Controls and a "hardcore mode"

#1Sir_Mine-a-lotPosted 4/21/2013 2:26:16 PM
Would you prefer Red Dead style weapon wheel or the classic cycling through weapons?

Personally i prefered RDR weapon wheel. It was easier to use, and much quicker. Also, you could holster and draw your weapon just by tapping LB (holding it brings up weapon wheel. However, you know how in GTAIV you could carry ONE of each weapon type; i'd rather it was that way but with the weapon wheel style selection.

Also the fixed camera while walking.... hated it :(

I liked RDR controls better, so i hope it's not a step back from that.

Also, did any of you get the GOTY edition of RDR? There was a hardcore mode included, with manual aiming always on and it was something like 3 or 4 shots to kill you, so cover was a must, as well as managing health items etc. The game was well balanced, and you couldn't just run in and run and gun. you had to think and have a good aim. However, regenerative health shouldn't be in GTAV. I enjoyed the challenge of managing health and constantly stocking up on body armour and searching for health kits.
#2JACKSMMAPosted 4/21/2013 5:51:30 PM
Yes if they have a big weapon selection (which i'm sure they will) I think the RDR wheel is better than the D-pad selection style. A hardcore mode would be somthing to do for a challenge after you complete the game normally, honestly I wouldn't use it much I had enough trouble in IV surviving tough missions. While I agree a health bar is better for GTA I would like your health to increase in very small bits for each kill or goal met. I didn't like looking for armor or health when hurt, I also didn't like having to play super carefully when 1 shot away from death. Anyway even if the health system isn't like that i'll still love this game.
---
" If you want my advice give this **** up." Michael from GTA V.
#3JACKSMMAPosted 4/21/2013 5:54:51 PM
Oh I forgot I also didn't like the set camera angle either. A free cam mode would be cool for looking at the amazing Los Santos world or stunts.
---
" If you want my advice give this **** up." Michael from GTA V.
#4BottledWater05Posted 4/21/2013 6:34:02 PM
RDR was made by another team. L.A. Noire was more recent and it was finished off with a lot of help from Rockstar North but it had similar crappy camera that GTA IV had. I really do hope camera control is more like RDR. I also hope they get rid of snap-to-target aiming in multiplayer.
#5Sir_Mine-a-lot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 11:40:59 PM
JACKSMMA posted...
Yes if they have a big weapon selection (which i'm sure they will) I think the RDR wheel is better than the D-pad selection style. A hardcore mode would be somthing to do for a challenge after you complete the game normally, honestly I wouldn't use it much I had enough trouble in IV surviving tough missions. While I agree a health bar is better for GTA I would like your health to increase in very small bits for each kill or goal met. I didn't like looking for armor or health when hurt, I also didn't like having to play super carefully when 1 shot away from death. Anyway even if the health system isn't like that i'll still love this game.

Why does it have to be after you complete the game normally? I wanted the extra difficulty to be like an OPTION like it was in RDR. An option that you can choose right away IF you want to, instead of having to complete the game in normal (*easy) mode where you're a complete bullet sponge and can fall from a three story building and be okay, or fly from a bike at 100 mph and still have 3/4 of your health left. I'd just like the OPTION to have more realistic damage :D

It wouldn't affect you at all if you wanna play normal mode, since it's not REPLACING it xD
#6Sir_Mine-a-lot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 11:42:55 PM
BottledWater05 posted...
RDR was made by another team. L.A. Noire was more recent and it was finished off with a lot of help from Rockstar North but it had similar crappy camera that GTA IV had. I really do hope camera control is more like RDR. I also hope they get rid of snap-to-target aiming in multiplayer.

Oh man i hated that. It replaces skill and accuracy with *hold LT, then hold RT*
#7Mentalpatient87Posted 4/22/2013 12:01:13 AM
Sir_Mine-a-lot posted...
BottledWater05 posted...

Oh man i hated that. It replaces skill and accuracy with *hold LT, then hold RT*

Now, I'll argue that it was in place in RDR. The snap targeting made gunfights more about positioning, awareness, and cover instead of your usual circle-strafe, wiggle dodge twitch shooters. I'm sure that's your qualification for "skill," but I'm just not seeing it. The guns in RDR are too slow, and actually gain something from the snap aim. Lead-spewers like in modern settings (MP3, GTA) don't need that.

Free aim in RDR seemed to be more about who got lucky while trying to wiggle dodge like a madman. I want something that looks like a gunfight.
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#8uNc0nTr011aB13Posted 4/22/2013 4:18:01 AM
Games with as many weapons as GTA need a weapon wheel. It's a pain in the ass when you're blasting away with an AR and you need to switch through 10 weapons to shoot down a chopper with rockets. It completely kills the flow of combat standing/crouching there cycling through weapons while you're eating bullets.

As for hardcore, I'd love a hardcore mode provided you choose it at the start and can't switch through the playthrough when things start to get tough. It would reward persistence and strategy.
---
Take the idiot test; read line below for instructions.
Take the idiot test; read line above for instructions.
#9VeechaPosted 4/22/2013 5:59:40 AM
Mentalpatient87 posted...
Sir_Mine-a-lot posted...
BottledWater05 posted...

Now, I'll argue that it was in place in RDR. The snap targeting made gunfights more about positioning, awareness, and cover instead of your usual circle-strafe, wiggle dodge twitch shooters. I'm sure that's your qualification for "skill," but I'm just not seeing it. The guns in RDR are too slow, and actually gain something from the snap aim. Lead-spewers like in modern settings (MP3, GTA) don't need that.

Free aim in RDR seemed to be more about who got lucky while trying to wiggle dodge like a madman. I want something that looks like a gunfight.

Except no. I haven't played RDR online so I don't know how it works there but snap to target is pure and simply the game playing itself. It takes no skill hiding behind a wall positioning the camera so you can see players while they can't see you but it takes skill to respond faster and more accurately place the crosshair on your target. Which is why in games without snap to target most players "trying to get lucky wiggling like a madman" just get their ass handed to them. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a 2.7 KDR in Max Payne 3 in free aim AND with aim assist/target assist disabled.

I can understand you wanting a SHOOTER to aim (which is 90% of what makes a shooter) for you. Yes, it's hard to be good at games but drop the pretense that a game playing itself for you is anything but purely catered to noobs. You know what they call snap to target in PC gaming? Aimbot hacks.
#10Sir_Mine-a-lot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 8:01:06 AM
I have yet to see someone wiggling like a madman in RDR.

A lot of the time, on hardcore gang matches, when the standoff happens, it is a lot more interesting with manual aim off. you have to try and centre the screen near where the enemies head is before you both draw, rather than just tapping LT over and over to aim.

People use cover in expert aiming. in fact it's MORE useful than in autoaim.

If you think autoaim is a must have for you, then you suck at gaming.

Did you know that GTA is also a SHOOTER as well as many other things, and so if the game does it for you, isn't it just defeating the purpose of the third person shooter genre?