Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#161Pirate_DuckPosted 11/19/2012 7:24:27 PM
creep50 posted...
dadkwashere posted...
I loved every games story. From Vice city's scarface theme to san andreas gangsta style to 4's real depiction of a life of crime, it gives the world feeling. If there was no story then there wouldn't be a sense of direction or purpose, just aimlessly wandering around figuring out what you can and can't do. Of course, thats just me. Do what you will.

then what do you do after the story???

Generally, I **** around a lot, and then either play a different game, or start the story again.

Also, I usually try NOT to finish all the missions so that when I do get bored of just messing around I have something concrete to go back to. It is fun just messing around for no reason, but without a story to anchor the mindless fun in the games just end up feeling like a waste of time.
---
Dayman! aaaAAAaaa Fighter of the Nightman! aaaAAAaaa Champion of the Sun! aaaAAAaaa His a master of karate and friendship for everyone!
#162Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 11:18:53 PM
so are you guys just not stimulated by the opportunity for creativity? or are you just too stubborn to admit that you play the story for only a fraction of the time you put into the game?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#163zeppelincheetahPosted 11/20/2012 11:34:34 PM
I buy it 50% for missions/story, 50% to get 100% and to just **** around.

GTA IV was quite a disappointment in the former. I love missions, they give the player something constructive to do, and a lot of times the story and characters are enjoyable as well.
---
if you wouldn't mind i would like to lose
~ c h e e t a h ~
#164DanseMacabreOGPosted 11/20/2012 11:46:52 PM
or are you just too stubborn to admit that you play the story for only a fraction of the time you put into the game?

Ha I redo the missions all the time. Some of us are stimulated by movie and story qualities to games. If I could have MORE missions, that's what I would ask for.
#165SamuariLegend24Posted 11/21/2012 10:23:53 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
so are you guys just not stimulated by the opportunity for creativity? or are you just too stubborn to admit that you play the story for only a fraction of the time you put into the game?

I have played through GTA IV more than 100 times. No, TC you are an idiot. You're the mindless spawns who game developers cater towards now. GTA has always, since the top downs had great story. It is in fact 100% of what draws me in to GTA. Without a story I wouldn't play it for more than 3 minutes. It gets boring stupidly fast when all I am doing is dropping SWAT teams, heli's and countless cars of cops all on my lonesome. I find the missions to be the best part.
---
i don't need to stick my head up a cows ass to know that it stinks in there - blutoblutarskyX
#166FoxMakinWafflesPosted 11/21/2012 11:14:23 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
so are you guys just not stimulated by the opportunity for creativity?

What the hell are you talking about? Running around an open world and being limited to certain actions like driving cars and shooting guns is an opportunity for creativity?
---
Opinions on users change rapidly as their power-levels are exposed. -Ressechu
#167Chagen46Posted 11/21/2012 12:59:02 PM
Personally, the story is one of my favorite parts of the games. I love faffing about, but without a central narrative tying it together it feels empty/vapid.
#168DruffPosted 11/21/2012 1:16:19 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Yes, I am. Which is why I'm not interested in pointless, mindless wankery like dicking around in GTA for no reason.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#169Chagen46Posted 11/21/2012 1:27:25 PM
Druff posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Yes, I am. Which is why I'm not interested in pointless, mindless w***ery like dicking around in GTA for no reason.

Hey, now. Faffing about once you beat the story is quite fun.
#170DruffPosted 11/21/2012 3:25:03 PM
Chagen46 posted...
Druff posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Yes, I am. Which is why I'm not interested in pointless, mindless w***ery like dicking around in GTA for no reason.

Hey, now. Faffing about once you beat the story is quite fun.

I've tried it, I get bored with it after just a few minutes. I might look for "side quests" I missed for a bit. Generally, if I want to keep playing, I just start over. I know a lot of people see no point in replaying a game they've already finished. I do it all the time, got into the habit 20 years ago when I finished Super Mario World 100% but wanted to keep playing. There was literally nothing to do except start over. I 100%-ed SMW god only knows how many times. Ever since then, if I like a game, I replay it.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four