Did Saints Row ever challenge GTA?

#11LordPonchoPosted 4/6/2013 7:34:33 PM
enterthemadrox posted...
atastycrumpet posted...
Their closest competition this year Saints Row IV looks like total **** is even better for GTA.

I felt they had something in the first or second Saints Row but just ran off to much with the eccentricity of it, would rather if they try and challenged GTA a bit more.

I totally disagree.

SR IV looks cool from the 1 minute of footage we saw so far that isn't in-game, same as the GTA V non-game footage we've seen looks cool.

Anyway, the first SR had a great story but couldn't compare to GTA: VC but SR2 managed to equal it (I'm using VC because I think it's the best GTA so far).

SRTT was great and much better than GTA IV and SA because it had an engaging story, fun missions and they decided to go over the top instead of gritty crime drama, which I enjoyed.

I'd rather they didn't challenge GTA because instead of a "GTA vs SR, choose a side" thing, it should be that we love both because GTA gives us the gritty, realistic but boring game while SR gives us the "we know this is a videogame, have fun" aspect.

Depending what you're in the mood for, you have a different flavour.

Out of the two though, I know which of the games I'll be getting on release and which I'll wait for an all DLC version for. My gaming will be sorted from late August.

I understand you like Saints Row more. And that's totally fine. But trying to claim it had and engaging story (apparently, skipping around in the plot, killing characters off screen, making generally no sense is engaging), had "fun" missions (most missions were tutorials to the side missions), you're just blatantly lying.

And all the footage of SRIV so far was in game. And looks like more of the same with super powers.

This comes from someone who has enjoyed the SR series.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#12BetelJoosePosted 4/6/2013 7:41:08 PM
*possible spoilers*

Saints the Third's story was crap from the beginning, a guy who takes the luchadore custom seriously and his name is Eddie Pryor... Matt Miller "leader" of the Deckers has his henchman with more backbone than him, DeWynters and Loren were seemingly leaders of the biggest group shown from the trailer only to be the most unexciting thing in the game.

Vogel and Julius craps all over that whole story.

Burt Reynolds I like, the boss becoming a wide eyed fanboy/girl/transgender over him is dumb.

SRTT lieutenants are stupid and deadpan from top to bottom, even Oleg. The missions were boring and unmemorable (except the last one) and Johnny G and Shaundi from SR2 got left behind and replaced by these filler characters.

The cutscenes dwindle in comparison to its predecessors, no wonder there wasn't a replay option or else Volition may get fan letters saying "Why do you allow us to watch this crap again?"
#13MUD VIPERPosted 4/7/2013 2:28:04 PM
Pro tip: Its perfectly ok to like both series.
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you too can become a game tester.
#14LordPonchoPosted 4/7/2013 2:36:25 PM
MUD VIPER posted...
Pro tip: Its perfectly ok to like both series.

Pro tip: Read entire posts before posting. I admitted to enjoying Saints Row.
---
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
#15sunchipsboiPosted 4/8/2013 12:15:40 AM
GTA is a Martin Scorsese movie, Saints Row is a horrible strait to DVD gangbanger movie.
#16BetelJoosePosted 4/8/2013 5:28:08 AM
which would explain it, scorsese's movies are boring, while saints row turned from a lame overdone gangster movie to some of the top quality movies you see on the syfy channel
#17RhyswrPosted 4/8/2013 5:47:34 AM
I think Saints Row is perfectly happy to be in second place to GTA. I have played SR2 and though it was a pretty good game actually, just does what it says on the tin. I thought it fitted nicely into that OTT niche that IV shied away from. Not played 1 or 3 so can't comment on them.

So no, I don't think it ever really seriously challenged GTA, but then again I don't think that it ever intended to.
---
Laws are a tedious business and counting coppers is worse
#18robo_robPosted 4/8/2013 12:09:01 PM
BetelJoose posted...
which would explain it, scorsese's movies are boring, while saints row turned from a lame overdone gangster movie to some of the top quality movies you see on the syfy channel

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but you must realize the majority does not share this opinion with you. Most people find Scorsese's movies to be very interesting and stimulating, and not boring and unappealing. Likewise, most people would not regard the C movies on the SyFy channel as "top quality". However, you will probably find that your tastes become more refined as you grow up...hopefully.
#19Devilanse333Posted 4/8/2013 12:55:47 PM
You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but you must realize the majority does not share this opinion with you. Most people find Scorsese's movies to be very interesting and stimulating, and not boring and unappealing. Likewise, most people would not regard the C movies on the SyFy channel as "top quality". However, you will probably find that your tastes become more refined as you grow up...hopefully.

You can't tell someone else to "grow up" when you can't recognize a joke post.
---
XBOX Live Gamertag: DevilAnse33v2
PSN: DevilAnse33
#20BetelJoosePosted 4/8/2013 12:58:23 PM
robo_rob posted...
You are definitely entitled to your opinion,

in which i am sure we all have our share of terrible ones, yourself included

but you must realize the majority does not share this opinion with you. Most people find Scorsese's movies to be very interesting and stimulating, and not boring and unappealing.

excuse me, do you have proof to back up this claim???

a few internet ´´critics´´ do not constitute as a viable source

Likewise, most people would not regard the C movies on the SyFy channel as "top quality".

more better than the crap ´´a´´ movies that are so critically acclaimed

However, you will probably find that your tastes become more refined as you grow up...hopefully.

maybe you should stop tasting crap, enjoying tasteless films and media would desensitize you from the pain you could feel in your sphincter sometime in the future....hopefully