Does the weapon system need reworking?

#1Worgen_FreemanPosted 4/18/2013 4:01:12 PM
Does the weapon system need reworking? - Results (56 votes)
Yes
60.71% (34 votes)
No
39.29% (22 votes)
This poll is now closed.
GTA 3 didn't give us such an expansive arsenal, so we were allowed to hold every single weapon in the game free of penalty. In follow up titles, we've had a bigger list of toys to play with, so Rockstar obviously needed a way of handling it, their solution: one weapon of each type. One melee weapon, one pistol, one sub-machine gun, one assault weapon, etc. etc. Though, there was one thing that I noted in GTA 3, and that was that they let you hold an AK along with an M16, and a rocket launcher along with a flamethrower. This, I liked.

The question I want to ask is, what if a player wants to hold 2 types of pistols? Or three? What if someone decides they want to use a katana then switch to a chainsaw, then blow up some helicopters with a rocket launcher, mow everything down with a minigun, then finish up by lighting everything on fire with a flamethrower?

Do you guys think it would be better to have a 'weapon slot' system instead? The basic idea is, a player would have 12-15 or more weapon slots, and the player can freely choose what to keep in those slots.

Weapons play a big role in GTA's gameplay experience and it also gives a tactical advantage for the player to keep a large amount of the more powerful weapons to dominate with through the game, but should that be a concern for this type of game? Which one is the better option in your opinion, the current system or a liberated weapon slot system?
---
That is all.
#2JACKSMMAPosted 4/18/2013 5:36:17 PM
I don't think it needs a whole re-do but I think more custom weapons would be nice and just a bigger arsenal of weapons. Weapons like chainsaws and flamethrowers I could do without, but I guess it wouldn't hurt the game, but yes some tweaking could really improve the weapons.
---
" If you want my advice give this **** up." Michael from GTA V.
#3SBBrealquickPosted 4/18/2013 5:50:33 PM
Ive come to appreciate the red dead system. Felt goofy at first but once you get down where everything is it's much more efficient then cycling through your arsenal with the D pad. they'll prob use that or some version of it.
#4Mentalpatient87Posted 4/18/2013 5:54:13 PM
SBBrealquick posted...
Ive come to appreciate the red dead system. Felt goofy at first but once you get down where everything is it's much more efficient then cycling through your arsenal with the D pad. they'll prob use that or some version of it.

Love the RDR system. Sometimes you need the Bolt Action, sometimes a long free aim shot calls for the Buffalo. And it was always great rolling away from a pistol fight to come back with a shotgun and roar into someone. I made switching weapons into an artform.
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#5afrodude77Posted 4/18/2013 6:45:14 PM
More weapons in each category would be nice and more melee weapons
---
We are the Lin Kuei, more stealthy than the night, more deadly than the dawn!
---
#6AKGunnerPosted 4/19/2013 9:24:20 AM
I'm really torn on this issue, but I think the best thing they could so to satisfy everyone is to have a "hardcore mode" option where you can only carry what you'd realistically be able to carry, and maybe have a wepon stash in the trunk of your car or something, but for people who say **** realism, the normal mode should probably be like RDR.

As far as the shooting mechanics and stuff, I thought GTA4 was great, the guns felt powerful and realistic, and the sound effects were good, but they've talked about tweaking the gunplay mechanics which I'm kind of surprised, cuz I thot they were fine in 4, in fact I had more trouble targetting old ladies/birds rather than enemies in RDR than I did in GTA4, although I do like to use free aim mostly.
---
where is the mudcrab at
~ linkbad
#7B0vrilPosted 4/19/2013 12:37:40 PM
I think a neat way to do it would be to have a limit as to what you can carry where, but the more you carry the slower you get.

So you can have one or two small weapons in your waist & you can hold say four over your shoulders if they have a strap. But you can buy all kind of holsters to increase what you can carry.

It would be pretty funny to walk down the street with an SMG in each hand, 2 pistols holstered at your sides, two rifles over your left shoulder, an RPG over your right & a shotgun in your jocks.

AKGunner posted...
As far as the shooting mechanics and stuff, I thought GTA4 was great, the guns felt powerful and realistic, and the sound effects were good, but they've talked about tweaking the gunplay mechanics which I'm kind of surprised, cuz I thot they were fine in 4, in fact I had more trouble targetting old ladies/birds rather than enemies in RDR than I did in GTA4, although I do like to use free aim mostly.

Really? I feel GTAIV is pretty sluggish, more so now. The gun sounds were good for time, but now they seem pretty cheap, I think

Anyways I think the Game informer preview mentioned that the shooting mechanics were being completely redone from the ground up.
#8jedgar33797Posted 4/19/2013 2:22:57 PM
B0vril posted...
I think a neat way to do it would be to have a limit as to what you can carry where, but the more you carry the slower you get.

So you can have one or two small weapons in your waist & you can hold say four over your shoulders if they have a strap. But you can buy all kind of holsters to increase what you can carry.

It would be pretty funny to walk down the street with an SMG in each hand, 2 pistols holstered at your sides, two rifles over your left shoulder, an RPG over your right & a shotgun in your jocks.

AKGunner posted...

Really? I feel GTAIV is pretty sluggish, more so now. The gun sounds were good for time, but now they seem pretty cheap, I think

Anyways I think the Game informer preview mentioned that the shooting mechanics were being completely redone from the ground up.

I like that holster idea, I totally pictured Schwarzenegger at the finally of Commando in your last sentence (but that's just me) I want concealment and stealth. I want pedestrians to react realistically when I'm walking down the street with a shotty on hand (which they do if you point it at them) but let's say I'm just idling with weapon on hand, no one even cares and they just go about like if nothing (cops too) I want popo to approach me yelling "PUT IT DOWN!" with guns drawn, only to fire wildly into the flashing lights. I guess it wouldn't much different from the arrest sequence in GTA4.
---
XBL / PSN: jedgar33797
Helping people rage quit since 11/26/08
#9ViciousXl2Posted 4/19/2013 3:14:07 PM
Didn't they say they were reworking it from the ground up?
---
The answer to your first question is shaddup
#10uNc0nTr011aB13Posted 4/19/2013 4:41:53 PM
Red Dead weapon wheel minus the switching weapons with d-pad. I'd like to choose single weapons (but still have all your weapons in your inventory) to assign to the wheel instead of scrolling through 10 rifles/repeaters when the game decides to switch up my main weapon randomly.
---
Take the idiot test; read line below for instructions.
Take the idiot test; read line above for instructions.