument is relevant
---
#117DarkLordMorsulPosted 11/16/2012 2:55:32 PM
creep50 posted...
shootsmack posted...
creep50 posted...
shootsmack posted...

i see i am chasing your ass??? you are calling people that dont play games for story stupid...and yet when i mention games in the 80磗 (sure nes games) you completely chance your argument

i just dont chance my view in the middle of the discussion and still pretend that the argument is relevant

I understand your argument compltely this isn't a disagreement but for the love of god. The word is CHANGE CHAN "G" E not chanCe.

sorry it's been making me crazy.
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#118creep50Posted 11/16/2012 3:00:48 PM

I understand your argument compltely this isn't a disagreement but for the love of god. The word is CHANGE CHAN "G" E not chanCe.

sorry it's been making me crazy.

sorry

English= 2nd language..... but i will keep that in mind

just dont go crazy if i forget at some point
---
#119DruffPosted 11/16/2012 3:02:41 PM
creep50 posted...

If you insist on this "80s games" analogy, the situation we're talking about would be more like some kid in 1986 playing Super Mario Bros., but instead of trying to reach the end of every level and jump on the flag pole, he just goes around jumping on random objects for no reason. He's not achieving anything by it, he just finds it to be more fun than finishing the levels. He's free to play the game however he wants. But he's still a stupid moron.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#120Astro_Zombie19Posted 11/16/2012 3:03:18 PM
murdering your fathers muderer in red dead redemption one of the most satisfying missons in that game and you only kill 1 guy with out story i wouldnt have cared at all