Rockstar dropped the ball by announcing Spring 2013

#11dadkwasherePosted 2/2/2013 7:44:49 PM
GamingAnt posted...
Assassins creed has always been a great series.

lol

How dare you lol me!
(Runs away only to get run over by Niko)
"Velcome tew amerca"
---
Raiden: NRAGH why is I no loved?
Big Boss: You need to find a more political solution...tasty.
#12xPercivala2536xPosted 2/2/2013 9:35:09 PM
G-Ziss posted...
One thing that they've said in interviews is that they don't want to release any information about the game unless it's accurate, hence the lack of videos and information.

The fact that they announced Spring 2013 and ended up being wrong means they obviously weren't as sure about the the game being close to completion as they thought. And if they weren't sure, they shouldn't have announced Spring in the first place.

I'm not one of those liars who claims to have cancelled his preorder because nobody is stupid enough to pass up a game with this much potential over a misunderstanding. But after the delay, the fans have every right to rage.

No, nobody has a right to rage, it's a video game, that your paying $60 for. A game you will most likely enjoy, a game you had to help in creating. People raging over a delay of a video game are daft.

The employees creating this game have spent thousands of hours doing things like testing if this code breaks this code, or if placing this object to spawn for a mission breaks a mission 26 missions down the line, or breaks the first mission of the game, they spend countless hours and even more time lost with their families for a video game. If anything, THEY have the right to rage, not you. You will play the game, it won't be scrapped, it will release eventually.

I wouldn't doubt that Rockstar did some product testing with employees family(NDA hounded for security) and some of them must have felt that it wasn't as polished or finished as it could be, and Rockstar basically decided to delay it to do just that, add more finishing touches. No game is ever finished, and if you have any creation experience, hell even as small as a map editor like Far Cry 3s, you will NEVER be completely satisfied with the product. I've spent countless hours in map editors, and back in my younger days countless a nights on RPG Maker 2005 and XP(Ruby coding, gahh) tweaking and changing details, small pieces, things to make it better.

In the end there is a point when you have to step back from your work and take a big picture look and say "I'm done now." and be happy with it. You can ask any respectable game companies employees, the passionate ones, if they felt like their game could be better, and I can assure you many and many will say "Yes, it could. But release dates and time limits, and funding make us aim for the best we can."

In the end, we should be thankful that Rockstar and Take Two have such a long lasted relationship enough that Rockstar can say to them, or vice versa, we need more time to polish this more, instead of releasing something they aren't atleast 90% happy with.

A delay isn't bad. There needs to be no rage had over it, if people are honestly blindly angry and stay angry over it, they need to step back and reevaluate their priorities. They don't get paid to play these games, and those who DO get paid to play them have the leisure of waiting until they're released, they don't LOSE money, nobody does.

I can understand being sad about the delay, they said Spring 2013, but how were they to honestly know that it needs more polish, the game industry is like that, always has and it will always be.
---
"I ran into a mexican dragon earlier, he used Unrelenting Force, but it came out TA COB ELL..." - blasterfaster443
#13xPercivala2536xPosted 2/2/2013 9:35:44 PM
A video game you had NO help in creating*****
---
"I ran into a mexican dragon earlier, he used Unrelenting Force, but it came out TA COB ELL..." - blasterfaster443
#14ArabiandudePosted 2/2/2013 9:49:03 PM
xPercivala2536x posted...
G-Ziss posted...
One thing that they've said in interviews is that they don't want to release any information about the game unless it's accurate, hence the lack of videos and information.

The fact that they announced Spring 2013 and ended up being wrong means they obviously weren't as sure about the the game being close to completion as they thought. And if they weren't sure, they shouldn't have announced Spring in the first place.

I'm not one of those liars who claims to have cancelled his preorder because nobody is stupid enough to pass up a game with this much potential over a misunderstanding. But after the delay, the fans have every right to rage.

No, nobody has a right to rage, it's a video game, that your paying $60 for. A game you will most likely enjoy, a game you had to help in creating. People raging over a delay of a video game are daft.

The employees creating this game have spent thousands of hours doing things like testing if this code breaks this code, or if placing this object to spawn for a mission breaks a mission 26 missions down the line, or breaks the first mission of the game, they spend countless hours and even more time lost with their families for a video game. If anything, THEY have the right to rage, not you. You will play the game, it won't be scrapped, it will release eventually.

I wouldn't doubt that Rockstar did some product testing with employees family(NDA hounded for security) and some of them must have felt that it wasn't as polished or finished as it could be, and Rockstar basically decided to delay it to do just that, add more finishing touches. No game is ever finished, and if you have any creation experience, hell even as small as a map editor like Far Cry 3s, you will NEVER be completely satisfied with the product. I've spent countless hours in map editors, and back in my younger days countless a nights on RPG Maker 2005 and XP(Ruby coding, gahh) tweaking and changing details, small pieces, things to make it better.

In the end there is a point when you have to step back from your work and take a big picture look and say "I'm done now." and be happy with it. You can ask any respectable game companies employees, the passionate ones, if they felt like their game could be better, and I can assure you many and many will say "Yes, it could. But release dates and time limits, and funding make us aim for the best we can."

In the end, we should be thankful that Rockstar and Take Two have such a long lasted relationship enough that Rockstar can say to them, or vice versa, we need more time to polish this more, instead of releasing something they aren't atleast 90% happy with.

A delay isn't bad. There needs to be no rage had over it, if people are honestly blindly angry and stay angry over it, they need to step back and reevaluate their priorities. They don't get paid to play these games, and those who DO get paid to play them have the leisure of waiting until they're released, they don't LOSE money, nobody does.

I can understand being sad about the delay, they said Spring 2013, but how were they to honestly know that it needs more polish, the game industry is like that, always has and it will always be.

This man speaks the truth.
#15cheese_game619Posted 2/2/2013 10:13:57 PM
they never promised anything calm the f*** down

Technically it is still a Spring release, September is spring in Australia

woooooo
---
http://i.imgur.com/z68cb.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m070ogasVv1qeewbgo2_500.jpg
#16G-Ziss(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 9:03:59 AM
Personally, I think they knew all along that it wouldn't be out in the Spring and they only said that to get their shares back up before ultimately dropping again with the real release date being revealed.
#17hellfire582Posted 2/3/2013 9:52:12 AM
Dr_Kain posted...
No they didn't. They just said Spring, and it turns out they need more time. Would you rather the game be a rush job like every Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty?

And anyone that says they are not going to buy the game now is full of ****. Even if they cancel their preorder they will still buy it the week it comes out.

That's not the OP's point. Of course we want them to take the time they need to make a good game. It's gonna cost us $60 no matter how much work they put into it, so I'd rather they put in more work. However, it's irresponsible of them to announce that the game is coming out during a certain time frame unless they're absolutely sure of it. They have enough experience making games to know when they can be completely sure, and they made a big mistake by announcing the wrong release period.

Personally, I don't really care when the game comes out, but I know that a lot of people plan their purchasing decisions around when certain games are coming out. So, this misinformation probably did throw a lot of people off and cause them to either buy or not buy other things.
#18Dr_KainPosted 2/3/2013 10:34:50 AM
It's only been delayed by one season. They said Spring (Mar-Jun), it is coming out in Summer (Jun-Sept). Big deal.
---
GLaDOS 2012 - At least she admits the cake is a lie.
#19Dark_volkswagenPosted 2/3/2013 10:57:56 AM
hellfire582 posted...
Dr_Kain posted...
No they didn't. They just said Spring, and it turns out they need more time. Would you rather the game be a rush job like every Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty?

And anyone that says they are not going to buy the game now is full of ****. Even if they cancel their preorder they will still buy it the week it comes out.

That's not the OP's point. Of course we want them to take the time they need to make a good game. It's gonna cost us $60 no matter how much work they put into it, so I'd rather they put in more work. However, it's irresponsible of them to announce that the game is coming out during a certain time frame unless they're absolutely sure of it. They have enough experience making games to know when they can be completely sure, and they made a big mistake by announcing the wrong release period.

Personally, I don't really care when the game comes out, but I know that a lot of people plan their purchasing decisions around when certain games are coming out. So, this misinformation probably did throw a lot of people off and cause them to either buy or not buy other things.

^THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
---
Napalms and nukes may break my bones, but machine guns will never hurt me.
#20pITUFo_cRUDoPosted 2/3/2013 2:36:31 PM
hellfire582 posted...
Dr_Kain posted...

So sue them. I honestly don't see it as a big mistake on their part. In fact, from a marketing standpoint, it's a great idea to wait, build up anticipation, then the sheep will follow blindly.

I don't doubt that part of the reason for the delay is to polish off the game, make sure everything is working but it is also, in my opinion, about maximizing profits. This is a business after all, and the purpose of going into business is to make money. Aside from making excellent video games, R* is especially good at making money.