Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#31shootsmackPosted 11/15/2012 2:28:08 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
shootsmack posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
HoosierGuy88 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
apparently no narrative means the game sucks in your guy's minds....

Yes, yes it does.

so was mario just a chore for you to play?

Nintendo has not had a good game release since Galaxy 2.

And you know what Galaxy 2 had?

Narrative.

super mario world didnt have much of a narrative....still a fantastic and fun game

And Mario RPG had a fantastic narrative and remains a joy to replay to this day.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#32Mentalpatient87Posted 11/15/2012 2:29:31 PM(edited)
Sniper_Brosef posted...
super mario world didnt have much of a narrative....still a fantastic and fun game

Super Mario World came out in 1991 on an 8-bit console. If you haven't noticed, it's been more than twenty years and technology has gotten much better since then..
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#33DruffPosted 11/15/2012 2:30:50 PM
shootsmack posted...
Druff posted...
I don't think there's any denying that the vast majority of the GTA fanbase is a bunch of lowbrow tards who don't give two f***s about the story or the missions and all they care about is cheat codes and mindless havok. Which is why I've never really felt like a part of the GTA fanbase. I've always felt like a weird anomaly.

You are not alone. I am a GTA connoisseur.

Oh, I know. But of the 50 million combined copies of GTA IV and San Andreas that have been sold, I'll bet like 5% of them have been played to completion. Maybe less.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#34HoosierGuy88Posted 11/15/2012 2:32:47 PM
GTA without a story would be like an action movie without a story. Action movies have character progression and a story arc. They aren't just a bunch of random people dying and explosions, well maybe Michael Bay's films are but he's the exception to the rule.
#35thedeparted94Posted 11/15/2012 2:33:55 PM
HoosierGuy88 posted...
GTA without a story would be like an action movie without a story. Action movies have character progression and a story arc. They aren't just a bunch of random people dying and explosions, well maybe Michael Bay's films are but he's the exception to the rule.

no GTA and a few smart action films are the exception
---
<PSN> britz02
#36creep50Posted 11/15/2012 2:35:10 PM
Mentalpatient87 posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Super Mario World came out in 1991 on an 8-bit console. If you haven't noticed, it's been more than twenty years and technology has gotten much better since then..

i cant believe this board sometimes i wonder what the average age is and if they have ever played games like mario 64......to answer TC question NO i dont play these games for the story....the story and missions dont hurt..but what i spent most time doing is just messing around

san andreas is still my favorite and that story was far from being a masterpiece (i am not a fan of this ganzta thing)
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#37HoosierGuy88Posted 11/15/2012 2:36:46 PM
thedeparted94 posted...
no GTA and a few smart action films are the exception

Well, what I'm saying is, the story in GTA games is very much like a good action movie. You wouldn't pay to see a movie where just random stuff happens with no plot.
#38shootsmackPosted 11/15/2012 2:39:34 PM
Druff posted...
shootsmack posted...
Druff posted...
I don't think there's any denying that the vast majority of the GTA fanbase is a bunch of lowbrow tards who don't give two f***s about the story or the missions and all they care about is cheat codes and mindless havok. Which is why I've never really felt like a part of the GTA fanbase. I've always felt like a weird anomaly.

You are not alone. I am a GTA connoisseur.

Oh, I know. But of the 50 million combined copies of GTA IV and San Andreas that have been sold, I'll bet like 5% of them have been played to completion. Maybe less.

You may be right. My closest gamer buddy and I were playing San Andreas for a sec last night, chatting about GTA V, and in less than 10 minutes I did 4 or 5 things he had never heard about despite having "played the game forever." I was pretty surprised.

The AT-400, for example, is certainly not common knowledge.

But I believe wholeheartedly that the most overlooked feature in GTA history is San Andreas' "personality" system. People simply do not know the feature exists. To be fair, the feature is only mentioned in the instruction manual, and possibly deep in the in-game controls menu.

People do not realize that pedestrians are speaking to, and usually insulting you in the street and that you have the option of responding positively or negatively using the D-Pad.

They also do not realize that your personality changes over the course of the game the more you do this. Either you become overly nice and basically "agree to disagree", or you become callous and threatening.

This can also be likened to how "ghetto" you are since none of the positive responses are very ebonic, whereas the negative ones become increasingly gutter.

I find this interaction an integral part of the experience and characterization of Carl, since you can shape him into a saint or a curmudgeon.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#39shadyelfPosted 11/15/2012 2:46:45 PM
I'm not sure where I stand on GTA and story. It's not why primarily I play the game but it does give context for some things. Though once I'm free roaming I make up all sorts of backstories for characters in my head, usually that they're employed for some intelligence agency or the other. I just don't find playing petty criminals that compelling, even if they're capable of infiltrating top secret military bases and outmatching French counter terrorist teams.

But Michael seems really compelling to me in that he's not an enforcer thug or a two-bit gangster from the hood but a bank robber which is higher up on the tier list so maybe I'll enjoy the story more with him as a character.
---
?
#40SherlockHomeyPosted 11/15/2012 2:53:26 PM
I can't believe this guy just compared GTA to Super Mario.

lol