Why are people so hyped for this game?

#1SolnotPosted 6/26/2013 9:44:43 AM
I don't get why this game is so popular amongst gamers. Can someone explain to me what's so great about the Grand Theft Auto series?
#2jman427Posted 6/26/2013 9:45:53 AM
Everything about it is great
---
no?
#3mst3kfan78Posted 6/26/2013 9:46:29 AM
No, we can't. We're sheeple and love things because they are popular. We just want this game to kill time before the next CoD comes out.

Does that about cover everything? Good, now go away.
---
There's a dude in the bushes--HE'S GOT A GUN, what's he doin? I don't know I don't know, RED TEAM GO RED TEAM GO!
#4BetelJoosePosted 6/26/2013 10:03:33 AM(edited)
Grand Theft Auto is the best man dating sim ever made. What is there not to like about that?

Activities include (but not limited to): Bowling, darts, watching a show or stand-up comics, drinking, and pool.

And that's only GTA IV!
#5BlueDemonDePaulPosted 6/26/2013 10:11:00 AM
Because you can do whatever you wan't.
#6Jennifer_34DDPosted 6/26/2013 10:53:50 AM
If you have to ask you probably wouldn't understand the answer anyway but I'll give it a try. Most people get it or they don't. If you've tried it and didn't like it nothing I can say will get into it but I will say this. I got hooked on open world games by a game from the late 90's by Rockstar called Smuggler's Run. That led me to the Midnight Club Games, which led me to GTA 3. Open World. Open Ended games where you can go anywhere or do anything you want might not appeal to everyone, but for me the appeal is in being able to play the game the way I want to play it.

This game primarily appeals to young men, usually because "doing anything you want" to them means, blowing things up, killing people at random, and all the anti-social behavior that makes the establishment want to denounce gaming, as destroying our youth, and de-sensitizing them to violence. I've never played these games that way. I've had every game in the series, I've never killed a hooker, blown up anything for the sake of blowing it up and, I make it a point to not run down pedestrians while driving. (That's not always possible on some missions, but I do make it a point to try, even at the expense of failing the mission) I've gotten to 100% completion of the game on them all, committing only the violent acts necessary to complete the missions and have my character defend himself if attacked by an NPC (which happens less and less often as the games have progressed beyond GTA 3).

One of my favorite things about GTA San Andreas was that while you had to be pretty well strapped at all times in Los Santos, you could explore San Fierro, and Las Venturas unarmed for hours on end, and find plenty of fun things to do without even drawing a weapon, let alone having to discharge it.

The thing that hypes me so much for the GTA games is that it's the best open world game that you can play the way you want. Someone like me who rarely fires an unnecessary shot, swears by this game the same way as the guys who spill blood and use gunpowder by the barrel.

That's why I think people are so hyped for this game.
#7youvegotmarcPosted 6/26/2013 11:41:57 AM
Maybe you could give an example as to why you feel it doesn't deserve the hype?

The GTA games up to this point maintain a pretty solid formula of providing a cathartic open world to explore and reign terror over.
#8Lunacy182Posted 6/26/2013 12:46:57 PM
Because its fun and I'm excited to play something that's fun. Strange concept I know.
---
The above text is the opinion of the poster.
"How do I screen shot real life?" - Xeeh_Bitz
#9Astro_B0mbPosted 6/26/2013 12:58:18 PM
Jennifer_34DD posted...
If you have to ask you probably wouldn't understand the answer anyway but I'll give it a try. Most people get it or they don't. If you've tried it and didn't like it nothing I can say will get into it but I will say this. I got hooked on open world games by a game from the late 90's by Rockstar called Smuggler's Run. That led me to the Midnight Club Games, which led me to GTA 3. Open World. Open Ended games where you can go anywhere or do anything you want might not appeal to everyone, but for me the appeal is in being able to play the game the way I want to play it.

This game primarily appeals to young men, usually because "doing anything you want" to them means, blowing things up, killing people at random, and all the anti-social behavior that makes the establishment want to denounce gaming, as destroying our youth, and de-sensitizing them to violence. I've never played these games that way. I've had every game in the series, I've never killed a hooker, blown up anything for the sake of blowing it up and, I make it a point to not run down pedestrians while driving. (That's not always possible on some missions, but I do make it a point to try, even at the expense of failing the mission) I've gotten to 100% completion of the game on them all, committing only the violent acts necessary to complete the missions and have my character defend himself if attacked by an NPC (which happens less and less often as the games have progressed beyond GTA 3).

One of my favorite things about GTA San Andreas was that while you had to be pretty well strapped at all times in Los Santos, you could explore San Fierro, and Las Venturas unarmed for hours on end, and find plenty of fun things to do without even drawing a weapon, let alone having to discharge it.

The thing that hypes me so much for the GTA games is that it's the best open world game that you can play the way you want. Someone like me who rarely fires an unnecessary shot, swears by this game the same way as the guys who spill blood and use gunpowder by the barrel.

That's why I think people are so hyped for this game.

What he said minus all the video game morality.
---
.:The Elite Connection:.
#10ill-thoughtsPosted 6/26/2013 2:20:15 PM
its like real life only its a game....and the penality for doing whatever you want is ALOT less harsh in the game than it would be in real life.
---
does Watch Dogs have drug wars, turf wars, hitman, cop and heist missions, buying property, hookers, blimps, hockey masks, crew shooting and flipping the bird??