is it just me or was GTA4 the only game in the series...

#1dataDyneSoldierPosted 1/31/2013 10:49:31 AM
...where it wasn't all that fun to go on random killing sprees? I can't put my finger on what is so different. Maybe I'm just older and enjoy the story now more than i used to. In GTA3-SA I used to have a blast putting in random cheats and just screwing around for a while.

I wonder if GTA5 will give me back whatever was missing in GTA4, if it isn't a case of me getting older.
---
Anaheim Ducks 2013: 3-1-1
"Search him. Then I will kill you." - Bane
#2angeldeath21Posted 1/31/2013 10:53:19 AM
I enjoy cop chases much more in IV, but I know what you mean -- I'm not as concerned with wreaking total havoc on LC as I am about blowing up cop cars. Iunno, taking a NOOSE Van (or the NOOSE Tank from BoGT) into Middle Park's walkways is fun.
---
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu."
#3ill-thoughtsPosted 1/31/2013 10:54:34 AM
i actually felt like it was More Fun and More Fluent to go on rampages in 4....mostly due to the smoother aiming and shooting mechanics....previous GTA's were kind of stiff, uncomfortable and 1 dimensional when it came to aiming and freeshooting.
---
True Crime New York City for the Original Xbox is PHENOMENAL.
#4PokeyBananaPosted 1/31/2013 11:09:30 AM
Yeah, I never felt the same fun factor as previous GTA games.
---
Currently playing - 'Life Simulator 3.'
Graphics pretty good, Med Kits don't work as fast as other games, only one save file, money cheat doesn't work.
#5Ricky Tony LeonePosted 1/31/2013 11:20:24 AM
I definitely felt this.

I'm not sure if it was because of the cop radar which basically distracted you from rampaging by giving you a minigame (to drive outside of the circle), or rather if it was just the overall realistic feel of the city that caused it.

One thing I absolutely loathed was getting a star every time a gunshot went off, or something else menial like jacking a car with the alarm going off. I think the realism definitely hindered the "fun" aspect of previous games.
---
Twitter: @RTLeone
#6daveliciousPosted 1/31/2013 11:23:46 AM
Personally, GTAIV was the best yet for that. I had so much fun just shooting people in the leg while they were on the stairs, and then watch them roll down the steps with the dynamics of the euphoria engine.

In previous games, once you saw one death, you saw them all... GTAIV finally introduced some impressive ragdoll physics and dynamic AI reactions that actually made all that screwing around more dynamic.
---
PSN: Davelicious GT: DavePeesThePool
NEW SETUP: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/Davelicious406/DSC02294.jpg
#7SteelToothPosted 1/31/2013 11:29:23 AM
I bet it's for a WiiU port.

Blame it on the WiiU!
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
#8SteelToothPosted 1/31/2013 11:29:23 AM
I bet it's for a WiiU port.

Blame it on the WiiU!
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
#9DruffPosted 1/31/2013 12:01:33 PM(edited)
Personally I've never really thought "random killing sprees" were fun in any GTA or any game in general. I only do that sort of thing very rarely, when I'm extremely bored and have just made my last save and am ready to turn the game off. On those rare occasions, I'd have to say it's more fun in GTA IV than the older games. Finding a good choke point, getting into cover, popping out and blowing away cops and watching their little hats fly off in an almost comedic way. Way more fun than the clunky cave man mechanics in the previous games.

I'll never get the majority of the GTA fanbase, thinking the older ones had better shooting mechanics, better driving controls and physics... f***ing pearls before swine. Lose the nostalgia goggles already.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#10blue_infernus27Posted 1/31/2013 12:01:58 PM
It needed the flamethrower and minigun. They were the most fun weapons in the other games...