GTA MMO (just casual discussion)

#1CruorComaPosted 2/8/2013 4:36:04 AM
I think it could work, but it would need to divert almost entirely away from the pre-concieved notions of what makes an MMO.
Firstly, it needs to be sandbox rather than theme park, that's a given. Secondly, aside from pedestrians, law enforcement and perhaps during some kind of tutorial, there are no NPC's or "Quest Givers". Finally, there should be no story... at all.

For a Grand Theft Auto MMO to work, it should be an entirely player run criminal economy and general infrastructure. Traditional Guilds would take the form of "Families", "Syndicates", "Motorcycle Clubs", "Cartels", "Gangs" etc, with a custom ranking classification in each individual group. This could also include a "tribute" system, where a percentage from successful job gets passed up the chain.

The "Families", "Cartels" etc could then purchase be buildings, customized to taste(these will be part of the "social gameplay") to act as fronts for nefarious rackets such money laundering, prostitution etc. These fronts need to be protected or are otherwise vulnerable to arson, bombing, extortion and theft from rival factions.

Rather than skills and attributes and all that crap, all players are equal aside from the gear they carry. The equivalent of "leveling up" would be a system of Notoriety(For playing like a psychopath) and Fame(For playing like a proffesional) awarded for certain ways of playing, as well as Competency and Loyalty Reputation points which are awarded to you by other players for completing jobs, winning races etc.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#2DarkLordMorsulPosted 2/8/2013 5:48:25 AM
Seems like a decent idea.
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#3WickedfoolPosted 2/8/2013 6:20:02 AM
I think your ideas are good but I would think there would have to be some sort of NPCs or there wouldnt be organized crime at all. It would just be pure choas. I also think an opposing faction for cops, detectives, etc would help there be a bit of order. Plus you could have corrupt cops that you could pay not to take you in. On the law enforcement side, they could try and build a case to bring the "families" or "cartels" down essentially disbanding them. I also think there should be NPCs for businesses. I like your idea of the bigger crime groups buying and using property. This gives them something to lose and would hopefully prevent them from just going crazy on the city.

Basically, something would have to be put into place to keep groups from just going crazy on everyone. Give them something to lose for being sloppy and this would be an awesome game.
#4TRC187Posted 2/8/2013 6:31:11 AM
I think its a great idea for individuals who have an imagination and who can create their own storyline per se, I would love a game where you could technically create your own unique outcome and when you reach the point that you cannot progress any further, no two end games would be the same .. Unfortunately, the large fan base of people would have the exact same complaint they have with GTA IV, that there is nothing to do because (in this case) there wouldn't be a specific plot or storyline. It would be the exact same situation, and just as ridiculous.
#5CruorComa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 6:40:11 AM
Wickedfool posted...
I think your ideas are good but I would think there would have to be some sort of NPCs or there wouldnt be organized crime at all. It would just be pure choas. I also think an opposing faction for cops, detectives, etc would help there be a bit of order. Plus you could have corrupt cops that you could pay not to take you in. On the law enforcement side, they could try and build a case to bring the "families" or "cartels" down essentially disbanding them. I also think there should be NPCs for businesses. I like your idea of the bigger crime groups buying and using property. This gives them something to lose and would hopefully prevent them from just going crazy on the city.

Basically, something would have to be put into place to keep groups from just going crazy on everyone. Give them something to lose for being sloppy and this would be an awesome game.

Yes, I've taken all of that into account. Truth be told this is an idea I've had for years now, and I've extensive documentation just on fleshing it out. Yes, player based law enforcement is definitely in my long list of ways of earning money and yes, such players could indeed be on the pay roll, alternatively, can even infiltrate criminal organisations. Also, there are dozens of incentives for players NOT to go on psychotic spree's, so many infact that in an event someone tries it, it's likely they'll be taken down other players in under a minute.

The goal of the game, atleast for the criminal end, is to make as much money as possible, make a name for yourself and be a part of the higher echelon of the underworld. A player will have great difficulty accomplishing that if he's intent on playing as a complete nutcase. That said, there are many opportunities to earn money if you put psychotic urges to a use: Extortion, Robberies, Player Contracts, Car Bombing, Drive-by's etc will all be jobs certain players will pay to have performed.

Or maybe if you're so inclined you can be a part of, or lead, a faction with no goal other than chaos, Batman villain style, where you make the other factions work to take your organisation down.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#6Part3Posted 2/8/2013 7:26:23 AM
APB/Reloaded?

Or is that basically a 3rd person shooter without the functions your talking about? Not played it.
---
---
TIG - i like cartyooons
#7CruorComa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 8:07:31 AM
APB is just a generic shooter with an MMO dressing.
---
#8Sword_of_DuskPosted 2/8/2013 8:18:40 AM
TRC187 posted...
I think its a great idea for individuals who have an imagination and who can create their own storyline per se, I would love a game where you could technically create your own unique outcome and when you reach the point that you cannot progress any further, no two end games would be the same .. Unfortunately, the large fan base of people would have the exact same complaint they have with GTA IV, that there is nothing to do because (in this case) there wouldn't be a specific plot or storyline. It would be the exact same situation, and just as ridiculous.

I have to agree with this. The idea is a good one, though. Don't get me wrong.
---
"The angels have the phone box".
#9tzar_666Posted 2/8/2013 11:35:01 AM
nope it wont work.
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#10CruorComa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:34:14 PM
Well it was worth putting out there anyway.
---