How does GTA IV compare to the others?

#1Kovalchuk_Posted 3/2/2013 11:46:22 AM
I just started playing GTA IV. I'm a couple missions in and I'm having a blast so far. I never played any of the first three so I was just wondering how 4 compared to them.

Thanks.
---
Gamefaqs:
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/too-true-g1.gif
#2bantha_fodder50Posted 3/2/2013 11:52:15 AM
Enjoy your can of worms.
---
If they don't kill you, they make you stronger. But usually they kill you.
RIP My Xbox 360, 2007-2010.
#3nativenginePosted 3/2/2013 12:11:37 PM
Oh boy, you may have just opened Pandora's box.

Depends on who you ask. Me personally, having played every GTA, 4 is my favorite by far hands down.
---
Vegetarian- an old Indian word meaning bad hunter
Elected Leader of the GTA5 360 board
#4DarkLordMorsulPosted 3/2/2013 5:07:30 PM
Ok here's the quick answer

A bunch of people will tell you the following(I'm one of these)
GTAIV is pretty awesome and the others were pretty awesome too.

Then you'll encounter this group:
GTAIV is lousiest god awful piece of junk and nowhere near as even remoptest iota as good as SAn Andreas the game God literally farted out and gifted to the world.

But really we can all agree(pretty much) Vice City was the best.

III was pretty good the others I, II, and London. Many here can't truthfully tell you about so you'll have to take Natives word on those he's cool he'll lay down some truth.
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#5TRC187Posted 3/2/2013 5:19:05 PM
Kovalchuk_ posted...
I just started playing GTA IV. I'm a couple missions in and I'm having a blast so far. I never played any of the first three so I was just wondering how 4 compared to them.

Thanks.

I enjoyed IV the best. Honestly, being that you're playing IV first with its HD world, I think it'd be hard for you to endure going backwards through the series now.. Everyones different though.
#6LordPonchoPosted 3/2/2013 7:28:10 PM
TRC187 posted...
Kovalchuk_ posted...

Thanks.

I enjoyed IV the best. Honestly, being that you're playing IV first with its HD world, I think it'd be hard for you to endure going backwards through the series now.. Everyones different though.

This.

Mostly because I believe those who like the older games more are simply viewing things through nostalgia goggles.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#7art_of_the_killPosted 3/2/2013 9:08:04 PM
LordPoncho posted...
This.

Mostly because I believe those who like the older games more are simply viewing things through nostalgia goggles.

Or maybe we were just unimpressed by how much we felt IV was lacking?
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#8DarkLordMorsulPosted 3/2/2013 9:25:32 PM(edited)
art_of_the_kill posted...
LordPoncho posted...
This.

Yes life was so much better when you could get tattoos that were covered by clothes and walk around in a gimp suit. Oh and did I forget the Jetpacks and hippy missions. Maybe you mean the lame DDR hydrolics missions. Or taking missions from a gangsta fryboy.

EDIT: Oh dear me how I could forget those amazingly fun times tapping x to work out wow... trully amazing gameplay all the way.
---
Skit Tells is Really good
#9ChronoAcePosted 3/3/2013 12:47:11 AM
Personally I thought GTA4 was the best in the series. Of course this board thinks VC/SA are the best games ever created period. GTA3 gets no love here either.
#10LordPonchoPosted 3/3/2013 1:17:21 AM(edited)
art_of_the_kill posted...
LordPoncho posted...
This.

You know. There's constantly this claim of what it was "lacking" yet never any mention of what SA itself was lacking that IV gained, which were much more substantial and useful things than what IV was lacking.

I suggest you either A. Reevaluate what makes GTA, GTA, and B. Take off those nostalgia goggles. GTAV is likely to be more of GTAIV, so why bother sticking around?

Edit: Can you please enlighten me on what was lacking that wasn't useless filler and clutter? I bet you can't.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800