Based on recent events, how much controversy do you think this game would get...

#1hulkhogan1Posted 12/17/2012 3:45:36 AM
If we were able to kill children? Do you think there would be people trying to ban it? If hypothetically, Rockstar did include children in the game that could be killed, do you think they would delay the development of the game to remove all children before releasing the game to avoid lots of angry or offended people?

I know it won't happen, and I apologize if this topic is in bad taste. I am in no way saying I want to harm video game children; even before the recent incident it likely still would have created an issue. But I'm just wondering how bad it would be for Rockstar if this did happen.
#2VG_SoldierPosted 12/17/2012 4:29:29 AM
Probably another Hot Coffee situation where the game would get an AO rating and then the publisher would have to pull almost all of the existing copies and replace them with modified versions resulting in a massive financial loss.
---
If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him. ---
In peace prepare for war, in war prepare for peace.
#3tzar_666Posted 12/17/2012 4:51:27 AM
*grabs can of troll away*
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#4IGGYTONYPosted 12/17/2012 8:02:32 AM
In the digital world all things are fair game in my mind. Throw in kids, dogs, elderly, cats, makes no difference to me when I'm doing 60 down a sidewalk with a hooker in my car and a machine gun in my hand.
---
FF_vs_XIII owns a PS3
#5IiXxCodMw3xXiIPosted 12/17/2012 8:07:13 AM
Well the children was american too, does that mean we have to remove all americans from gta?
#6IGGYTONYPosted 12/17/2012 8:09:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7BetelJoosePosted 12/17/2012 8:24:54 AM
Cars hurt people, I am offended by that, I want cars out of GTA.

Now let me start a group of like minded individuals that won't listen to reason and go protest.
#8DragonivonPosted 12/17/2012 8:35:39 AM
As it is, there's already grunts about how videogames are to blame for the shootings in Sandy Hook, how media and games especially create a culture that's already desensitized to violence. If given a chance to draw a direct line with one game allowing you to re-enact the event, never mind that it's coming out after the incident, we would never hear the end of it.

Frankly, I think we have always been a culture bred on violence, America especially. Our founding fathers, the first thing they did when they got off the boat was start killing the natives and taking their land. The 1800s were punctuated by lawlessness where guns were what enforced law and often the guilty left hanging from a tree. The 'good old days' back in the 40s and 50s had little things called World War II and lynchings and shootings as well. It's just that nowadays it's easier to know what's going on. Nothing's changed.

I think videogames deflect more destructive impulses than they create; however, some will never make that connection and you can't put stats easily on when something helps someone not do something. Still, if you love videogames, then accept there's some situations that are just better for the programmers to avoid and demur to what's appropriate for the sociopolitical clime.
---
"It is much easier to be critical than correct." ~Benjamin Disraeli
GT: Dragonivon /PSN: Dragonivon
#9LordPonchoPosted 12/17/2012 8:59:40 AM
Dragonivon posted...
As it is, there's already grunts about how videogames are to blame for the shootings in Sandy Hook, how media and games especially create a culture that's already desensitized to violence. If given a chance to draw a direct line with one game allowing you to re-enact the event, never mind that it's coming out after the incident, we would never hear the end of it.

Frankly, I think we have always been a culture bred on violence, America especially. Our founding fathers, the first thing they did when they got off the boat was start killing the natives and taking their land. The 1800s were punctuated by lawlessness where guns were what enforced law and often the guilty left hanging from a tree. The 'good old days' back in the 40s and 50s had little things called World War II and lynchings and shootings as well. It's just that nowadays it's easier to know what's going on. Nothing's changed.

I think videogames deflect more destructive impulses than they create; however, some will never make that connection and you can't put stats easily on when something helps someone not do something. Still, if you love videogames, then accept there's some situations that are just better for the programmers to avoid and demur to what's appropriate for the sociopolitical clime.

They only jumped to conclusions because Fox News reported the wrong name as the suspect, and it started a landslide. It's since been corrected, and nobody with a sane mind is blaming this one on video games.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#10DragonivonPosted 12/17/2012 9:30:35 AM
LordPoncho posted...

They only jumped to conclusions because Fox News reported the wrong name as the suspect, and it started a landslide. It's since been corrected, and nobody with a sane mind is blaming this one on video games.

David Axelrod, 5 hours ago. Former senior Obama advisor. There are others as well; however, I personally do not believe their claims have credence. I just assert that there are claims against videogames being made in the wake of this incident. There are still mistakes and assumptions being made in this investigation, reminding me of the Benghazi situation with Rice honestly, but that won't stop some from trying to find something to blame and/or tear down regardless.
---
"It is much easier to be critical than correct." ~Benjamin Disraeli
GT: Dragonivon /PSN: Dragonivon