Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#51MaximoomPosted 11/15/2012 5:06:57 PM
GTA 3, vice city, san andreas, 4 and its expansions. All them had a very decent story.
#52Pr3dat0r23Posted 11/15/2012 5:07:44 PM
No

I buy it for the story. Have you played SA? The story was epic. I couldn't have seen myself replaying it over and over and over if it was not for the story.
---
its only a matter of time before a cop runs over a bunch of pedestrians and unloads a hundred rounds
into a suspect then blames his actions on playing GTA.
#53Mojoseph_47Posted 11/15/2012 5:26:26 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I mean seriously... who buys these for the story?!? Everyone just wants to drive/fly/parachute/etc while getting those wanted stars!!! am i right?

I loved the story in GTA 4, it just added something that mindless game play couldn't
---
I am a spy among the living, so that I may deliver men to death.-?
#54afrodude77Posted 11/15/2012 5:29:30 PM
I enjoy both the mindless rampages and stories in Gta
---
We are the Lin Kuei, more stealthy than the night, more deadly than the dawn!
---
#55zombieNarutoPosted 11/15/2012 5:41:22 PM
If every game ever made had no story, how long do you think they would last gameplay-wise? Exactly, not long at all. Games need structure, and that's what the story does. Take it away and you're just left with a scrap heap of features that will get boring after 2 hours, tops.
---
I r Ninja. I eat brains.
NOO! I DON'T WANNA EAT A GUITAR!!
#56iedahGPosted 11/15/2012 5:41:43 PM
TC cant be serious.

I do agree that the stories in GTA games are kind of weak when it comes to story and characters but they would be pointless with out them.

Just screw around and ignore it.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."
#57AldathPosted 11/15/2012 5:45:10 PM
I kinda agree with this guy.

I mean, you ALLWAYS know what to expect from a GTA story... some guy is with Mafia/drug dealers/other criminal organization, and gets in trouble/wants revenge. He kills people, he blows stuff up, gets the Mafia guy, or becomes the mafia leader himself... THE END.

The day I see a GTA story that actually teaches me something good or gets out of their ussual cliché I'm gonna be very excited...

I mean, monkeys write the storyboard, it's gameplay what attracts many gamers to this game, even if they deny it.
---
"imagine if Metallica got together with the Power Rangers and the coolest kids in school and had a party in your mouth, and you were invited" THE_WIND
#58Ertrick36Posted 11/15/2012 5:46:11 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
are you guys honestly trying to tell me that you spend more time doing the story then you do free roaming/experimenting/messing around?

Okay, this is a logical fallacy. You first said tha most everyone just wants to f*** around on the game on multiplayer/freeroam. Now you are making the connection that just because a lot of gamers do this sort of thing more often than play the story mode. Yes, these games do have a lot more to do outside of the main storyline. And yes, there are quite a few gamers that utilize these activities. Does that mean that we all enjoy these things more than the story? Absolutely not. Maybe the combination of all the things you can do outside of the main storyline could be more fun than the storyline itself for some people, but the story is still largely enjoyed by a lot of people. Not only are the storylines of GTA longer than those of, say, Call of Duty (yes, they are longer, don't deny it), they are also very much in depth and have a lot of meaning to them. Sure, there are people like yourself who don't give a f*** about story, and I pity you for that; but there are so many people who love games like Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto 4 because they have probably some of the best storylines we've seen in modern storymaking (especially for games). Plus, if we didn't have the great storylines of the later Grand Theft Auto games, Grand Theft Auto might not have become as successful as it is. If anything, feel grateful that there's an option to have a story at all. If not that, at least be thankful that the stories of the Grand Theft Auto games have made it so successful that Rockstar games could make such a damn good game, instead of just another piece of junk. Video games are monuments of art and creativity, and without these aspects of meaning, creativity, and thoughtfulness, groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving could very easily have it torn down for all the violence, substance abuse, and promiscuity that these political interest groups say the game promotes. Trust me when I say that without story, we wouldn't have games (at least for very much longer).
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#59Ertrick36Posted 11/15/2012 5:52:24 PM
Pr3dat0r23 posted...
No

I buy it for the story. Have you played SA? The story was epic. I couldn't have seen myself replaying it over and over and over if it was not for the story.

One of the big reasons why GTA 5 is going to be set in San Andreas right here. Everyone who's a fan of the series and played GTA San Andreas loved it for the most part. Everyone wants a return to San Andreas (a lot of people also wanted to see Carl Johnson again, myself included), and so that's what Rockstar is giving. Rockstar is listening to their fans as a whole here, and they see that the fans really loved San Andreas, so they want to bring back that glorious experience. Further proof that not everyone plays the Grand Theft Auto games for more than to just blow up s*** and commit deliberate homicides without repercussions of the real world.
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#60UndietakerPosted 11/15/2012 6:25:04 PM
The characters within the GTA series story lines are what took it from great games to legendary status.
The story as a whole may be abit playout and cliche but the characters that drive it are always brilliant.