Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#41Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 4:04:12 PM
SherlockHomey posted...
I can't believe this guy just compared GTA to Super Mario.

lol

I can't believe your reading comprehension is so terrible that you think I compared the two.

lol
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#42PhaseknoxPosted 11/15/2012 4:05:21 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I mean seriously... who buys these for the story?!? Everyone just wants to drive/fly/parachute/etc while getting those wanted stars!!! am i right?

That might be true for some, but not for me. While I sometimes enjoy just messing around in the game worlds of open world games, I primarily play them for the missions - story missions and side missions. I need there to be a purpose and a reason for why I'm doing the things that I do in games, otherwise I lose interest in them. Gameplay alone and nothing else won't keep me playing a game to its end, because I need there to be something to keep driving me forward in them. I like there to be stories and characters in games that I care about and get invested into, because it makes them a lot more engrossing, entertaining and meanigful to me.
#43wwervinPosted 11/15/2012 4:10:33 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
SherlockHomey posted...

lol

I can't believe your reading comprehension is so terrible that you think I compared the two.

lol

You compared the games in terms of gameplay without story. That doesn't really match up because:

1. Super Mario had a story, no matter how weak it was. You were doing what you were doing for a purpose.

and

2. Video games have come a long way since then. Back then games were simple and devoid of any real structure or story elements. They were more about gameplay. Video games today are an artform and more in line with other media entertainment such as films or television. It would be like watching a movie with no plot whatsoever, just a random guy killing random people. What's the point? I don't find any value there.

Again, feel free to play the games however you want to. You don't have to play the story at all. The problem I have with your topic is that you can't seem to comprehend why it's needed and why others want a story.
#44gamefreek4444Posted 11/15/2012 4:12:54 PM
See, there's a fine line between too much story, and not enough. Just cause 2 is an example of not enough. Fantastic sandbox, but leaves you wanting an engrossing story, or at least some decent character development.

Then there's too much story. I was not a fan of the first or second assassins creed games (hate me, I don't care), because once the story was over, and all of the side missions were completed, there was nothing more I wanted to do with the game. The collectibles reaped no reward, and there was nothing I could do that hadn't already been done in a mission. Both have been collecting dust since I completed them.

In my opinion, grand theft auto has always been the fine line between those two examples. Great sandbox, and an engrossing story is there for you as well. Vice city, San Andreas, IV, you name it.
#45creep50Posted 11/15/2012 4:19:02 PM
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
SherlockHomey posted...

lol

lol

You compared the games in terms of gameplay without story. That doesn't really match up because:

1. Super Mario had a story, no matter how weak it was. You were doing what you were doing for a purpose.

and

2. Video games have come a long way since then. Back then games were simple and devoid of any real structure or story elements. They were more about gameplay. Video games today are an artform and more in line with other media entertainment such as films or television. It would be like watching a movie with no plot whatsoever, just a random guy killing random people. What's the point? I don't find any value there.

Again, feel free to play the games however you want to. You don't have to play the story at all. The problem I have with your topic is that you can't seem to comprehend why it's needed and why others want a story.

games have always and should always be about the gameplay....that is the reason why they exist....mario galaxy did not have much more story than mario 3...and that game was great
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#46Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 4:26:44 PM
I absolutely did NOT compare mario to GTA. I merely used mario as an example of a great game with essentially no story. Big difference guys!
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#47Mentalpatient87Posted 11/15/2012 4:28:39 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I absolutely did NOT compare mario to GTA. I merely used mario as an example of a great game with essentially no story. Big difference guys!

Well, as long as you can clamp down and say "nuh-uh!" you must be right, right?
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#48creep50Posted 11/15/2012 4:33:58 PM(edited)
Sniper_Brosef posted...

i pretty much agree with this...

this whole topic pretty much shows why i like classic games more...i like games that are centered around gameplay....those game actually made you think at some points....
but i guess thats not the point here

---San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#49DruffPosted 11/15/2012 4:43:22 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...

Don't worry about it dude. Lots of people are just too stupid to understand that you can make an analogy between two similar things without making a direct comparison of them.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#50nativenginePosted 11/15/2012 4:48:37 PM
Because they have a story to tell, with a great game to go with it. A lot of games nowadays do better then major Hollywood movies. A game that has a great setting, with a solid story and fun game mechanics is almost always a winner. Perfect examples are Halo, Assassins Creed, GTA, Mass Effect and Legend of Zelda. It's perfectly fine to enjoy a game strictly based on mindless fun. F*** I love playing Tetris and Angry Bird sometimes.
---
Vegetarian- an old Indian word meaning bad hunter
"Anderson should face two people next time, he's that good"