Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#21Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:14:08 PM
@shootsmack

Nevers!!!!
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#22shootsmackPosted 11/15/2012 2:14:43 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
HoosierGuy88 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
apparently no narrative means the game sucks in your guy's minds....

Yes, yes it does.

so was mario just a chore for you to play?

Nintendo has not had a good game release since Galaxy 2.

And you know what Galaxy 2 had?

Narrative.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#23HoosierGuy88Posted 11/15/2012 2:16:46 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
HoosierGuy88 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Yes, yes it does.

You mean the original Super Mario Bros? That's not an open world game, it features levels, the whole point of that game is to make your way through the different worlds. That WAS the story, just in a different form.
#24Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:17:44 PM
wwervin posted

I agree with this. The added element of structured gameplay gives you something extra to do. It puts you in situations that lead to interesting and fun gameplay. Without it, you're literally just wandering around aimlessly.

Also, to reiterate what I said earlier about giving your character a face and a name, it makes the world feel alive. Yes, you do need a purpose in this game. It adds a level of immersion which you don't have otherwise. This is exactly why I think SR3 was such a terrible game. The story sucked and the game itself was very hollow and pointless. They spent so much effort trying to make everything whacky and over the top that they ignored the basics. They created a world that was tolerable to be in for about an hour or so before it got boring and stupid. They showed exactly why they can't compete with GTA. I would rather GTA stick to what makes GTA best.

No, YOU need that...im perfectly content with the addicting gameplay and sheer amount of random things you can do in these games! You're talking to a guy who used to spend hours running around with that cult following me in GTA 1 or 2. You guys remember the guys in orange who all followed each other until you bumped into the leader, then they followed you? I used to drag them around for hours just finding ways to kill them...electrocution on the train tracks was the best!!!
---
#25shootsmackPosted 11/15/2012 2:19:01 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
wwervin posted

I agree with this. The added element of structured gameplay gives you something extra to do. It puts you in situations that lead to interesting and fun gameplay. Without it, you're literally just wandering around aimlessly.

Also, to reiterate what I said earlier about giving your character a face and a name, it makes the world feel alive. Yes, you do need a purpose in this game. It adds a level of immersion which you don't have otherwise. This is exactly why I think SR3 was such a terrible game. The story sucked and the game itself was very hollow and pointless. They spent so much effort trying to make everything whacky and over the top that they ignored the basics. They created a world that was tolerable to be in for about an hour or so before it got boring and stupid. They showed exactly why they can't compete with GTA. I would rather GTA stick to what makes GTA best.

No, YOU need that...im perfectly content with the addicting gameplay and sheer amount of random things you can do in these games! You're talking to a guy who used to spend hours running around with that cult following me in GTA 1 or 2. You guys remember the guys in orange who all followed each other until you bumped into the leader, then they followed you? I used to drag them around for hours just finding ways to kill them...electrocution on the train tracks was the best!!!

Gouranga.

If you kill them all at once it says GOURANGA on the screen and you get a huge point bonus.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#26DruffPosted 11/15/2012 2:22:21 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#27sal9e3sPosted 11/15/2012 2:24:31 PM
TC, I agree. I couldn't give two ****s about the story.
---
GT - Super Drunk Guy
#28Mentalpatient87Posted 11/15/2012 2:25:22 PM
Mercenaries, Crackdown, Just Cause 2.

Three games that eschewed story for open world freedom, each one of them turning out to be a forgettable, hollow shell for it.
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#29shootsmackPosted 11/15/2012 2:25:40 PM
Druff posted...
I don't think there's any denying that the vast majority of the GTA fanbase is a bunch of lowbrow tards who don't give two f***s about the story or the missions and all they care about is cheat codes and mindless havok. Which is why I've never really felt like a part of the GTA fanbase. I've always felt like a weird anomaly.

You are not alone. I am a GTA connoisseur.
---
#30Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 2:27:10 PM
shootsmack posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
HoosierGuy88 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Yes, yes it does.

Nintendo has not had a good game release since Galaxy 2.

And you know what Galaxy 2 had?

Narrative.

super mario world didnt have much of a narrative....still a fantastic and fun game
---