The main characters should be customizable

#1cuteshamuPosted 11/26/2012 7:24:54 AM
Like if you want the main character male of female with customizable face, hair, etc. That would be awesome!
---
Were you present when your picture was taken?
#2ReDDevil2112Posted 11/26/2012 7:28:53 AM
Play Saints Row.

Create-a-character is nice, but it's nice to have well drawn out characters, too.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!
#3cuteshamu(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 7:33:40 AM
ReDDevil2112 posted...
Play Saints Row.

Create-a-character is nice, but it's nice to have well drawn out characters, too.

Games like SR and Mass Effect have customizable characters that doesn't effect the story in any way. It's an aesthetic feature.
---
Were you present when your picture was taken?
#4Perfect LightPosted 11/26/2012 7:35:52 AM(edited)
As the other guy said, go play Saints Row if you want that. I want structure in my GTA games when it comes to protagonists, well-done characters with fleshed-out stories.

cuteshamu posted...
Games like SR and Mass Effect have customizable characters that doesn't effect the story in any way. It's an aesthetic feature.

You cannot tell me that Shepard is a stronger character than, say, John Marston. Shepard was basically an everyman, you can make him however you want him to be so sometimes the game was a little goofy because you'd be a jerk to everyone one second and then worrying about some random stranger's daughter the next.
---
E . ` ' / . F Your tears fuel me.
#5DarkLordMorsulPosted 11/26/2012 7:43:45 AM
Perfect Light posted...
As the other guy said, go play Saints Row if you want that. I want structure in my GTA games when it comes to protagonists, well-done characters with fleshed-out stories.

cuteshamu posted...

You cannot tell me that Shepard is a stronger character than, say, John Marston. Shepard was basically an everyman, you can make him however you want him to be so sometimes the game was a little goofy because you'd be a jerk to everyone one second and then worrying about some random stranger's daughter the next.

Every character is stronger than Marston. I thought he was dull dull dull. I really didn't like RDR at all.... played poker and horseshoes... yeah I found those more exciting than the story. just my opinion and all that.

But I agree no need to customize the GTA guys like that.
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#6ReDDevil2112Posted 11/26/2012 7:45:09 AM(edited)

^Exactly. And the Saints Row protag is fun because s/he's insane and has some funny lines, but it's not what I'd call a fleshed out character. It just isnt the same thing as, say, CJ or Niko. Characters are important to a story. It's nice to have a character written already. There's a place for custom characters and a place for developed characters. Saints Row fills one niche, GTA fills the other. Why have both do the same thing?
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!
#7CruorComaPosted 11/26/2012 7:53:29 AM(edited)
It simply wouldn't feel right for a GTA title imo. Character customisation is great, no doubt about it, but it doesn't need to be in every game. Particularly when ones appearance tells a story of it's own. I can hardly imagine Trevor, with his "distinct" personality, as a small asian man in a suit.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#8Mentalpatient87Posted 11/26/2012 8:05:51 AM(edited)
cuteshamu posted...

Games like Saints Row and Mass Effect have somewhat decent stories in spite of the customizable characters. If Johnny Gat could shoot and drive, the Boss would be entirely superfluous to the story.* And the universe and over-arching themes in ME are amazing, but they can't write a one-on-one conversation to save their lives. That's because it's always some NPC talking to Mr. Blank Slate, and therefore having to compensate for every possible Shepard type with homogenized dialogue.

*applies to the only SR games that had a somewhat decent story
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#9DarkLordMorsulPosted 11/26/2012 8:06:49 AM
Mentalpatient87 posted...
cuteshamu posted...

Games like Saints Row and Mass Effect have somewhat decent stories in spite of the customizable characters. If Johnny Gat could shoot and drive, the Boss would be entirely superfluous to the story. And the universe and over-arching themes in ME are amazing, but they can't write a one-on-one conversation to save their lives. That's because it's always some NPC talking to Mr. Blank Slate, and therefore having to compensate for every possible Shepard type with homogenized dialogue.

I agree it seemed espeically forced when your LI was calling you by your last name.

it's also why so many Conversations ended the same way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq-p0ysCF6E
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#10Mentalpatient87Posted 11/26/2012 8:11:03 AM
Perfect example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXiU6kiq_Ms

A bug-eyed alien belts out that tune in front of you and the best you can muster is "thanks for sharing what you've learned..." Bland.
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"