How does GTA IV compare to the others?

#21WestcoastMikePosted 3/3/2013 1:55:09 PM
LordPoncho posted...
Can you please enlighten me on what was lacking that wasn't useless filler and clutter? I bet you can't.

To put it simply, it is the mission variety. It's what makes the core, or main/story mode game (excludes free roam and optional side stuff) less fun. To make it clear though, I do really like IV; just because someone prefers SA, doesn't mean they loathe IV. But about mission variety-- sure at the end of the day you're most likely killing somebody for a mission in either game, but SA has more elaborate ways of doing it (katana duel on a cargo ship, plane-to-plane jacking and having a shootout on said plane, etc.) with more interesting set pieces. GTAIV has it's moments, but given the length, they're scarce among what feels like filler with simple drive from point A to point B, shoot target objectives, with little unique instances to make it any more interesting than the last hostile encounter--maybe you'll tail a guy to a shoot out instead of just following a blip, but not often anything too exciting.

I remember one mission in particular where you have to climb and hang on top of moving truck as Niko, and it stood out to me when I first played it because, while not exactly extravagant, it was a nice change of pace from simple driving/car chase to shoot out missions. I believe CJ has a similar mission like this that takes place in the countryside, but it doesn't particularly stand out because SA has that variety and a mission like that is among a healthy helping of other stand out missions.

I love IV, and there's no arguing how it's better in some ways (physics, level of detail, etc). I just prefer SA based on overall fun factor. Not because of useless working out/tattoo parlors/valet parking side missions, not because of nostalgia. I just find it more fun to play.
---
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/picturelink/Rule_of_Rose.png
#22xHughJasxPosted 3/3/2013 2:40:14 PM
San Andreas is the best of them. 4 took a lot of features out so they could focus on graphics.
---
If there wasn't people who blindly defended themselves when proven full of s*** time and again, there'd be no religious people.Or republicans. -jowephocks
#23CruorComaPosted 3/3/2013 5:08:36 PM
xHughJasx posted...
San Andreas is the best of them. 4 took a lot of features out so they could focus on graphics.

And physics. Dem sexy physics.

When you shoot someone in the knee, they'll fall and roll down a flight of stairs a different way every time you do it.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#24DruffPosted 3/5/2013 11:01:08 AM
GTA IV is my favorite in the series, the world is so much more vivid and fleshed out and "real" compared to the others. A lot of people s*** on it for not having all of the same bells & whistles as San Andreas. Personally that didn't bother me at all because I viewed most of that stuff in SA as useless cruft anyway.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#25xHughJasxPosted 3/6/2013 9:17:52 PM
Gta 4 and vivid, fleshed out? You're playing the wrong game, pal.
---
If there wasn't people who blindly defended themselves when proven full of s*** time and again, there'd be no religious people.Or republicans. -jowephocks
#26hellfire582Posted 3/6/2013 10:14:10 PM
Kovalchuk_ posted...
I just started playing GTA IV. I'm a couple missions in and I'm having a blast so far. I never played any of the first three so I was just wondering how 4 compared to them.

Thanks.

In my opinion, they're all fun, but I think SA and Vice City are far better than GTA IV. For example, SA has a way bigger map, more missions that are more unique, planes and tanks, single-console multiplayer, and more side missions, all of which are lacking in IV. I also like the driving mechanics in SA and Vice City better. Also, GTA IV has these add-ons that you have to pay extra for to get the full potential of the game, which isn't the case for SA and Vice City.

Again, they're all good games worth buying, but if your time is limited, I'd recommend SA and Vice City over IV.
#27Perfect LightPosted 3/8/2013 6:22:11 PM
DarkLordMorsul posted...
Then you'll encounter this group:
GTAIV is lousiest god awful piece of junk and nowhere near as even remoptest iota as good as SAn Andreas the game God literally farted out and gifted to the world.

ROFL, this had me cracking up. Seriously, the IV haters act like SA was the best game to ever grace the gaming world. It was good, but IV is better is just about every way.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#28jazztronautPosted 3/9/2013 2:25:15 PM
after playing IV it's hard to go back to the earlier games
---
If you love your job, you'll never have to work a day in your life.
psn: jazztronaut
#29puffinslaughterPosted 3/9/2013 10:45:01 PM

It's obvious to me you prefer quantity over quality, in which case you should be playing Saints Row and not trying to ruin GTA with your mindset of "we need jetpacks, vibrators, hydraulics, hovercrafts, and useless side missions or else it's boring and stupid and poopy" which, strangely enough, would probably be the same thing any young kid would tell you if you asked them their opinion.
---
Kris Letang stat tracker ~ 3 Goals, 21 Assists, +7 Pittsburgh Penguins: 17-8
http://i.imgur.com/gKedoAK.png ~grape_purple ^_^
#30JvaasPosted 3/10/2013 1:24:18 PM
puffinslaughter posted...

It's obvious to me you prefer quantity over quality, in which case you should be playing Saints Row and not trying to ruin GTA with your mindset of "we need jetpacks, vibrators, hydraulics, hovercrafts, and useless side missions or else it's boring and stupid and poopy" which, strangely enough, would probably be the same thing any young kid would tell you if you asked them their opinion.

how the hell did you come to that conclusion?! i also think gta san andreas is the best, simply for the worldspace, the sense of freedom and the quality and variety of the missions... and the characters and humour in san andreas is gta at its best
---
i like skooma