I created a petition for GTA V...

#1S0UTHERNC0MF0RTPosted 12/1/2012 2:56:41 AM
tl;dr is at bottom for all you non-readers.

For dedicated gamers around the world, video games are our passion. We spend an exorbitant amount of money on new video games and its downloadable content (referred to as "DLC"). However, gamers feel shortchanged when their promised DLC isn't delivered equally on time across multiple platforms because of an underhand deal between a game studio and a console maker.

Truthfully, Sony--creator of the PlayStation 3--and Microsoft--creator of the Xbox 360--have both made these deals with game studios, and I find it despicable when either console powerhouses author these exclusivity deals. In short, the deals I am referring to are the contracts between console makers and game studios, where a game studio agrees to make downloadable content for their video game temporarily or permanently exclusive to a specific game console or platform.

I want to prevent this from happening with Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V). In the past, Microsoft reportedly (http://www.1up.com/news/microsoft-paying-50m-gta-episodic) paid Take Two Interactive $50,000,000 for Xbox 360 exclusivity on Grand Theft Auto IV's downloadable content. PlayStation 3 owners had to wait over two years for the DLC because of this move, making the $60 these gamers paid seem a little too much.

With GTA V releasing soon, I want to prevent this from occurring again, for all gaming platforms. I want Xbox 360 owners, PlayStation 3 owners, and PC owners to all have equal opportunity to GTA V's DLC.

Through this petition, I want to show Rockstar Games--the designers of GTA V--that there are many gamers worldwide who do not approve of these underhand, shady deals and wish for all gamers to have the chance to purchase and play GTA V's DLC at the same time, not having to wait several days, weeks, months, or years. Furthermore, this petition is not aimed soley at Microsoft or Sony alone but <u>BOTH</u> console makers, so there is no bias in this petition.

Once the desired goal of signatures is met, this petition will be sent to Rockstar Games. Will you help keep one of the most exciting games to be released fair for all gamers around the world? All it takes is a couple clicks.

Thank you! :)

tl;dr -- Sign mah petition so that we can convince Rockstar not to sign exclusivity deals with Sony or Microsoft for GTA V's DLC.
---
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:10
#2S0UTHERNC0MF0RT(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2012 3:00:01 AM
Here is the petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/rockstar-games-decline-exclusivity-deals-with-microsoft-and-sony-regarding-gta-v-s-dlc
---
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
1 John 4:10
#3hawk540Posted 12/2/2012 9:50:28 AM
I do support this but to be fair to Rockstar who wouldn't accept fifty million dollars to do this sort of thing?
---
XBL Tag = hawk540
#4sal9e3sPosted 12/2/2012 10:17:24 AM
hawk540 posted...
I do support this but to be fair to Rockstar who wouldn't accept fifty million dollars to do this sort of thing?

Seriously. $50M is like half of what it cost to make GTA IV.

In the end, R* is a business like any other. $$$$$
#5sal9e3sPosted 12/2/2012 10:26:58 AM
And who knows? Maybe all that money is what's going to make V extra awesome!
#6SteamsterPosted 12/2/2012 10:43:01 AM
Meh.

Business is business, and patience is a virtue.
#7LordPonchoPosted 12/2/2012 10:45:24 AM
I don't think any body feels "shortchanged" as you put it. It's a game. It's not the end of the world that you have to wait.

Anyways, DLC is the cancer that's killing the industry. It allows for laziness and shorter development periods which result in shady practices of selling you an incomplete product as opposed to 5-6 years ago when you'd buy the complete game for one full price.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#8enterthemadroxPosted 12/2/2012 12:56:13 PM
I'm not one of those "tl;dr" morons but seriously, it's like you gave a history of DLC so I had to scroll down to the bottom.

Upon re-reading the longer part of your post, I have to say......

Why would they have DLC exclusives when they're releasing the game for Wii U, PS3 and 360? How would that work?

A game like GTA on all three consoles would have the exact same DLC no matter which platform it was on.
---
Getting awfully tired of GameFAQs mods removing my posts for being "offensive" when I've done nothing wrong
#9CaIiber345Posted 12/2/2012 1:36:02 PM
I believe this is known as Skyrim Syndrome.

But seriously, I do feel for console owners that don't get DLC. The whole DLC system has become a greedy joke for developers. Very few devs get DLC right, and even now, they're starting to muck it up. (Bethesda, Dawnguard DLC, PS3)
---
Awaiting: Far Cry 3, GTA V
So, what games did you play today?
#10ReDDevil2112Posted 12/2/2012 2:11:59 PM
Sorry, but 50 million dollars >>>>> a few hundred signatures. I dont see why Rockstar would consider some petition when someone is throwing millions in their face. But is it really that bad anyway? GTAIV was still 100% complete on it's own (even if the DLC did improve it significantly), and PS3 owners still got the DLC, so no one missed anything. It sucks to wait, but that's the way things are.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!