Anyone know about the setting of this game?

#11angeldeath21Posted 1/17/2013 2:25:36 PM
CruorComa posted...
You wasted over three quarts of an hour to get an answer you could have found in 5 minutes had you heeded nativengines advice. Yet, you thought he was the dick? People don't say "look it up" for the jollies, it's simply easier for everyone involved when you do. Asking about such things when you literally have the world at your fingertips is like stopping for directions when you have a GPS system installed on your dashboard.

You wasted over fifty words explaining how TC wasted his time when he could've just looked it up when you could've stopped wasting your time explaining his waste of time and just given your opinion on TC's answer, causing me to waste even more time questioning your time-wasting?

Time, man. Who needs it?

And for anyone unfamiliar with the board / native, yes, his comment could've come off as dick-ish at first glance. Vocal inflection doesn't carry over well on the interwebz, especially in a hive of scum and villainy such as GameFAQs. I seriously doubt he had any harmful intent, but at the same time I can see how it would be understood as such.

That said, no one in here is a dick... but damn. The whole "why waste your time asking" thing is annoying. Humans are social creatures and crave interaction. Why have a message board? There's more fun discussing stuff than there is in typing it into Google. No need to freak out on the guy.

Jesus, look at the time.
---
"We Do Not Sow; Hear Me Roar; Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken; Growing Strong; Ours is the Fury; As High as Honor; Night gathers, my watch begins."
#12hellfire582(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 5:36:28 PM
CruorComa posted...
You wasted over three quarts of an hour to get an answer you could have found in 5 minutes had you heeded nativengines advice. Yet, you thought he was the dick? People don't say "look it up" for the jollies, it's simply easier for everyone involved when you do. Asking about such things when you literally have the world at your fingertips is like stopping for directions when you have a GPS system installed on your dashboard.

No, I posted a message, which took about 1 minute. Then I went back to getting work done for the other 44 minutes or so before I checked back.

Also, there's no way it's easier to just ask someone to look something up when they know the answer. The amount of time it takes to type "just look it up yourself" is about the same as the amount of time it takes to simply answer the question in one or two sentences, and then the other person doesn't have to waste time looking it up.

Finally, as I mentioned before, the main reason I made the post was to see if anyone had any information beyond what is in the trailers, though I definitely also appreciate what anyone else gleaned from the trailers.
#13hellfire582(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 5:40:57 PM
angeldeath21 posted...
CruorComa posted...

You wasted over fifty words explaining how TC wasted his time when he could've just looked it up when you could've stopped wasting your time explaining his waste of time and just given your opinion on TC's answer, causing me to waste even more time questioning your time-wasting?

Time, man. Who needs it?

And for anyone unfamiliar with the board / native, yes, his comment could've come off as dick-ish at first glance. Vocal inflection doesn't carry over well on the interwebz, especially in a hive of scum and villainy such as GameFAQs. I seriously doubt he had any harmful intent, but at the same time I can see how it would be understood as such.

That said, no one in here is a dick... but damn. The whole "why waste your time asking" thing is annoying. Humans are social creatures and crave interaction. Why have a message board? There's more fun discussing stuff than there is in typing it into Google. No need to freak out on the guy.

Jesus, look at the time.

Yea exactly. In retrospect, he probably wasn't trying to be a dick, but at the same time it's completely pointless to just tell someone to look something up. If you don't want to answer someone's question, then just don't answer it. Telling a person to look something up just wastes your own time, because odds are the person already realizes it's possible to look things up.
#14FromanothertimePosted 1/17/2013 9:49:26 PM
I'm a dick!!!!
---
I love F.A.T. chicks
#15CruorComaPosted 1/18/2013 2:53:32 AM(edited)
I apologise if I came across as crass, but as I say "Asking about such things when you literally have the world at your fingertips is like stopping for directions when you have a GPS system installed on your dashboard."

It just makes no sense to me.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#16nativenginePosted 1/18/2013 5:31:05 AM
It is far more beneficial to a individual to do their own research and to come to their own conclusion, you may just find more then what you were looking for. Otherwise, the person who answers could potentially open themselves up to criticism to their opinion. This is why I answered the way I did. I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal.
---
Vegetarian- an old Indian word meaning bad hunter
Elected Leader of the GTA5 360 board
#17hellfire582(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 4:16:31 PM
nativengine posted...
It is far more beneficial to a individual to do their own research and to come to their own conclusion, you may just find more then what you were looking for. Otherwise, the person who answers could potentially open themselves up to criticism to their opinion. This is why I answered the way I did. I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal.

It's not a big deal at all, but I wouldn't worry about your opinion getting criticized. Regardless of whether the person has done his own research or not, telling him what you know or telling him your opinion can only offer more information. Then, the person can choose to disregard it if he doesn't agree with your opinion. However, telling the person to go do research for himself doesn't offer any new information at all. The person already knew that it's possible to research things.

That's my basic point. Offering your opinion adds information to the discussion, but telling the person to do research doesn't add anything. If you're just going to tell the person to do research, you're better off just not posting anything.
#18hellfire582(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 4:31:11 PM
CruorComa posted...
I apologise if I came across as crass, but as I say "Asking about such things when you literally have the world at your fingertips is like stopping for directions when you have a GPS system installed on your dashboard."

It just makes no sense to me.

Fair enough, but if you happen to see that someone has posted a question that you know the answer to, and you decide to respond, you might as well just answer the question. It takes just as long to tell someone to go look it up themselves as it does to simply give them a direct answer (assuming it's a simple question, like this one was).

Also, keep in mind that not everything is at our fingertips. For example, suppose someone on this forum had read an article a few months ago that offered some insight into my question. It would probably take me a while to find that specific article, but a person who read the article could give me the answer in seconds.

There are some stupid questions people post on forums like "Where was last year's superbowl held?", and those fit your GPS analogy pretty well. However, I don't really think your analogy holds up in this case.
#19RossardPosted 1/20/2013 4:34:11 PM
It's going to be the best of both worlds. Personally I love the massive cities, and Los Santos is definitely that, but R* has also said that the countryside and mountainous areas outside of the city make up an area larger than downtown, so it'll certainly have both.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/LeftCoastRyda/