GTA MMO (just casual discussion)

#11TRC187Posted 2/8/2013 12:37:50 PM
CruorComa posted...
Well it was worth putting out there anyway.

I like the idea, I'd definitely be into a game like that.. So many possibilities.
#12tzar_666Posted 2/8/2013 11:01:32 PM
wont work. to many cheaters. 13 year olds and garden state noobs
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#13angeldeath21Posted 2/8/2013 11:09:39 PM
Most MMOs have three competing factions (which a GTA MMO wouldn't have to follow, but I'm just sayin'), and I'm having trouble imagining factions other than cops and crooks.

Maybe like...

Cops: Focused on eliminating criminal activity in the city / state / world (good)
Politicians: Concerned only with gaining ground in their party (neutral)
Crooks: Main goal is to expand their criminal empire to as many places as possible (bad)

A PVP component could certainly feature three-person battlegrounds, etc.

PVE is kind of obvious -- maybe a party/class-based system with people taking certain skills in different stuff? Medics, snipers, heavies, etc. Iunno.

It'd be interesting, that's for sure.
---
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu."
#14tzar_666Posted 2/8/2013 11:14:43 PM
angeldeath21 posted...
Most MMOs have three competing factions (which a GTA MMO wouldn't have to follow, but I'm just sayin'), and I'm having trouble imagining factions other than cops and crooks.

Maybe like...

Cops: Focused on eliminating criminal activity in the city / state / world (good)
Crooks: Main goal is to expand their criminal empire to as many places as possible (bad)

PVE is kind of obvious -- maybe a party/class-based system with people taking certain skills in different stuff? Medics, snipers, heavies, etc. Iunno.

a p b
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#15iedahGPosted 2/8/2013 11:20:45 PM
APB/Reloaded?

Or is that basically a 3rd person shooter without the functions your talking about? Not played it.

APB proves a GTA MMO could work but the game itself is trash and fails to give that feeling of gang on gang/cop warfare in a seamless city.
Its strictly PVP and 95% of the missions involve "prevent team A/B from grabbing this item until the timer runs out". The gunplay is a mess too.

Worst PC game I have ever seen, good concept even though it missed the mark by several thousand miles.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=) --" Make things easy for people, not difficult."
#16CruorComa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:48:45 PM(edited)
angeldeath21 posted...

Maybe like...

You're thinking too close to regular mmo's. Factions should only be player created and run. Whether it be a mafia family, outlaw mc club, an investigation bureau etc, etc. No pre-established factions. No PVE, aside from law enforcement and definitely no classes or skills.

I'll give an example of gameplay to give a jist of what I have in mind. Keep this is mind, the following are all player choices..

Sindacco's arrange an arms deal with McCreary mob, This seemingly benign transaction can conclude in many ways.
---
* Deal goes smoothly
*Sindacco's arrange an ambush at the meet, forceing the McCreary's to hand over both the arms and the cash.
* Sindacco's arrange an ambush at the meet, killing the McCreary's on sight, leaving with both the arms and the cash / vice versa
*Sindacco's don't trust the McCreary's and hire a dirty cop to check McCreary E-Mails and Text Messages to anticipate an ambush. Dirty cop could either assist the Sindacco's, turn on the Sindacco's and aid the McCreary's, attempt to arrest all involved, give the information to a third party, or take advantage and give both the Sindacco's and McCreary's dodgey information then ambush them at the meet himself.
*Sindacco's don't trust the McCreary's and hire extra muscle. Same scenario as above.
*Sindacco's kill all the McCreary's, without taking the arms to send a message to the rest of the McCreary mob.
*Sindacco's kills McCreary liutenant in a car bomb and try to convice the McCreary's to join with their outfit
*Sindacco's give the arms to McCreary free of charge as gesture to form an alliance

etc, etc, etc

---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#17angeldeath21Posted 2/8/2013 11:33:47 PM
CruorComa posted...
angeldeath21 posted...

Maybe like...

You're thinking too close to regular mmo's. Factions would only be player created and run. Whether it be a mafia family, outlaw mc club, an investigation bureau etc, etc. No pre-established factions. No PVE, aside from law enforcement and definitely no classes or skills.

Interesting... but what would you do then? Just unlock new weapons? FFXI is a great MMO example of a player-based economy, and isn't Eve Online also all player-based factions, etc? A lack of PVE seems sort of silly, though, considering one of the biggest draws to GTA is raising hell.
---
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu."
#18tzar_666Posted 2/8/2013 11:49:43 PM
eve is the best shooter ever made. the game is near perfect. to do this with cars would take a massive amount of time
---
psn tzar666
xbox davethebakerx2
#19CruorComa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:57:48 PM(edited)
angeldeath21 posted...
CruorComa posted...
angeldeath21 posted...

Maybe like...

You're thinking too close to regular mmo's. Factions would only be player created and run. Whether it be a mafia family, outlaw mc club, an investigation bureau etc, etc. No pre-established factions. No PVE, aside from law enforcement and definitely no classes or skills.

Interesting... but what would you do then? Just unlock new weapons? FFXI is a great MMO example of a player-based economy, and isn't Eve Online also all player-based factions, etc? A lack of PVE seems sort of silly, though, considering one of the biggest draws to GTA is raising hell.

The goal is whatever the player wants it to be. Make money, run a business, expand an empire, random chaos, street racing, become a trusted enforcer, an efficient un-affiliated assassin or a ruthless leader. It's sandbox in every sense of the word.

Planning and strategy is the power of the game, not the size of players dic- er XP.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#20CoronelLinkPosted 2/9/2013 6:38:53 PM
Dude, don't give up willy nilly.

It's a good idea, but obviously you can't describe it fully fleshed out.

As per reasons to not get all chaotic, jail sentences should be put in. Not like TES though where you just sleep through your term. You have to serve your term in a fully fleshed out jail. With the ability to control your organization from the inside.

As for the reason for organizations to get money, and for it to be worth it, stuff should be priced IRL. So if a player is driving a Rolls Royce (or an equivalent type car), everyone else would be like 'That guy's a made man' or something. Obviously, there would be a door lock mechanism, so your car won't be able to be swiped so easily. As well as repercussions, like being locked up. Unless you have the skills to be able to swipe the car when parked without being caught, and without people knowing it was you, which they will know because you'll be driving the car. Stolen property would cost more to customize, and for the one that had it swiped, they would have to buy another one (or steal one), giving real value to money.

These are just suggested ideas. So things wouldn't be exactly like this.

It could work though.
---
No givesies backsies!!