Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#171Chagen46Posted 11/21/2012 5:26:23 PM
To each his own I guess.

I think I'll try that when I beat this game's story. I didn't re-play IV's story because...well, honestly, it's depressing as hell. It's like some indie films: Amazing the first time, but so draining you don't want to do it again.
#172Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 10:56:31 PM
FoxMakinWaffles posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
so are you guys just not stimulated by the opportunity for creativity?

What the hell are you talking about? Running around an open world and being limited to certain actions like driving cars and shooting guns is an opportunity for creativity?

you dont see the possibilities??? Like setting up multiple ramp trucks and trying to collide with a buddy head on in mid air?

Like i said earlier me and about 5 other friends setup a ramp truck next to a HUGE drop off in IV and then i got in a helicopter and they kept stealing motorcycles and trying to ramp over the spinning blades! that was a BLAST!!! we did that for hours on end....NTM all the helicopter jousting we did! lol, good times
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#173master_gamr1231Posted 11/23/2012 11:01:30 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

What the hell are you talking about? Running around an open world and being limited to certain actions like driving cars and shooting guns is an opportunity for creativity?

you dont see the possibilities??? Like setting up multiple ramp trucks and trying to collide with a buddy head on in mid air?

Like i said earlier me and about 5 other friends setup a ramp truck next to a HUGE drop off in IV and then i got in a helicopter and they kept stealing motorcycles and trying to ramp over the spinning blades! that was a BLAST!!! we did that for hours on end....NTM all the helicopter jousting we did! lol, good times

It seems like your argument is not so much a statement about the game's open world but more like a statement about multiplayer. If GTA IV had no multiplayer, would you have thought the same about its creative potential?
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#174avenue20Posted 11/24/2012 12:40:30 AM
if its me:
Gameplay > Variety of mission > Story
#175thedeparted94Posted 11/24/2012 1:20:30 AM
Like somebody said, If it was just a playground where you go around blowing things up for the sake of it, the game would be pretty hollow and not one of the highest rated franchises
---
<PSN> britz02
#176RossardPosted 11/24/2012 2:15:37 AM
The main storyline missions are without a doubt the main reason I enjoy Rockstar's games.

It's why stuff like Saints Row and Just Cause is so bad. I have fun flying around and blowing stuff up for about 20 minutes, but pretty soon I'm anxious to jump into the story.

Yet when I do, it's godawful (and in the case of Saints Row, completely unfunny). I'm thankful that R* actually puts a lot of effort into it. Not something you can say about these other open-world series.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/LeftCoastRyda/
#177Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 6:20:50 AM
master_gamr1231 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

It seems like your argument is not so much a statement about the game's open world but more like a statement about multiplayer. If GTA IV had no multiplayer, would you have thought the same about its creative potential?

yes, i spent hundreds hours doing the same things in 3! Ive literally spent dozens of hours just manuevering around in a helicopter trying to skim the landing "poles," i dont know what you call them, on the sides of buildings so they ski across the windows
---
#178DiamondCutterV2Posted 11/24/2012 7:04:56 AM
Look at Just Cause 2, very fun game but has no story whatsoever get's boring very quickly. Saint's Row the Third, kinda fun game horrible story very very boring. Rockstar games, fun gameplay great story never boring. If it wasn't for the story some people wouldn't care at all how fun the game is, I'm one of those people. Just looking at LPs of GTA 3, VC, and SA makes me respect the effort Rockstar puts into their story.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKekcHMiVVg "Your gonna feel the bang!"-DDP
#179Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 1:51:11 PM
DiamondCutterV2 posted...
Look at Just Cause 2, very fun game but has no story whatsoever get's boring very quickly. Saint's Row the Third, kinda fun game horrible story very very boring. Rockstar games, fun gameplay great story never boring. If it wasn't for the story some people wouldn't care at all how fun the game is, I'm one of those people. Just looking at LPs of GTA 3, VC, and SA makes me respect the effort Rockstar puts into their story.

problem with your analogies is that both those games you named have worse gameplay than GTA...THAT is what separates GTA from other sandbox games
---
#180zombieNarutoPosted 11/25/2012 12:59:53 AM
This topic is still going? Weird. We all know TC is an idiot, so lets just let it die already.
---
I r Ninja. I eat brains.
NOO! I DON'T WANNA EAT A GUITAR!!