Why do so many people hate on SA?

#21CruorComaPosted 1/29/2013 4:46:18 PM
enterthemadrox posted...
cordsman posted...
People don't hate SA, people hate the fact that everyone regards it as the better game (as apposed to GTA IV) because of nostalgia.

Nope.

I think both SA and IV are as boring and uninspiring as each other. Never had fun with either game and therefore, they werw a total chore to play, which makes for a horrible gaming experience.

It's like The Godfather, I saw it purely because it was considered a classic but I just couldn't get through it. I don't have a problem with long movies or character driven stuff but when the presentation is boring, my mind switches off. That's the feeling I had with SA and IV.

Wow. I'm honestly surprised.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#22art_of_the_killPosted 1/29/2013 5:40:01 PM
nativengine posted...
Um since GTA3, you know, when we got a 3D open world as our playground where we could do just about anything we wanted, no more fart button or cars with guns. Look at GTA3 's story, pretty serious with humor spread throughout. How is SA less serious then 3? Idk maybe it has something to do with gimp suits, sex toy weapon, a jetpack, oG Loc, colored Afros, clown costumes ect. If you honestly think that GTA hasn't been about realism then you are truly selling GTA short. Their stories have always had a serious message underneath, which seems lost on you. So because the games poke fun at American culture=not serious? I also never said there was anything wrong with Saints Row, just a little juvenile for my taste.

Bit odd how you're talking about how GTA3 allowed you to do anything you wanted; that's exactly what SA does---with much more options. I honestly don't see what the big deal is about the gimp suits and sex toys. Customization was optional. The jetpack was really more of an easter egg than anything else. At least it was fun to mess around with. It was the only means of allowing you to reach high places without needing an aircraft.

As for OG Loc, you can pretty much think of him as SA's version of Brucie. Both are annoying, egotistical characters.

I don't see how poking fun at American culture makes somehow makes the games serious. They're still full to the brim with campy elements and unbelievable scenarios. Whatever message their stories have isn't really that deep or meaningful, particularly when compared to a game like Red Dead Redemption.

Anyway, I don't care if you prefer IV to SA. I would just recommend that you avoid the Dead Rising series if you dislike tons of ridiculous customization options.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#23art_of_the_killPosted 1/29/2013 5:47:40 PM
puffinslaughter posted...
I don't hate on SA. I hate on individuals who can't except that there's a decent chunk of people who preferred IV, as though it's somehow imperative that the GTA community has a singular hive mind.

Individuals like creep, Maleek, art_of_the_kill. Shelby is getting there, too.

I can accept that people prefer IV. All I was ever trying to do was explain why some people dislike IV. However, what I don't really understand are the people who dislike SA for its massive amount of customization options and "filler", as if they're a bad thing. I might have enjoyed IV more if it had some of the "filler" that SA did.
---
#24puffinslaughterPosted 1/29/2013 6:23:17 PM
art_of_the_kill posted...
puffinslaughter posted...
I don't hate on SA. I hate on individuals who can't except that there's a decent chunk of people who preferred IV, as though it's somehow imperative that the GTA community has a singular hive mind.

Individuals like creep, Maleek, art_of_the_kill. Shelby is getting there, too.

I can accept that people prefer IV. All I was ever trying to do was explain why some people dislike IV. However, what I don't really understand are the people who dislike SA for its massive amount of customization options and "filler", as if they're a bad thing. I might have enjoyed IV more if it had some of the "filler" that SA did.

You're basically admitting you don't pay much attention to the story if a game with a good story and not a lot of filler is boring and a game with tons of filler and a horrible story is great. Congratulations.
---
Kris Letang stat tracker ~ 1 Goal, 3 Assists, -1 Pittsburgh Penguins: 3-2
http://i49.tinypic.com/20l12ld.png ~grape_purple ^_^
#25nativenginePosted 1/29/2013 6:42:10 PM
nativengine posted...
Um since GTA3, you know, when we got a 3D open world as our playground where we could do just about anything we wanted, no more fart button or cars with guns. Look at GTA3 's story, pretty serious with humor spread throughout. How is SA less serious then 3? Idk maybe it has something to do with gimp suits, sex toy weapon, a jetpack, oG Loc, colored Afros, clown costumes ect. If you honestly think that GTA hasn't been about realism then you are truly selling GTA short. Their stories have always had a serious message underneath, which seems lost on you. So because the games poke fun at American culture=not serious? I also never said there was anything wrong with Saints Row, just a little juvenile for my taste.

Bit odd how you're talking about how GTA3 allowed you to do anything you wanted; that's exactly what SA does---with much more options. I honestly don't see what the big deal is about the gimp suits and sex toys. Customization was optional. The jetpack was really more of an easter egg than anything else. At least it was fun to mess around with. It was the only means of allowing you to reach high places without needing an aircraft.

As for OG Loc, you can pretty much think of him as SA's version of Brucie. Both are annoying, egotistical characters.

I don't see how poking fun at American culture makes somehow makes the games serious. They're still full to the brim with campy elements and unbelievable scenarios. Whatever message their stories have isn't really that deep or meaningful, particularly when compared to a game like Red Dead Redemption.

Anyway, I don't care if you prefer IV to SA. I would just recommend that you avoid the Dead Rising series if you dislike tons of ridiculous customization options.

Wow, you must be 12, I never once said SA didn't allow you to do whatever you want. You asked "When was the GTA series EVER meant to be serious, realistic or believable?", I said "GTA3". I literally said that's when GTA turned serious and you spun that into "SA doesn't let you do what you want". How in the blue hell did you get that outta what I said?

My problem with gimp suits, a sex toy weapon, clown costumes and such is they just kill the "gangsta" vibe that was clearly being portrayed and makes CJ a joke. The gimp suit and the jetpack are in mission which means they are not Easter eggs.

I sure as hell didn't say poking fun at American culture=serious. Did you notice the ? after that statement? That was me asking you if making fun of American culture makes the game not serious. The games have always had a serious story with American culture satire.

I mean for f*** sakes, does your SA love blind you that much that basic reading is impossible for you? If you didn't care you wouldn't continue this SA cheerleading you've been doing for days now. I've said time and again, I can 100% understand why people like SA over 4, it has elements I liked too, what I don't understand is people saying GTA4 is a bad game. That's all, I have zero issue with someone liking 1 game over another but to say 4 was a bad game just doesn't compute to me. It's odd, my opening statement praises SA but I go on to say why "I" didn't like that and you spin that into this bull you keep coming up with. I truly feel that GTA may not be the game for you anymore. Saints Row has everything your looking for and more. And yes I do avoid the Dead Rising games, just not my cup of tea, now don't spin that into me saying its a bad game, it not I just don't like it is all.
---
Vegetarian- an old Indian word meaning bad hunter
Elected Leader of the GTA5 360 board
#26art_of_the_killPosted 1/29/2013 8:13:15 PM
nativengine posted...
I mean for f*** sakes, does your SA love blind you that much that basic reading is impossible for you? If you didn't care you wouldn't continue this SA cheerleading you've been doing for days now. I've said time and again, I can 100% understand why people like SA over 4, it has elements I liked too, what I don't understand is people saying GTA4 is a bad game. That's all, I have zero issue with someone liking 1 game over another but to say 4 was a bad game just doesn't compute to me. It's odd, my opening statement praises SA but I go on to say why "I" didn't like that and you spin that into this bull you keep coming up with. I truly feel that GTA may not be the game for you anymore. Saints Row has everything your looking for and more. And yes I do avoid the Dead Rising games, just not my cup of tea, now don't spin that into me saying its a bad game, it not I just don't like it is all.

I did misunderstand a lot of your post. When you mentioned GTA3, I thought you were replying to that part of my post, and that's what made. And since I never brought up how the game pokes fun at American culture (that isn't even the only thing that makes GTA unrealistic), I thought you were bringing it up to say that it did make GTA serious. So yeah, fail on my part.

Anyway, I've never once said that GTA IV is a bad game. I enjoy Saints Row, but it simply isn't GTA. Honestly, the only reason I quoted you in the first place was to ask when the GTA series was ever supposed to be serious when you said that SA is when they stopped taking it seriously. I really didn't intend to take it further than that. So I want to take the high road and end it here. My initial intent regarding this whole subject was to list reasons why GTA IV was disliked, but I took it farther than I should have. So yeah, I'm done. I'm sick of these topics anyway.

Oh, and I apologize for spinning your comments. That was not my intent either.
---
#27nativenginePosted 1/29/2013 8:39:54 PM
nativengine posted...

I did misunderstand a lot of your post. When you mentioned GTA3, I thought you were replying to that part of my post, and that's what made. And since I never brought up how the game pokes fun at American culture (that isn't even the only thing that makes GTA unrealistic), I thought you were bringing it up to say that it did make GTA serious. So yeah, fail on my part.

Anyway, I've never once said that GTA IV is a bad game. I enjoy Saints Row, but it simply isn't GTA. Honestly, the only reason I quoted you in the first place was to ask when the GTA series was ever supposed to be serious when you said that SA is when they stopped taking it seriously. I really didn't intend to take it further than that. So I want to take the high road and end it here. My initial intent regarding this whole subject was to list reasons why GTA IV was disliked, but I took it farther than I should have. So yeah, I'm done. I'm sick of these topics anyway.

Oh, and I apologize for spinning your comments. That was not my intent either.

Well I must say this is very big and respectable of you, not often do you see this on Gfaqs. Do you understand now why I am beyond sick of "GTA4 is bad cause" topics? I've been here for over a year now, a very good portion of topics posted here come down to "I hope this game has better music" or "I hope this game is good unlike" or some variation of GTA4 sucks. I've seen so many it's beyond hard to avoid when half the topics are focused around GTA4 vs. SA.

Understand, there was a lot of great things about SA if you ask me, but I play GTA for the story and stay for the caos but by the time SA roles around I had had my fun with the tank and such. SA story just spun way to out of control for my taste. For a guy like me who 100% every GTA, SA became a task. In 4 the only tedious task(for me) was the f***ing pigeons. I don't hate SA, I hate the fanboys who are unwilling to admit that GTA4, though lacking in some aspects, greatly improved on the core mechanics of GTA(driving, lifelike city, shooting, compelling story and ability to create your own caos), while also giving us multiplayer.

I'm sick of these topics too, which is why I come out like a bull now when I see them. I respect your last response and lets just leave this at you like SA, I like 4 and that's ok, their not bad games. Can we agree on that?
---
Vegetarian- an old Indian word meaning bad hunter
Elected Leader of the GTA5 360 board
#28art_of_the_killPosted 1/29/2013 9:22:03 PM
nativengine posted...
Well I must say this is very big and respectable of you, not often do you see this on Gfaqs. Do you understand now why I am beyond sick of "GTA4 is bad cause" topics? I've been here for over a year now, a very good portion of topics posted here come down to "I hope this game has better music" or "I hope this game is good unlike" or some variation of GTA4 sucks. I've seen so many it's beyond hard to avoid when half the topics are focused around GTA4 vs. SA.

Understand, there was a lot of great things about SA if you ask me, but I play GTA for the story and stay for the caos but by the time SA roles around I had had my fun with the tank and such. SA story just spun way to out of control for my taste. For a guy like me who 100% every GTA, SA became a task. In 4 the only tedious task(for me) was the f***ing pigeons. I don't hate SA, I hate the fanboys who are unwilling to admit that GTA4, though lacking in some aspects, greatly improved on the core mechanics of GTA(driving, lifelike city, shooting, compelling story and ability to create your own caos), while also giving us multiplayer.

I'm sick of these topics too, which is why I come out like a bull now when I see them. I respect your last response and lets just leave this at you like SA, I like 4 and that's ok, their not bad games. Can we agree on that?

This is respectable of you, too. Most of the time when two people are in engaged in argument and one of them tries to back down, the other will often say something along the lines of "Nice attempt at saving face." So thank you for also deciding to take the high road.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I went on a crusade against GTA IV in the first place. I don't hate it, and it isn't even my least favorite title in the series. I guess I wasn't really aware that there was also a lot of hate for SA; I thought IV was the most hated GTA title. So, I got ahead of myself and defended it.

But yeah, I can agree that they're both good games and I hope GTA V can stack up (as if there's any doubt =P).
---
#29tzar_666Posted 1/29/2013 9:26:15 PM
how can you not like the godfather. one of the top 5 all time movies. its like telling me you didnt like vertigo,house of wax, the birds, the shining,one flew over the co cos nest, the bird cage. geese
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#30CruorComaPosted 1/29/2013 9:34:17 PM
I find myself agreeing with you tzar, but to each his/her own.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?