Why do these games even bother with the story?!?

#61DelkuraPosted 11/15/2012 6:38:01 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I mean seriously... who buys these for the story?!? Everyone just wants to drive/fly/parachute/etc while getting those wanted stars!!! am i right?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/436/263/55a.png
#62Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2012 6:52:49 PM
Delkura posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
I mean seriously... who buys these for the story?!? Everyone just wants to drive/fly/parachute/etc while getting those wanted stars!!! am i right?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/436/263/55a.png

thats kind of like a hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil kind of thing...
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#63DruffPosted 11/15/2012 6:59:11 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
are you guys honestly trying to tell me that you spend more time doing the story then you do free roaming/experimenting/messing around?

Absolutely. Basically the only time I "mess around" is when I've been playing for hours, it's late and time to go beddy-byes, so I make my final "real" save for the night, and then if I feel like it I might spend 15-30 minutes just screwing around doing whatever before actually powering off.. I dunno man, I find that stuff to be really boring. Generally I prefer to be working towards a goal of some kind as I play. I've never ever been able to relate to the majority of GTA fans who tend to ignore the missions in favor of just doing whatever. No offense but I have always thought of them like the people of the future in Idiocracy. If you think it's fun to just randomly wander around and blow stuff up for no reason, hey, more power to ya. To me it's a stupid waste of time.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#64Dalton Of ZealPosted 11/15/2012 7:01:36 PM
LordPoncho posted...
To be totally honest, if there was no narrative or structure, I think GTA would dull out fast.

I couldn't agree with you more.

The narrative was the main thing that kept me going through GTA and GTA2 back in the day, as primitive as it was at the time.

The more immersive the games get in terms of story and atmosphere, the more I'm hopelessly drawn in and unable to escape.
#65AgentX7kPosted 11/15/2012 7:27:56 PM
I don't buy it for the story but it doesn't hurt, they should still bother with it.
#66doraemonllh1989Posted 11/15/2012 7:37:34 PM
erm i play gta games,part of it because of the story:S
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#67KidInTheHallPosted 11/15/2012 7:41:51 PM
Story has always been good and interesting to me in the GTA games but I do mainly buy them for the freedom and exploration of messing around.
---
RIP - Babygirl 11/2002- 4/24/2012
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#68shionxx12Posted 11/15/2012 8:18:57 PM(edited)
wwervin posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...

I bet you're one of those people that buy the new Call of Dutys each year and jump straight to the multiplayer and don't ever touch the campaign. You're a fool and you don't even know what you're missing out on. Not having a story makes everything hollow and lifeless. What's the purpose of even giving these characters a face or a name if you're not even interested in their story? What's the purpose of even existing in this virtual world?

I hope no company ever takes your advice. We need games to evolve and go forward. Rockstar is one of the best companies when it comes to that.

This indeed.

HUGE LOL @ Sniper_Brosef Whats you speak of is the totally pointless stuff.

You can say whatever about rockstar, but if someones that put so much work in the story and characters in the western gaming world, its ROCKSTAR.

Likewise I ask you, whats the damn point about killing pedestrians, getting wanted stars, driving, etc aimlessly without an objective?

Totally shallow pointless stuff.

I bet this guy is a hardcore FPS fan....

Druff posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
are you guys honestly trying to tell me that you spend more time doing the story then you do free roaming/experimenting/messing around?

If you think it's fun to just randomly wander around and blow stuff up for no reason, hey, more power to ya. To me it's a stupid waste of time.

This in a nutshell.
#69alastor_91Posted 11/15/2012 8:29:58 PM
All you had to do was keep your damn mouth shut, TC.
---
I ran into a group of men trying to take an old lady's purse and decided it was my duty to help out. She was a tough old broad, but in the end we got her purse.
#70KidInTheHallPosted 11/15/2012 8:32:43 PM
^ lol.
---
RIP - Babygirl 11/2002- 4/24/2012
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750