Did Saints Row ever challenge GTA?

#1atastycrumpetPosted 4/4/2013 1:21:22 PM
Their closest competition this year Saints Row IV looks like total **** is even better for GTA.

I felt they had something in the first or second Saints Row but just ran off to much with the eccentricity of it, would rather if they try and challenged GTA a bit more.
#2fceurichPosted 4/4/2013 1:26:43 PM
yeah it will basically be saints row 3.5 dlc they should of just released saints row 4 on next gen take some time then they could say we be rockstar and gta on next gen but nope
#3jimbobrulezPosted 4/4/2013 1:39:21 PM
Nothing can or ever will challenge Grand Theft Auto.
It just has that thing, that magic.
---
split open and melt
#4LordPonchoPosted 4/4/2013 4:05:41 PM
jimbobrulez posted...

This is known as fanboyism.

If you said nothing has ever challenged GTA, I would agree.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#5-Jammo-Posted 4/4/2013 4:43:13 PM
I liked Saints Row 3 despite how off beat and crazy it was.
GTA has far better brand recognition. It's legacy will draw more numbers whether or not SR4 will be amazing or not. Even if GTA4 let down some of the casual sandbox lovers of SA, I think people are starved for GTA at this point that the fans will rush to buy this one to get their fix.

The trailers even feel more akin to last-gens GTAs, in contrast to the more serious crime drama feel of 4s.
---
"The truth is never a laughing matter." bigdsd08
A wise proverb. Nothing in real life is worth smiling over...ever. LOL
#6jimbobrulezPosted 4/4/2013 6:53:38 PM
LordPoncho posted...
jimbobrulez posted...

Sorry.
---
split open and melt
#7Jaws_ThemePosted 4/4/2013 11:35:50 PM
jimbobrulez posted...
LordPoncho posted...
jimbobrulez posted...

Sorry.

you better be sorry, now come here so i can slap ya
#8Devilanse333Posted 4/5/2013 2:34:28 PM
Why does Saints Row need to challenge GTA? There's enough market share for both games to do extremely well. Not to mention...there are people who will buy both games....like me.
---
XBOX Live Gamertag: DevilAnse33v2
PSN: DevilAnse33
#9Knight_Rider_3KPosted 4/6/2013 10:39:05 AM
Saints 2 was great. 3 felt like a small step back. In the same sense, I felt GTA 4 was a small step back from GTA SA. (Not counting DLC episodes)
---
You may beat me at a game, but with my smoking hot wife, I win at life.
#10enterthemadroxPosted 4/6/2013 6:17:13 PM
atastycrumpet posted...
Their closest competition this year Saints Row IV looks like total **** is even better for GTA.

I felt they had something in the first or second Saints Row but just ran off to much with the eccentricity of it, would rather if they try and challenged GTA a bit more.

I totally disagree.

SR IV looks cool from the 1 minute of footage we saw so far that isn't in-game, same as the GTA V non-game footage we've seen looks cool.

Anyway, the first SR had a great story but couldn't compare to GTA: VC but SR2 managed to equal it (I'm using VC because I think it's the best GTA so far).

SRTT was great and much better than GTA IV and SA because it had an engaging story, fun missions and they decided to go over the top instead of gritty crime drama, which I enjoyed.

I'd rather they didn't challenge GTA because instead of a "GTA vs SR, choose a side" thing, it should be that we love both because GTA gives us the gritty, realistic but boring game while SR gives us the "we know this is a videogame, have fun" aspect.

Depending what you're in the mood for, you have a different flavour.

Out of the two though, I know which of the games I'll be getting on release and which I'll wait for an all DLC version for. My gaming will be sorted from late August.
---
"If you don't like something, don't watch it again. Why whinge about it on a forum to a load of divs? Don't worry about it." - Karl Pilkington