So it looks like the game of the year for 2013 is definitely between...

#21wwervinPosted 11/26/2012 10:45:32 AM
How can you even compare this to Bioshock? One is a totally linear game and the other is a completely open sandbox world bigger than the last 2 GTA games as well as RDR combined. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for action games that are linear but there's just something so magical about being able to free roam a space as huge and as detailed as LS in GTA V.. I don't think any game next year will even come close to matching that.

I think Watch Dogs seems like it'll be a pretty good experience and much closer to GTAV than Bioshock, but even then I don't think it'll compare.
#22darealest47(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 11:40:16 AM
wwervin posted...
How can you even compare this to Bioshock? One is a totally linear game and the other is a completely open sandbox world bigger than the last 2 GTA games as well as RDR combined. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for action games that are linear but there's just something so magical about being able to free roam a space as huge and as detailed as LS in GTA V.. I don't think any game next year will even come close to matching that.

I think Watch Dogs seems like it'll be a pretty good experience and much closer to GTAV than Bioshock, but even then I don't think it'll compare.

Bioshock wasn't all that linear though and it gave you massive tools to work with. You could play the game without a gun and just use powers or hack systems. GTA is an awesome game don't get me wrong but bioshock infinite does seem more like a refreshing experience.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#23wwervinPosted 11/26/2012 12:46:46 PM
darealest47 posted...
wwervin posted...

Bioshock wasn't all that linear though and it gave you massive tools to work with. You could play the game without a gun and just use powers or hack systems. GTA is an awesome game don't get me wrong but bioshock infinite does seem more like a refreshing experience.

Well, the thing about these types of games is they give you levels to play through and you go through each level, and you have some form of control as to how you play them like you said. That's still pretty linear compared to an open world sandbox game. That's all I was saying. GTA has its own linear story mode but I'm talking about the general gameplay. Being able to explore the huge world of GTA V will be leagues above anything Bioshock will have to offer.

I'm sure Bioshock will be a great game in its own right, I'm just saying that it doesn't compare to what GTA V is offering. Also like I said, I think Watch Dogs will actually be compared to GTA V far more than Bioshock since they're both open world sandbox games and they both look great. Still, I'm sure GTA V will be game of the year in 2013. It seems like the most anticipated game. No way anything else takes that title.
#24Hales69Posted 11/26/2012 2:39:13 PM
GTA will most probably win GOTY next year but Bioshock Infinite looks amazing. Also I'm betting it will have more 'atmosphere' than GTA. Don't get me wrong GTA looks mint but Infinte's setting really intrigues me, as do the themes of patriotism, xenophobia and jingoism that it deals with.

Either way both games will be incredible.
---
I have a man crush on Charlie Brooker!
#25darealest47(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 2:55:26 PM
wwervin posted...
darealest47 posted...
wwervin posted...

Well, the thing about these types of games is they give you levels to play through and you go through each level, and you have some form of control as to how you play them like you said. That's still pretty linear compared to an open world sandbox game. That's all I was saying. GTA has its own linear story mode but I'm talking about the general gameplay. Being able to explore the huge world of GTA V will be leagues above anything Bioshock will have to offer.

I'm sure Bioshock will be a great game in its own right, I'm just saying that it doesn't compare to what GTA V is offering. Also like I said, I think Watch Dogs will actually be compared to GTA V far more than Bioshock since they're both open world sandbox games and they both look great. Still, I'm sure GTA V will be game of the year in 2013. It seems like the most anticipated game. No way anything else takes that title.

Either way both games including Watch Dogs will be amazing. I'm really looking forward to 2013.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#26sidstarterPosted 11/26/2012 3:03:55 PM
Game of the Year - Halo 4
---
:O
#27CaIiber345Posted 11/26/2012 3:22:38 PM
My pointless opinion.

GoTY means nothing. Actually, it likely means nothing to a lot of gamers, unless their a fanboy of the series that wins. It only means something to developers, so they can slap that GoTY banner on the game to try and boost sales after the fact.

Some points already made in this topic are really on the money. GoTY is subjective, and it's really all about what is your personal favorite of the year.

There's really no unified "authority" for lack of a better word, and no specific criteria with which they can measure. Sales? Quality? Sales don't matter because then CoD wins easily. But CoD is not the best game of the year, any year that its been released. (And I do play the CoD games.) Quality? That's completely subjective. You may have loved RDR's story, while others hated it. You might have loved Arkham City's fighting and controls, but others may have hated it. So on.

The closest thing we have is Spike's VGA, and that's a joke. It's only worth tuning in to potentially catch a good reveal trailer. So I say enjoy the great games you get, judge which one is your favorite of the year, keep it in your collection or...do whatever it is you do with games when you finish them. The important part is that we got to play.
---
Awaiting: Far Cry 3, GTA V
Republican Space Rangers!
#28Estabon1Posted 11/26/2012 4:03:19 PM
I'm a huuuuge Bioshock fan, but I'm willing to put my money on GTA V trumping it in the end. Funny, it's probably going to be the first year since '08 (GTA IV) that the generally recognized GOTY is released in the first half of the year.
---
XBL GT: Estabon89
From a problematic PC to a whiney girlfriend, nothing beats a foot full of fury.- Bubs
#29shadyelfPosted 11/26/2012 4:07:46 PM
If I had to vote for GotY it would go to GTAV for the replay value alone. GTA games on average last me 4 years before I get bored of regular play.
---
?