Controls and a "hardcore mode"

#11Sir_Mine-a-lot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 7:04:56 AM
I'd like to see a higher sensitivity setting, so i can swing round as if i was using a mouse.

I hated the low sensitivity in RDR. Even when the setting was maxed, the aiming was very slow, and so not much use in close ranges like in buildings etc
#12whiteboygenePosted 4/22/2013 8:10:59 AM
Mentalpatient87 posted...
Sir_Mine-a-lot posted...
BottledWater05 posted...
RDR was made by another team. L.A. Noire was more recent and it was finished off with a lot of help from Rockstar North but it had similar crappy camera that GTA IV had. I really do hope camera control is more like RDR. I also hope they get rid of snap-to-target aiming in multiplayer.

Oh man i hated that. It replaces skill and accuracy with *hold LT, then hold RT*

Now, I'll argue that it was in place in RDR. The snap targeting made gunfights more about positioning, awareness, and cover instead of your usual circle-strafe, wiggle dodge twitch shooters. I'm sure that's your qualification for "skill," but I'm just not seeing it. The guns in RDR are too slow, and actually gain something from the snap aim. Lead-spewers like in modern settings (MP3, GTA) don't need that.

Free aim in RDR seemed to be more about who got lucky while trying to wiggle dodge like a madman. I want something that looks like a gunfight.

I'm glad at least you get it. I can't help but laugh at these people who swear that they're hitting all of their shots using expert aiming, while both they and their target are on horseback. There's a reason R* made the default aiming in Red Dead SP and MP the snap-aim, and some folks just don't seem to get it.
---
What would John Marston do?
#13BottledWater05Posted 4/22/2013 8:35:25 AM
OH! I get it now! The point of video games is for them to make sure you never make a mistake! Thanks for explaining it to me!

... what a moron.
#14Mentalpatient87Posted 4/22/2013 3:02:53 PM
Boy, that comment made some of you shooter superstars pretty mad. Dare I question the almighty twitch.
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#15UnCool_HeadPosted 4/22/2013 5:19:25 PM
I've had a lot of damn good gunfights in RDR. Both auto-aim and expert... that's all... just for the record. I like penguins, also.

About controls, I'm worried actually about the driving ones. I still feel that accelerate/gas with RT is kind of generic (not to say odd), but in the Xbox 360 controller, it's better than with the A button, since it doesn't have analog values as in the DS3. I know it's good too for controlling the camera while driving, but as I said, I feel it's kinda weird.

And they should copy (there isn't a better word) the helicopter gameplay from The Mercenaries. That worked perfectly. I'm worried also about piloting the Hydra. Playing San Andreas recently I remembered how it was good for transport only... to fight, with was too problematic.

Thinking of a Hardcore Mode, don't know why, but I got the impression that if it's going to be one, characters change will be affected.
#16JACKSMMAPosted 4/22/2013 9:17:42 PM
Replying to TC i thats what I would do in order guess i worded it wrong.
---
" If you want my advice give this **** up." Michael from GTA V.
#17Mentalpatient87Posted 4/23/2013 2:23:42 PM
Sir_Mine-a-lot posted...
Did you know that GTA is also a SHOOTER

I had to revisit this. Did you know that you're wrong? GTA and RDR are third person action adventure games. Sure, shooting is one of the main passtimes, but the gameplay includes enough other activities in a large enough quantity that "shooter" is too narrow to define the title. I know I offended you by suggesting that skill is more than who can twitch fastest, but that doesn't make GTA, nor RDR, shooters in any right.
---
"Star bringing purple! Star bringing yorbel! STOP BRINGING YORBEL! STOP RINGING YOUR BELL!"
#18B0vrilPosted 4/23/2013 2:40:48 PM
Veecha posted...

Except no. I haven't played RDR online so I don't know how it works there but snap to target is pure and simply the game playing itself. It takes no skill hiding behind a wall positioning the camera so you can see players while they can't see you but it takes skill to respond faster and more accurately place the crosshair on your target. Which is why in games without snap to target most players "trying to get lucky wiggling like a madman" just get their ass handed to them. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a 2.7 KDR in Max Payne 3 in free aim AND with aim assist/target assist disabled.

I can understand you wanting a SHOOTER to aim (which is 90% of what makes a shooter) for you. Yes, it's hard to be good at games but drop the pretense that a game playing itself for you is anything but purely catered to noobs. You know what they call snap to target in PC gaming? Aimbot hacks.

ok ok we get it, you're amazing at video games, jeez.
#19whiteboygenePosted 4/24/2013 7:36:48 AM
BottledWater05 posted...
OH! I get it now! The point of video games is for them to make sure you never make a mistake! Thanks for explaining it to me!

... what a moron.

That's no way to talk to your father.
---
What would John Marston do?