Rockstar is experimenting

#1WalrusIamPosted 12/3/2012 12:19:29 AM
Hi. I noticed a few things about Rockstar's games. In Vice City, they experimented with using cabs to go around the city once, at one of the missions at the money counterfeiter, and also in San Andreas, with the "trip skip". They then used this in GTA IV as a main type of transportation.

Then in RDR, you become a different character at the end (not naming the character to avoid spoilers) In L.A Noire, they also experimented with character changing, later in the game where you control another policeman. And now we see that in GTA V, they gonna keep going with the concept of character changing.

Quite interesting in my opinion. What do you guys think? Could you add any other experiments?
#2StarGoyPosted 12/3/2012 4:56:53 AM
Although V is yet released, the hype surrounding it on most forums seems lesser than that for IV. The next generation's installment, (even the coming one) besides aesthetics, needs to be something special, or it'll lose a bit of heat.

I say this because it isn't 2001 any longer. You didn't have everyone thinking they're the authority on what should or shouldn't be in the game; they were just happy that a new 3D iteration was coming out. Now, everything from music to the character's ethnicity is meticulously critiqued.

It's good and bad. Hard-to-please players force Rockstar to experiment, but risk diluting the formula. Easily pleased customers adhere to the formula, but can make the series stagnant.
#3LordPonchoPosted 12/3/2012 7:08:38 AM
L.A. Noire wasn't developed by Rockstar, and the character change had nothing to do with RDR.

As for the rest...why are you calling it experimenting? It's called improving and adding features. I realize that very few games do this today, but it's not experimenting.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#4ReDDevil2112Posted 12/3/2012 7:29:48 AM
L.A. Noire wasn't developed by Rockstar, and the character change had nothing to do with RDR.

As for the rest...why are you calling it experimenting? It's called improving and adding features. I realize that very few games do this today, but it's not experimenting.

Yeah, im a little confused by the topic as well, to be honest.
---
Yo, ding-dong, man! Ding-dong! Ding-dong, yo!