Saints Row 4 might give this game a run for its money...

#41goldwPosted 11/16/2012 12:27:28 PM
Okikurmi posted...
GTA VC, GTA SA, SR2 SR3 are all better than GTA4.

I'm not getting my hopes up for GTA5 just yet.

I agree GTA4 was all graphics. It became a bore real quickly. People spout realism but there is nothing real about having a shoot out with cops then driving X amount of miles to safety. Nico is the worst main character ever. Just a blood thirsty punk with a terrible cousin in a terrible city.

People need to wake up and realize it. When they do then our nation's IQ will rise back up.

Now let the haters disagree.

Even though none of this is true, let me humor you for a bit.

In the Saint's Row games, you play as a sociopath. A violent thug, blood thirsty, and pretty motiveless, besides him wanting to get to the top. It's not a terribly original, nor interesting story, but it's what Saint's Row is.

In Vice City, you play as a Sociopath, who wants to be on top. It's not an original, nor interesting story, yet Rockstar brings you in, with clever writing, and great scenes.

In San Andreas, you play as a common thug, who goes on a statewide journey, motiveless, and ends the game, a hero. It is remembered for it's clever writing, and great scenes. Another one of Rockstar's masterpieces, even if it is a little too out there, in my humble opinion.

GTA IV goes through three separate, but intervened stories, and sucks you in, with clever writing, and great scenes. It presents the world in a cynical life, but it works, because life has a cynical bias.

RDR goes through the life of a outlaw, trying to escape the life. It sucks you in, with clever writing, and great scenes. Again, RDR favors cynics, but, of course, cynical bias.

Rockstar is one of the few developers that, on the regular basis, creates art. Even when GTA was just seen as some thuggish, random melody of violence, sex, and drugs, it was still art. Rockstar holds themselves to a higher standard than any other developer, and they constantly raise the bar.

Just because you can't comprehend it, doesn't mean it's all graphics. The sheer level of detail the city, world, and characters held is astounding.
---
The Elbow of Peace shall cast judgement on the guilty
#42Gamer_X27Posted 11/16/2012 12:29:34 PM
Saints Row 4 might give this game a run for its money...

I may have actually thought this if it wasn't for two things, the first being all the information so far showing that Rockstar isn't making the same mistakes they made with IV, and the second being Saint's Row The Third.
---
Loss of focus and loss of balance leads to loss of life - Dragon's Dogma
#43goldwPosted 11/16/2012 12:35:23 PM
The thing with realism is it ISNT FUN. I played through the storys of GTA3, VC and SA multiple times. I couldnt get though GTA4 once.

I got the feeling AC3 tried going for the realism aproach like rockstar, hunting, crafting, gathering items and all that. Was really uninteresting.

GTA5 may well be the best game of all time, i don't know yet. But after playing GTA4 i am not going to get excited over a trailer filled with cut scenes.

First of all, GTA IV isn't realistic. It's cynical. It looks at the world in a more bleak view, and it appears realistic. A realistic GTA game would have you committing one, or two murders, burying the bodies, and paying off the police and judges. GTA still has large shootouts, an incredibly incompetent police force, and ignored bodies everywhere.

Second, realism can be fun. NBA 2k and MLB: The Show are very realistic games, that are very fun. Forza is a very fun game, and its a very realistic (Of course, it's not the most) racing sim. There is nothing wrong with realism.
---
A child has a 40% chance of surviving if hit by Usain Bolt - S1nharvest
#44Redd_WhitePosted 11/16/2012 12:59:51 PM
In the Saint's Row games, you play as a sociopath. A violent thug, blood thirsty, and pretty motiveless, besides him wanting to get to the top. It's not a terribly original, nor interesting story, but it's what Saint's Row is.

Well yeah, that's the core idea behind the story, but there's much more to the plot than that. I actually prefer the overrall writing in saints row to what Dan Houser does by a LONG shot, and trust me, I entered the series by expecting nothing from its story. Dialogue in saints row is near perfect, very witty but also feels very spontaneous. Voice actors are usually brilliant too, a far cry from GTA 4 where I was constantly scratching my head over how Niko's VA got the job. The pacing is usually great, with quite a few unexpected turns to the story, with some prominent characters turning out to be minor and vice versa.

But above all, I love the antagonists in the SR series. It's kinda hard to explain, but they're all evil, clever, human, believable, multi dimensional and menacing at the same time. There's no child eating rapists, nor douche mob boss that constantly yells for no reason. If anything, the heroes in the series are actually MORE evil than the villains. In the first game, Price doesn't become really agressive toward you until you really push him to the edge. In the second, Maero just wants an alliance between your two gangs, and it's the MC that refuses and starts the war by burning his face. In SR 2 too, Vogel may be a ruthless manipulative man, but you can tell he really means it when he tells Maero "I'm sorry abour your men, I really am". That's the kind of nuance that games written by Houser usually lack. GTA villains are always either dumb, loud, greedy or a mix of all three.
#45NorkenPosted 11/16/2012 1:06:33 PM
goldw posted...
Okikurmi posted...
GTA VC, GTA SA, SR2 SR3 are all better than GTA4.

I'm not getting my hopes up for GTA5 just yet.

I agree GTA4 was all graphics. It became a bore real quickly. People spout realism but there is nothing real about having a shoot out with cops then driving X amount of miles to safety. Nico is the worst main character ever. Just a blood thirsty punk with a terrible cousin in a terrible city.

People need to wake up and realize it. When they do then our nation's IQ will rise back up.

Now let the haters disagree.

Even though none of this is true, let me humor you for a bit.

In Vice City, you play as a Sociopath, who wants to be on top. It's not an original, nor interesting story, yet Rockstar brings you in, with clever writing, and great scenes.

In San Andreas, you play as a common thug, who goes on a statewide journey, motiveless, and ends the game, a hero. It is remembered for it's clever writing, and great scenes. Another one of Rockstar's masterpieces, even if it is a little too out there, in my humble opinion.

GTA IV goes through three separate, but intervened stories, and sucks you in, with clever writing, and great scenes. It presents the world in a cynical life, but it works, because life has a cynical bias.

RDR goes through the life of a outlaw, trying to escape the life. It sucks you in, with clever writing, and great scenes. Again, RDR favors cynics, but, of course, cynical bias.

Rockstar is one of the few developers that, on the regular basis, creates art. Even when GTA was just seen as some thuggish, random melody of violence, sex, and drugs, it was still art. Rockstar holds themselves to a higher standard than any other developer, and they constantly raise the bar.

Just because you can't comprehend it, doesn't mean it's all graphics. The sheer level of detail the city, world, and characters held is astounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
Romans 14:8
#46DamorahTalsetPosted 11/16/2012 1:06:38 PM
Big_Daddy_T posted...
There wont be a saints row 4 lol

It's already confirmed bro.
---
I don't a fondness to Borat. I don't how it did outrageous; haven't they ever interneted? We have Goat's Sea and Celebrating Lemons. - Gandob
#47stokes12Posted 11/16/2012 1:19:00 PM
DamorahTalset posted...
Big_Daddy_T posted...
There wont be a saints row 4 lol

It's already confirmed bro.

I think he was referring to the increasingly commonly held belief that THQ won't survive long enough to release it
#48enterthemadroxPosted 11/16/2012 1:20:26 PM
creep50 posted...
Smokey2186 posted...
Idiot game for idiots was not better than one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. Sorry.

WOW??? i am amazed

Same here.

Put Rockstar's logo on anything and it'll get a perfect score in a lot of places even if the product itself isn't very good.

SR2 and even SRTT were much better than GTA IV.
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#49xM3NTALxPosted 11/16/2012 1:25:59 PM
Until they improve the driving in Saint's Row, GTA will always have my vote. I hate that Crazy Taxi feel it has. Still a fun game, but just saying.
#50iedahGPosted 11/16/2012 1:28:14 PM
It actually could if the developers would get it hrough their thick heads that penis humor (I can say penis no this website right?) and random silliness does not make a game fun especially for people over the age of 11.

The first saints row was crap. Boring story, sloppy gameplay mechanics,

Playing saints row 3 was like watching suckerpunch. It was so stupid its hard to describe it in words. I loved the added soft physics and improved animations but the game got so random and goofy to the point to where it became annoying. The story and missions made it worst. One of the best characters were killed off at the very start in lamest and cliche way possible and the first half of the games missions were activities from saints row 2. Coop was done great but it really dosnt matter when the story sucks.
Its doo doo with M&Ms in it.

Saints row 2 on the other hand was probably one of the best sand box games I played. I preorded GTA4 thinking it was going to be some mind exploding master piece of the next gen but ended up getting buyers remorse instead. I took it to gamestop after getting bored at 80% completion. I then later found saint row 2 for 19$ used and got hooked.

It did some of the things GTA SA did but better.
Customization on multiple levels including dialogue style of the main character, a good amount of vehicle diversity, plenty of activities and side missions, the story didnt take it self too seriously nor was it stupid, it had an ok multiplayer mode, and it had a coop mode that lets your friends custom character join you in everything with the missions and actives adding mechanics so they can function with 2 players.
Best sand box game I played.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."