this game WILL be announced for next-gen comsoles.

#21mastermind27Posted 2/22/2013 4:51:50 AM
I think it would be a great idea to release the game on schedule for current-gen and wait till 2014 to release the game on the next-gen consoles.

However I think that releasing the game just for next-gen would be a bad idea from a business standpoint. There's a far larger audience for current-gen consoles than for next-gen consoles at launch and it would take at least two years for next-gen consoles to have the same number of owners as current-gen. Plus some people may put off buying next-gen consoles for at least a year for the following concerns:

1 Large price tag

2 Possible bugs and glitches (RROD)

3 Possibility that a majority of launch titles aren't worth playing. (Not saying that the games wouldn't be worth playing but there's always a chance.)

4 People wanting to wait for a price drop to save money

And people will likely keep the current-gen consoles so they can continue to play their favorite games due to no backward compatibility

Personally I would rather spend $60 on a great game on a sure console than to take a chance on a unproven console with unproven games. I rather wait for at least 6 months.
#22dataDyneSoldier(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 12:39:10 PM
GodsHamster posted...
There is a lot of sense posted here. Does seem a bit odd releasing so soon (before or after the PS4 depending where you live, EU prob get PS4 in March?)

regardless, PS4 and the new Xbox are day 1 purchases for me, but would I want to play GTA 5 on a PS3? well yes I would. However, alot of people will be trading in there PS3 to get a PS4. I doubt i'll play GTA 5 as much, since i'll have the new shiney PS4. With DLC released a few months later, I know for sure I will not bother with the DLC. I'll be busy with my PS4.

Exactly. Hardly anyone with a next-gen console is going to buy the DLC. And yeah, the PS4 isn't backward compatible either, which means people that sell their PS3s won't be able to play the game anyway. In my opinion, Rockstar NEEDED to release the game in Spring (which they can't due to Bioshock) and now the smartest thing they can do is delay it until early 2014 with versions for current and next-gen released at the same time. I don't want to see this as a gamer, but if I worked for Rockstar and wanted to make a higher profit, that's what I would do.
---
Anaheim Ducks 2013: 12-2-1
"Search him. Then I will kill you." - Bane
#23LordPonchoPosted 2/22/2013 1:16:19 PM
dataDyneSoldier posted...
GodsHamster posted...
There is a lot of sense posted here. Does seem a bit odd releasing so soon (before or after the PS4 depending where you live, EU prob get PS4 in March?)

regardless, PS4 and the new Xbox are day 1 purchases for me, but would I want to play GTA 5 on a PS3? well yes I would. However, alot of people will be trading in there PS3 to get a PS4. I doubt i'll play GTA 5 as much, since i'll have the new shiney PS4. With DLC released a few months later, I know for sure I will not bother with the DLC. I'll be busy with my PS4.

Exactly. Hardly anyone with a next-gen console is going to buy the DLC. And yeah, the PS4 isn't backward compatible either, which means people that sell their PS3s won't be able to play the game anyway. In my opinion, Rockstar NEEDED to release the game in Spring (which they can't due to Bioshock) and now the smartest thing they can do is delay it until early 2014 with versions for current and next-gen released at the same time. I don't want to see this as a gamer, but if I worked for Rockstar and wanted to make a higher profit, that's what I would do.

Bioshock has nothing to do with the delay, quit acting so high and mighty because you think you know how marketing works. GTA would have stolen sales from Bioshock, not the other way around. The delay is to further touch up on the game.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#24TaikutsunaPosted 2/22/2013 1:55:58 PM
1) PS3 has a built in user base. No company is going to commit financial Suicide and take 5 years of development time and scrap it for a System that at present has NO user base.

2)PS3 and PS4 have completely different architecture. You can't simply make a game for 1 system then turn around and guarantee a release date 6 months later for a completly different system. you would have to rebuild the entire Game engine.

if anything, PS4 will get it's own version of GTA5, months after the PS4 release, and knowing Rockstar, it will have much additional content over the PS3 version.
---
I live my life by the teachings of Danny Elfman!
#25dataDyneSoldier(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 7:22:17 PM
LordPoncho posted...
dataDyneSoldier posted...
GodsHamster posted...

Bioshock has nothing to do with the delay, quit acting so high and mighty because you think you know how marketing works. GTA would have stolen sales from Bioshock, not the other way around. The delay is to further touch up on the game.

I've clearly stated that this is all my opinion multiple times, and I guess I'm forced to do it again. It is my OPINION that it would be incredibly stupid to release a game in the midst of putting out downloadable content for the game released before that. If you were one of the people that believed that both games would be released within two months of each other, fine. But I am not. I knew it would be delayed, and I ended up being right. I don't see what's so wrong about that.

So imagine you're working at Take Two. You have Grand Theft Auto 5, a game you know millions of people are going to buy, releasing maybe a couple months after a game you want to sell well. The smartest business decision that they could have made was delaying Grand Theft Auto 5. Oh, guess what? They did. It's no coincidence, IN MY OPINION, that just recently it was announced that you could purchase a season pass with Bioshock Infinite. This means that for roughly four months after release, DLC will be put out. Now, why would you interrupt that by putting out a game that we all know is going to sell better than Bioshock and will hurt its sales if released around the same time?

I'm not claiming that this was the sole reason for the delay, but I'd bet money that it played a big part. From a business standpoint, it would be foolish to release the two games so close together. Not to mention, DLC sales would be severely lessened by people moving on to Grand Theft Auto 5. It's plain foolish to release the two games back to back.

And, IN MY OPINION, they are currently giving some serious thought to delaying Grand Theft Auto 5 into early 2014 as I type this. I'm not sure if the new Xbox will be backward compatible, but the Playstation 4 will not be. People who plan on selling their Playstation 3 (and maybe 360) and putting that money toward the next-gen console will be hard-pressed to shell over money for a new game that they won't be able to play within a couple months, especially when some may be spending over $500 on the console (they're going to buy games and accessories, naturally).

I truly believe (yet it's my OPINION) that we'll see a current and next gen version of Grand Theft Auto 5 released early next year. It's the smartest business decision Rockstar and Take Two can make, and I'm sure they know it and are currently debating it behind closed doors.
---
#26dataDyneSoldier(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 7:30:16 PM
Oh, and I am well aware that Grand Theft Auto 5 would steal sales from Bioshock Infinite, and not the other way around. Not sure if I didn't word something correctly in a previous post.

Anyway, you basically said it yourself. Why would Take-Two put out a game out so closely after a game they want to sell well? And then you say I know nothing about business. They want to make the most profit that they can, and releasing those two games back to back would have been a huge mistake, and they knew that. And, of course, they want the DLC to sell well, which is going to be pumped out for more or less four months after the game comes out. Can you honestly tell me it would be smart to release Grand Theft Auto 5 in the middle of that? I'd really like to know.
---
#27dataDyneSoldier(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 7:38:57 PM
Taikutsuna posted...
1) PS3 has a built in user base. No company is going to commit financial Suicide and take 5 years of development time and scrap it for a System that at present has NO user base.

2)PS3 and PS4 have completely different architecture. You can't simply make a game for 1 system then turn around and guarantee a release date 6 months later for a completly different system. you would have to rebuild the entire Game engine.

if anything, PS4 will get it's own version of GTA5, months after the PS4 release, and knowing Rockstar, it will have much additional content over the PS3 version.

That's one of the two ways I see this playing out. Of course 360/PS3 will still get Grand Theft Auto 5, and I have never debated that. First of all, can you imagine how angry the fanbase would become? Secondly, as you said, not every gamer is going to own a next-gen console right away. I personally don't plan on buying either at launch at this current time.

My opinion is that we'll see it on both current and next-gen consoles. I would be shocked if we don't see the next-gen version released by Spring 2014, with slightly upgraded visuals (they're not going to completely remake the game) and added features that we won't see on the current gen version (or maybe just the paid DLC coming free with the game).

So while I'm fairly certain we will see a next-gen version, what I'm unsure of is if it means the current-gen ones will be released on schedule or pushed back for the simultaneous release.
---
#28mastermind27Posted 2/22/2013 8:34:18 PM
I say the game will release on schedule and on next-gen down the road. They never or very rarely have simultaneous releases with PC versions of their games plus Bully was released on both a previous-gen and a current-gen on separate time frames.
#29mastermind27Posted 2/22/2013 8:46:16 PM
As for DLC I think the DLC will come out between release date to Spring 2014 if the games comes out next-gen as well. Plus I think a lot of people will likely wait to see how reliable the next-gen consoles are before buying and I don't think they will give up on current-gen consoles cause they still want to play their favorite games from the current-gen consoles which they won't be able to do on at least the PS4. It would be a better idea to release the game on time to save some amount of trust with the fans and prevent a public relations nightmare.
#30dooyaunastanPosted 2/23/2013 12:11:03 PM
If there is a next-gen version of V to be released, I'd bet my bones that it's already in development, dev-kits for next-gen systems have been out for over a year now.
---
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. - Harlan Ellison