Rockstar dropped the ball by announcing Spring 2013

#21G-Ziss(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 2:18:03 PM
pITUFo_cRUDo posted...
hellfire582 posted...
Dr_Kain posted...
No they didn't. They just said Spring, and it turns out they need more time. Would you rather the game be a rush job like every Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty?

And anyone that says they are not going to buy the game now is full of ****. Even if they cancel their preorder they will still buy it the week it comes out.

That's not the OP's point. Of course we want them to take the time they need to make a good game. It's gonna cost us $60 no matter how much work they put into it, so I'd rather they put in more work. However, it's irresponsible of them to announce that the game is coming out during a certain time frame unless they're absolutely sure of it. They have enough experience making games to know when they can be completely sure, and they made a big mistake by announcing the wrong release period.

This is a business after all, and the purpose of going into business is to make money. Aside from making excellent video games, R* is especially good at making money.

That's an interesting point considering their shares dropped significantly upon the announcement of the delay. Not to mention Gamestop's shares.
#22pITUFo_cRUDoPosted 2/3/2013 4:14:13 PM
G-Ziss posted...
pITUFo_cRUDo posted...
hellfire582 posted...
Dr_Kain posted...
No they didn't. They just said Spring, and it turns out they need more time. Would you rather the game be a rush job like every Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty?

And anyone that says they are not going to buy the game now is full of ****. Even if they cancel their preorder they will still buy it the week it comes out.

That's not the OP's point. Of course we want them to take the time they need to make a good game. It's gonna cost us $60 no matter how much work they put into it, so I'd rather they put in more work. However, it's irresponsible of them to announce that the game is coming out during a certain time frame unless they're absolutely sure of it. They have enough experience making games to know when they can be completely sure, and they made a big mistake by announcing the wrong release period.

This is a business after all, and the purpose of going into business is to make money. Aside from making excellent video games, R* is especially good at making money.

That's an interesting point considering their shares dropped significantly upon the announcement of the delay. Not to mention Gamestop's shares.

I'm sure they saw that coming. It's irrelevant though compared to what they'll rake in come September and the weeks following after.
#23hellfire582Posted 2/3/2013 4:53:37 PM
pITUFo_cRUDo posted...
hellfire582 posted...
Dr_Kain posted...

So sue them. I honestly don't see it as a big mistake on their part. In fact, from a marketing standpoint, it's a great idea to wait, build up anticipation, then the sheep will follow blindly.

I don't doubt that part of the reason for the delay is to polish off the game, make sure everything is working but it is also, in my opinion, about maximizing profits. This is a business after all, and the purpose of going into business is to make money. Aside from making excellent video games, R* is especially good at making money.

I have nothing wrong with them maximizing their profits, but they shouldn't do it by jerking around their customers. Historically, they've made great games and made a lot of money because of this, and that's perfectly fine. But they're going to turn off a lot of potential consumers and harm their reputation if they keep putting out uncertain information and then changing their minds just to increase their profit margin a bit.
#24Dr_KainPosted 2/4/2013 9:40:55 PM
So because they had to delay the game to fix bugs, they are jerking around their customers?

No wonder Ubisoft has no problems releasing unfinished, untested games. They have dumbasses buying them.
---
GLaDOS 2012 - At least she admits the cake is a lie.